Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Overrated.  (Read 6550 times)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Overrated.
« on: February 02, 2005, 02:20:45 PM »

Ok-here we go.
I think George, as an artist, is somewhat overrated. He came up with a handful of good songs while a Beatle. And please don't say that's because Paul and John stifled him. Look at All Things Must Pass- the best songs he'd been saving up and at best its an OK album (noone but an ardent Beatles fan would put it in their top 50) then its downhill from there (Extratexture, 331/3, Darkhorse are just plain ordinary).
As a vocalist he's mediocre-check him out live on Bangladesh-he struggles to hold a note. None of his Beatle vocals are exceptional (again at best he's OK, but no range, no emotion).
And as a guitar player-what does he do that Paul (and a million others) can't?
Alright-let me have it!
don't follow leaders
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Bruno

• A Thousand Pages
  • The choice is yours, don't be late
Re: Overrated.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 02:36:46 PM »

ATMP is an awesome album and the title song is far from being the only good  number. My Sweet Lord, Isnt A Pity, Apple Scruffs, Beware of Darkness, The Art of Dying... it's easily one of the best albums by a former beatle.
I do agree that the following albums weren't as good as the first one but they have good songs. Cloud Nine is a pretty good album.

---powered by Moondogs®---

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 02:44:33 PM »

Quote from: Bruno
. it's easily one of the best albums by a former beatle.
I do agree that the following albums weren't as good as the first one but they have good songs. Cloud Nine is a pretty good album.

Agreed-but the competition ain't that good is it?
I think "pretty good" pretty well sums it up
don't follow leaders

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 08:39:18 PM »

Only somewhat overrated. Sadly, he was not paid much attention when he was alive as when he was dead. And now, just like John, people tend to put him up on a pedestal.
That's not to say that George hasn't written some killer songs.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Fried_Chicken

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 08:46:42 PM »

hes not overrated

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005, 12:58:34 AM »

I think 'All Things Must Pass' is pretty close to a masterpiece and easily the greatest Beatle solo effort out there. 'Brainwashed' is also incredible. I think George plays lead with alot more conviction and feeling than Paul ever did. I feel he was underated if anything.

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2005, 02:08:54 AM »

All things Must Pass is the greatest Beatle solo record in my opinion.

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005, 08:54:22 AM »

Man, I was expecting a TORRENT of abuse.
Do I have to turn into a Dirke to stir you guys up?
Oh well.   ;)
don't follow leaders

DayTripper

• A Beginning
  • Beware of Darkness
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2005, 10:35:53 AM »

no range, no EMOTION? oh god, who says a voice needs to be perfect to be good?? george is one of the most emotional singers i can think of! how is he overated? he gets little recognition as it is. oh my. his voice is wonderful, flaws give character. perhaps he is not the most technical guitarist around, but george guitar solos are so beautiful, and so characteristic of george, his guitar was his way of putting into the beatles when he wasnt singing, they might have been able to limit his vocal time......but he sings through his guitar, i hear it in ever song.
Beware of sadness, it can hit you, it can hurt you.....

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2005, 10:42:13 AM »

Quote from: DayTripper
no range, no EMOTION? oh god, who says a voice needs to be perfect to be good?? george is one of the most emotional singers i can think of

Sorry mate, can't hear it. I listen to While My guitar..., Here Comes...., Something, and I hear someone doing, at best, an OK job. Imagine Paul singing Something! Then we'd be talking.
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2005, 10:47:21 AM »

Quote from: DayTripper
, but george guitar solos are so beautiful,

Examples please (Beatle stuff only for now)
don't follow leaders

Bruno

• A Thousand Pages
  • The choice is yours, don't be late
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2005, 03:28:50 PM »

Drive My Car, Let It Be, Hey Bulldog, Nowhere Man....