Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: What do the beatles need the most to be better?  (Read 14178 times)

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
Re: What do the beatles need the most to be better?
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2007, 09:19:12 PM »

Ringo's my kind of drummer. Straight forward Rock n Roll drumming! :)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

The walrus

• A Beginning
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2007, 09:58:17 AM »

Absolutly nothing. they were perfect as they were and they improved so much and kept on getting better all the time. and they made the right decision getting Ringo as their drummer, he fit in with the Beatles where as Pete Best didn't.  
&quot;We don’t like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out.&quot; <br />- Decca Recording Co. rejecting the Beatles, 1962

Beatlemaniac64

• Getting Better
  • "Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted" - John
    • Instagram
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2007, 07:05:23 PM »

In the Anthology movies, George says something that I liked. He says something like "Ringo always was a member of the band, it's just that he didn't enter the story until that specific scene." Where would they be without Ringo and George? I don't agree at all on them getting a new drummer or new lead guitarist, they're perfect! Everything tangerine said above is true, it all was meant to happen the way it did.
-Julia
Born 1991, fan since 2006

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2007, 12:37:33 PM »

Quote from: 679
If it an't broke don't fix it  :)

Precisely! You cannot really be better than having like 6 number ones in a row, really...

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2007, 02:39:05 PM »

i agree that if the got rid of george or ringo they wouldnt find someone the same, but i think when they became a studio band if they had gotten rid of george and ringo on all there recordings but kept them for publicity shots and brought them in to do there owned penned tracks only, it wouldnt have made a difference to the sound of any of the lennon/McCartney songs at all, everything that l+M especially paul was writing was practically finished to the point they knew how they wanted the guitar parts and drum parts to sound and they could have easily have played it themselves if they had wanted to.

And a few songs george was playing bass or tambourine  and paul would play the drums if he wasnt happy with ringos contribution, although i love them as a 4 you could have taken ringo and george out without too much of difference :S but take either john or paul out and it wouldnt have completly altered the way the music was

« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2007, 09:43:38 PM »

This question isn't even worth considering. I'm sorry to be so blunt. The Beatles were perfect for their time, place & generation. Their musicianship was impeccable, their lyrics were timeless and universal and their melodies were extraordinarily original. The ONLY thing I can say about them negatively is that they broke up far too soon. Eight years of recording was NOT ENOUGH  :'( (i meant the serious recording years from 1961-'69)

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • &quot;The dude abides.&quot;
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2007, 01:21:49 AM »

I hate to say it, because without his interest they might never have got a recording contract, but Brian Epstein was the real weak link in the Beatles.  He put them in suits, bought boxes of "Love me Do" so it would chart, but made horrendous business decisions that would come back to haunt the Beatles and quicken their demise.  A real manager would have been much more creative in dealing with the personalities and placating egos and keep them busy with solid projects.  "Help" was a joke after "Hard Day's Night."  

We don't even need to go into the merchandising mess.

Also, Brian was managing a half a dozen acts at the time of the height of the Beatles career.  What the hell was he thinking?

I think he exacerbated the splits in the band with his infatuation with John.  

A professional manager would have gotten them a better deal with EMI--which again would have settled some of the money problems that led to their split.  

Let's face it, a good manager brings at least some creativity, organizational ability and honesty to the table.  Brian seems to have been weak in all three.  Especially the last.  He screwed the guys through the whole NEMS enterprises holding company.  

And he let them give away their publishing to hack like D-ick James.  

Stupid, greedy, stupid.  

Pasta Cheif

• Getting Better
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2007, 02:25:26 AM »

Quote from: 829
The ONLY thing I can say about them negatively is that they broke up far too soon. Eight years of recording was NOT ENOUGH  :'( (i meant the serious recording years from 1961-'69)
That is my thoughts exactly.

&quot;Dont take life seriously, you'll never get out of it alive&quot;

The Fox Drummer

• A Beginning
  • I'm a drummer, not a wetnurse.
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2007, 05:52:24 PM »

Why would you want to change anything about them?  :-/

EDIT: In Eppy's defence, though...I know he wasn't the best manager as he'd never done it before, but the boys themselves wouldn't have had anyone else. When Brian mentioned that he was thinking of selling them to someone who knew how to handle them better, John announced that if he did so, they'd do nothing but record out-of-tune versions of 'God Save The Queen' for the rest of their lives. So don't be so quick to knock Eppy - the Beatles themselves didn't want it any other way.
<br />One thing I can tell you is you got to be free...

