Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New book PAUL MCCARTNEY. RECORDING SESSIONS (1969-2013) is out!  (Read 12094 times)

backseat

• One And One Is Two
New book PAUL MCCARTNEY. RECORDING SESSIONS (1969-2013) is out!
« on: December 04, 2013, 10:30:02 PM »

Dear all, I finally made it!
The book is available on Amazon Europe marketplaces (UK, France, Spain, Germany) with export option all over the world from UK and Spain.

PRODUCT INFORMATION:

TITLE: Paul McCartney: Recording Sessions (1969-2013). A journey through Paul McCartney's songs after the Beatles. Foreword by Tony Clark.
AUTHOR: Luca Perasi
PAGES: 440
PRICE: 28 euros
ISBN: 9788890912214
DESCRIPTION: The stories behind all of Paul McCartney’s solo career songs in chronological order of recording, from McCartney to New. Recording dates, studios and “who played what” on each song. Includes 70 exclusive interviews with musicians, arrangers, producers and collaborators who worked with McCartney through the years: Denny Seiwell, Laurence Juber, Richard Niles, Richard Hewson, Alan O'Duffy, Carl Davis, Neil Dorfsman, Carlos Alomar, Jerry Marotta, Steve Holly... and many others!

The book is a song-by-song presentation of 383 songs officially released by Paul in his solo career. This is the complete list of people I interviewed for the book:
Carlos Alomar, Kevin Armstrong, Pete Beachill, Stephanie Bennet, Mark Berry, Robin Black, Brian Blood, Carlos Bonell, John Bradbury, Geoffrey Brand, Adrian Brett, Alan Broadbent, John Lang Brown, Ron Carter, David Clayton, John Clayton, Tony Clark, Tony Coe, Jerry Conway, Carl Davis, Chris “Snake” Davis, Richard Davis, Neil Dorfsman, Pedro Eustache, Frank Farrell, Brent and Clare Fischer, Martyn Ford, Greg Hawkes, Gary Herbig, Richard Hewson, Steve Holly, Gordon Hunt, Laurence Juber, David Juritz, Brian Kay, Gary Kettel, James Kippen, John Leach, John Leckie, Steve Lyon, Wil Malone, Jerry Marotta, Dave Mattacks, Dave Matthews, Bazel Meade, Richard Niles, Leo Nocentelli, Dave O’Donnell, Alan O’Duffy, Lance Phillips, David Pogson, George Porter jr., Maurizio Ravalico, David Rhodes, Denny Seiwell, Kenneth Sillito, Marvin Stamm, Mike Stavrou, Stan Sulzmann, Tim Summerhayes, Joby Talbot, Michael Thompson, Fiachra Trench, Mike Vickers, Graham Ward, Stephen Wick, Ernie Winfrey, Bill Wolfer.

Links:

UK
http://www.amazon.co.uk/McCartney-Recording-1969-2013-McCartneys-Paperback/dp/8890912219/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386195159&sr=8-1&keywords=paul+mccartney+recording+sessions

SPAIN

http://www.amazon.es/McCartney-Recording-sessions-1969-2013-McCartneys/dp/8890912219/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384961749&sr=8-1&keywords=paul%20mccartney%20recording%20sessions&tag=shtv.es-21

FRANCE

http://www.amazon.fr/McCartney-Recording-1969-2013-McCartneys-Paperback/dp/8890912219/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386195261&sr=8-1&keywords=paul+mccartney+recording+sessions

GERMANY

http://www.amazon.de/McCartney-Recording-1969-2013-McCartneys-Paperback/dp/8890912219/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1384961673&sr=8-2&keywords=paul%20mccartney%20recording%20sessions&tag=shtv.de-21

Luca
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
Re: New book PAUL MCCARTNEY. RECORDING SESSIONS (1969-2013) is out!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 10:17:24 AM »

i missed the Album Run devil run, Kisses on the bottom and Choba C CCCP .
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 10:22:23 AM by Badgirl66 »

backseat

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 09:43:28 PM »

Review by Joshua Lapin Bertone https://www.facebook.com/WingsHallofFame/posts/667039926665686

