Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Hey, anyone else notice - no pop shields in early Abbey Road pics?  (Read 3405 times)

alexis

• A Thousand Pages

You know those things in front of mics to tame the "plosives" ("p" sounds, "b" sounds, etc.)? They look like mesh stretched across a frame, they're everywhere in studios now, you can even make them at home by stretching a stocking across a coat hangar frame. Here's a reference to them ... http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may05/articles/popshields.htm

It seems by the pics that they didn't start using them until a few years into their Studio Two experience. One of many examples, check out at 3:12 into this video, singing into the Neumann Mic ( http://www.hestudiotechnik.de/image/microfones/2008/u47neumann.jpg ) without a pop shield:
The Beatles On Record (part 1)

They start showing up in pics within a year or so.  I guess maybe people didn't know they "needed" to use them back then?

But my real question is - I wonder why those earliest vocals sounded so good WITHOUT pop shields ... no horrible plosives (Please Please Me, for example, not PPPlease PPPlease Me). Could say maybe the mics were so good (those Neumann's are like gold!) they didn't need pop shields, but if that were the case, they wouldn't have started appearing in the photos in the next year or so.

Any thoughts?

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
Re: Hey, anyone else notice - no pop shields in early Abbey Road pics?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 08:34:08 AM »

To get that raw early sound perhaps they just used 'side on' type techniques to prevent syllable pops. When the songwriting really came into play and more close miked singing was involved then the pop shield would have been absolutely necessary.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 03:41:27 AM »

To get that raw early sound perhaps they just used 'side on' type techniques to prevent syllable pops. When the songwriting really came into play and more close miked singing was involved then the pop shield would have been absolutely necessary.

Wow, Apple, that really makes a lot of sense. Live sound - sing far from mic - no pop shield needed; good songwriting - sing close - use pop shields.

Gotta wonder - in the quieter songs in Please Please Me (like Anna) - was it close-mic'd/with a pop shield?

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 07:46:59 PM »

nice....... ;D

Page created in 0.904 seconds with 46 queries.