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2007, 10:58:59 PM »

Yeah, it's hard to hate Eppy.  I think the Rutles got him down pat with Leggy Mountbatten.  "He hated their music, he hated their hair, he hated their noise: but he loved their trousers."   And about Dick James: "Dick Jaws, an unemployed music publisher of no fixed ability, who signed them to a publishing contract for the rest of their lives."

The whole Beatles story really is an impossibility.  And I guess Eppy is the riddle wrapped inside an enigma wrapped inside the Melody Maker.  

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2007, 02:38:07 PM »

The Beatles need me. I will be their muse.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2007, 09:00:10 PM »

Since they already had plenty of fifth Beatles, they needed a sixth to keep them together.

Buttmunker

• Getting Better
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2007, 11:10:57 PM »

I think drugs screwed up John Lennon's sense of perspective - it made him, in a way, insane, the way he brought Yoko Ono into the studio like that, and needing her by his side even when he went to the toilet.  That's not the act of a sane individual.  John's drug problem really was the problem for the group.

As much as I would have liked to have seen them perform together as a group into the seventies, it was probably for the best that they quit when they did.  As the old saying goes, get out while the getting's good!  They left while they were still at the top of the game, and a lot of other groups don't have enough sense to do that.  Or the courage.  Of course, the Beatles didn't quit because of courage - they quit because John was leaving the group.  If John wasn't leaving, George might have been persuaded to stay on, since George Martin and Geoff Emerick (and everybody else) decided they'd been wrong about George after hearing his work on Abbey Road, and were going to give George a wider berth to work with, and more assistance and attention.  That would have satisfied George, and kept Paul McCartney at bay and behaved (he was notorious for rushing George's work so he could continue on with his own).

We are lucky to have had them for the 10 years they were around, for they really were perfect in what they put onto their albums.  WE STILL ENJOY THEIR MUSIC!  And not just one or two songs, but practically ALL of it.  That's some testament.  And that's something none of them could produced on their own.  Not to that extent.

Buttmunker

• Getting Better
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2007, 03:59:52 PM »

The Beatles could have benefitted by having someone like Brian Jones in the group.  Brian Jones had a talent for being able to pick up any instrument he's never learned or used before, and being able to play it before too long.  For some reason I never understood, the Beatles never really bothered learning how to play instruments that require you to blow into them (other than a harmonica).  

Brian Jones guested on the song You Know My Name (Look Up The Number) by playing the sax, and I think that one little sax solo was the best part of the song - and it meant something because it wasn't just some classical music performer doing it, it was a young rock'n'roller.  Brian's music is, to me, the best part of the Stones early stuff.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2007, 04:18:57 PM »

And you don't think that Paul McCartney played enough instruments? Doesn't he play the cornet as well.

Buttmunker

• Getting Better
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2007, 04:54:19 PM »

the Beatles never played the harp, or trumpets, or horns, or violins.  Or flute.  Things like that.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2007, 04:56:53 PM »

Quote from: 828
the Beatles never played the harp, or trumpets, or horns, or violins.  Or flute.  Things like that.

what about macca on recorder on Fool On The Hill?

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2007, 05:01:01 PM »

And Brian Jones didn't write an endless string of hits or generation-defining albums. Things like that. What was up with him - I don't understand??
The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. Personally I think The Beatles had the mix of songwriting/musicianship/personality just about right. Obviously really, since they were far more successful than Jones & Co.
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2007, 05:05:14 PM »

Well, how often did Brian Jones get to do that on Stones records? Anyway, it didn't stop The Beatles using session musicians if they needed that sort of thing. What difference would it have made if one of them could play the Lute, or the xylophone? Or the didgeridoo for that matter?

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2007, 01:46:05 AM »

Quote from: 483

Well, how often did Brian Jones get to do that on Stones records? Anyway, it didn't stop The Beatles using session musicians if they needed that sort of thing. What difference would it have made if one of them could play the Lute, or the xylophone? Or the didgeridoo for that matter?

It's not often that you get the opportunity to use didgeridoo in a sentence. Well done!  ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 89 queries.