"If someone wanted to learn how the Beatles recorded “Strawberry Fields Forever”, it wouldn’t take them long to find out. There are tons of books out there which detail every step of the song’s birth from John’s composition of it to the even...tual recording of it at EMI Studios. Beatle scholars have no difficulty finding out every tidbit about the recording sessions. Unfortunately, one wouldn’t have the same luck if they wanted to learn about how Wings “Little Lamb Dragonfly” was recorded. There are limited resources out there for those who wish to learn about recordings sessions the Fab Four did after they split up.
Luca Perasi saw the void and filled it. His book “Paul McCartney: Recording Sessions (1969-2013)” covers just what its title implies. The book begins with the secret 1969 recordings for the “McCartney” album and ends with entries on “New”. While the “Eight Arms To Hold You: The Solo Beatles Compendium” covers similar ground, that book is almost fifteen years old and new information is always coming to life. “Recording Sessions” even corrects some material which was incorrect in “Eight Arms”.
Each song gets its own entry. The entry details where and when the song was recorded, who played what instruments on it and other miscellaneous details. Luca interviewed many musicians, engineers and other industry professionals to get the story straight. In doing so he’s brought never before heard stories onto these pages. He even had Monique Seiwell (wife of Wings first drummer Denny Seiwell) consult her diary to get some recording dates and locations correctly. That’s what I call following up on leads! Tony Clark, an engineer whose name should be familiar to McCartney fans, also helped consult on the book and gives a great introduction.
This isn’t a complete look at Paul’s recording career. In order to make the book’s mission statement more obtainable, only McCartney penned compositions are covered. This means that non-McCartney written songs such as Wings “Medicine Jar” (written by Jimmy McCulloch) and various cover songs aren’t represented. While their absence is notable, the wealth of information on the rest of the catalogue is more than enough to make up for it. When you’re being served a five course meal, you don’t complain that there isn’t enough bread. I’ve seen some reviews bemoan the book’s lack of pictures, but I didn’t read the book for photos. I wanted a book that would tell me the story of Paul’s post Beatle recording career, and this more than delivered.
I consider myself a McCartney scholar, and I’ve read many books on his recording career. There were many times in this book that I found myself learning new pieces of information. There were some surprises and lots of interesting stories. I was very impressed with the amount of research Luca took in putting this together. This book is a must have for any Paul McCartney fans and belongs on the shelf right next to Madinger and Easter’s “Eight Arms To Hold You” and Lewisohn’s “Complete Beatles Recording Sessions”.

fanofthefab4

• A Beginning
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 12:26:32 PM »

Luca,

It's really great that you wrote this great extensive detailed book on what a true natural born *music genius* Paul McCartney was born as! He inherited his father Jim's and Jim's father's natural music talent but to a rare extreme degree!

backseat

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 08:36:54 PM »

Yes, he deserved a book about his compositions!!!
Here's another review, by Chaz Lipp, The Morton Report:

http://www.themortonreport.com/books/book-review-paul-mccartney-recording-sessions-1969-2013-by-luca-perasi/

"Essential reading for any serious Paul McCartney fan, Luca Perasi’s Paul McCartney: Recording Sessions (1969-2013) covers everything from the McCartney album (released in 1970) right through New (released in 2013). Perasi takes us from song to song, conveying tons of detailed information. The goal was to focus on factual information rather than critical analysis. While some of the author’s opinion-based commentary slips in, he makes a genuine effort to make this a reference guide above all else. Each song includes a listing of musicians involved, as well as where and when each tune was recorded.

It’s made clear in the introduction, the scope of the book is limited to songs written by McCartney that appeared on a release credited to Paul McCartney, Wings, or The Fireman (the latter being McCartney’s experimental collaboration with producer Martin Glover, aka Youth). Any song written by someone other than McCartney is not covered (though his many co-writes with various songwriters, including Denny Laine, Eric Stewart, and Elvis Costello, are included—with the exception of re-recorded Lennon/McCartney songs). As a result, much of the content of Give My Regards to Broadstreet (1984), Run Devil Run (1999), and Kisses on the Bottom (2012) is only given a brief mention.

Examining nearly 400 individual songs is ambitious enough, but what makes Recording Sessions of particular interest are quotes taken from some 70 original, exclusive interviews the author conducted with McCartney collaborators and session players. Some of these are ,prominent participants, such as engineer Tony Clark (who contributed a foreword in the form of a poem) and former Wings members Laurence Juber, Denny Seiwell, and Steve Holley. Others are far more obscure, such as Bill Wolfer, the keyboardist who plays on the Michael Jackson collaboration “Say, Say, Say,” or Stan Sulzmann, saxophonist on the U.K.-only single “Once Upon a Long Ago.”

In other words, Perasi dug deep to unearth new stories that even the hardest of hardcore McCartney fans have not likely heard. It’s a goldmine of anecdotes that all contribute to a further understanding and appreciation of McCartney’s solo career, especially the less-often discussed obscurities. Fascinating accounts emerge, such as how McCartney so admired Clare Fischer’s work with Prince that he hired Fischer to score the orchestration for the Flowers in the Dirt ballad “Distractions” (the late Fischer’s son, Brent, was interviewed by Persasi). This may sound like minutiae, and to casual fans many of the stories may be considered insignificant. But for those who crave every detail they can get their hands on, Perasi’s research yields plenty.

Perasi also draws from a wide variety of previously published interviews, always meticulously citing his sources (including, I’m proud to say, The Morton Report—my own interview with former Wings drummer Denny Seiwell is quoted a couple times). Whether culled from previously existing writings or from his personal research, Perasi organizes the information very clearly throughout the book. The basic layout takes us from year to year, with a numbered heading for each song (indexed in the back of the book for quick reference; there’s also a short bio for every person mentioned throughout). Where appropriate, Perasi also fills in the blanks by including general info about tours, live recordings, and side projects in order to provide some continuity to McCartney’s full recording career.

Perasi sought to present the McCartney songbook in strict order of recording date, with detailed credits listing who played which instrument on every song. Without having the kind of official, all-access pass that Mark Lewisohn had to the Beatles archive for The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions, some of these dates and credits remain a mystery. But Perasi did the best he could, compiling the most comprehensive annotations to date. It should also be noted that this English translation (from Perasi’s native Italian) is not without some oddities in syntax. But generally speaking, it is always clear what the author is trying to communicate. While the translation could’ve probably been smoother in places, it shouldn’t be seen as a deal-breaker for anyone interested.

Paul McCartney: Recording Sessions (1969-2013) is an important work for anyone with a deep interest in the solo career of Paul McCartney. It is currently available for purchase on Amazon U.K. Follow author Luca Perasi on Twitter."

nimrod

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 12:19:39 AM »

Congrats to you backseat , well done   ;yes

Not my cup of tea as Im not really a fan of solo Beatles, but I wish you all the best with sales.

I suspect millions will be very interested in this subject

backseat

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 08:53:26 PM »

The book is finally available in the US, on Amazon.com.

Steve Marinucci news link (scroll down the page):

http://www.examiner.com/article/beatles-news-cartoonist-s-f-pattie-boyd-on-tv-train-music-macca-tix

:)

Luca

backseat

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 05:53:01 PM »

A new reprint is available on Amazon.com. The LookInside feature is available:

http://www.amazon.com/Paul-McCartney-Recording-1969-2013-McCartneys/dp/8890912219/ref=pd_rhf_ee_p_img_1

I'm also offering a free pdf update to anyone who purchases (or already purchased) the book. The update will be released in 2015. Just send an e-mail to:

info@mccartney-recordings.com
E-mail subject: pdf update
Text: just write name, surname, country and purchase date

Luca

Bobber

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 07:40:49 AM »

Just bought this. Looks interesting enough.

backseat

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 02:34:23 PM »

Just bought this. Looks interesting enough.

Thanks! Enjoy this interview with Nancy Carr on Hey Dullblog website. Thanks Nancy for asking interesting questions.

http://www.heydullblog.com/paul-mccartney/interview-mccartney-recording-sessions-author-luca-perasi/

Bobber

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 07:22:53 PM »

It arrived yesterday. Looking good on the first blink.

backseat

• One And One Is Two

Bobber

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 09:48:47 PM »

I'm also offering a free pdf update to anyone who purchases (or already purchased) the book. The update will be released in 2015. Just send an e-mail to:

info@mccartney-recordings.com
E-mail subject: pdf update
Text: just write name, surname, country and purchase date

Luca

About when in 2015 will this be released?

backseat

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 12:54:56 PM »

About when in 2015 will this be released?

It should be around Spring.

In the attached photo, me and great bass player John Clayton together at the Blue Note in Milan, 22 November 2014. He contributed to the book with an interview and I gifted him a copy of the volume.

backseat

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 10:38:21 AM »

A very nice review by Nick DeRiso:

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2014/11/25/paul-mccartney-recording-sessions-luca-perasi/

Please note two things to integrate Nick's comprehensive review, who received the book back in July:
- Recent reprint of the book (end September) heavily improved, with corrections (suggestions courtesy of English writer Steve Lambley) and completely new layout.
- Volume II is in the works and planned for 2015.

:)
Luca

backseat

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 07:01:22 PM »

A hardbound edition is finally available.
It's a strictly limited edition (200 copies), with flaps and cream-color paper. It was premiered at the Beatles Day in Mons, Belgium, last October, where I met with extreme pleasure Mark Lewisohn, who had purchased the paperback one some time before, and he liked it. :)

Hardbound is available only in Europe, here::

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Paul-McCartney-Recording-1969-2013-McCartneys/dp/8890912219/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408986691&sr=8-1&keywords=paul+mccartney+recording+sessions+1969-2013

Paperback edition is always available, here the link for the US:

http://www.amazon.com/Paul-McCartney-Recording-1969-2013-McCartneys/dp/8890912219/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1407829587&sr=1-1&keywords=paul+mccartney+recording+sessions

Luca

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2015, 10:04:13 AM »

Hi Luca!!

I was bought this book for Christmas,I'm up to the 'Speed Of Sound' recordings.Absolutely excellent book,mate.I had no idea that the person who wrote it was on these forums.Congratulations on a fab book,and I am extremely jealous of all of the great musicians etc you have met and interviewed who have worked with Paul,who is my absolute idol.Brilliant!!Well done Luca. cheer1

cheers

Neil Lowe,Nottingham,England,UK
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

backseat

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2015, 04:03:06 PM »

Hi Luca!!

I was bought this book for Christmas,I'm up to the 'Speed Of Sound' recordings.Absolutely excellent book,mate.I had no idea that the person who wrote it was on these forums.Congratulations on a fab book,and I am extremely jealous of all of the great musicians etc you have met and interviewed who have worked with Paul,who is my absolute idol.Brilliant!!Well done Luca. cheer1

cheers

Neil Lowe,Nottingham,England,UK

Hi Neil and thanks so much, I'm delighted of what you write about the book. It was a long time dream...for years I've been searching a book about Paul recordings and...I di it myself. Being an avid historical reearcher...I collected tons of material and spent two years doing the interviews. Great fun, indeed! You'll be pleased to have a volume II later this year, with unreleased songs, classical stuff, live concerts and everything else in great detail. My publishing company, L.I.L.Y. Publishing is growing and so expect more and more quality in the products.

All the best,

Luca

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2015, 10:14:59 PM »

Hi Neil and thanks so much, I'm delighted of what you write about the book. It was a long time dream...for years I've been searching a book about Paul recordings and...I di it myself. Being an avid historical reearcher...I collected tons of material and spent two years doing the interviews. Great fun, indeed! You'll be pleased to have a volume II later this year, with unreleased songs, classical stuff, live concerts and everything else in great detail. My publishing company, L.I.L.Y. Publishing is growing and so expect more and more quality in the products.

All the best,

Luca
Nice one Luca,and I'll look forward to volume 2.I especially enjoyed reading about the 'Ram' sessions,I thought the information was really well researched,very interesting stuff about the 'Uncle Albert\Admiral Halsey' sessions.You have done a very good book and you should rightly be proud.Some nice little stories from some of the key players,well done.Let me know if you are coming to England anytime,would love to get my book signed and have a little chat in person!!!
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 1.305 seconds with 77 queries.