Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anthology 1  (Read 5913 times)

stopwow673

• One And One Is Two
Anthology 1
« on: March 14, 2015, 10:12:58 PM »

I'm interested in the Anthology 1 CD for the "Free As a Bird" track. They sell cheaply online. I have an MP3 player, however Amazon claims the CD is copy protected. Has anyone here tried to rip the CD with success with a modern ripper? 1995 was a long time ago. Maybe rippers have improved. There doesn't seem to be a site to legally purchase the Free As a Bird MP3.  AmazonMP3 and Google Play don't have the Beatles catalogs. I don't have an iPod and iTunes. Why aren't the Beatles on Amazon and Google? Suggestions?

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
Re: Anthology 1
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 02:52:54 PM »

I have the same problem, stopwow673: no iPod or iTunes but an MP3 player. Hence I have to do all my Beatles listening on CD.

I can't help you, but perhaps someone else here can. Good luck!

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 03:10:45 PM »

Is this not available from the iTunes store? Surprising if not.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

stopwow673

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 08:27:57 PM »

I have the same problem, stopwow673: no iPod or iTunes but an MP3 player. Hence I have to do all my Beatles listening on CD.

I can't help you, but perhaps someone else here can. Good luck!

Normandie: There are rippers that convert CDs to MP3 format. I have the studio CDs that I converted to MP3. I'm just not sure if Anthology 1 is ripable. It's great as all the studio albums easily fit on the player.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 10:02:16 PM »

Normandie: There are rippers that convert CDs to MP3 format. I have the studio CDs that I converted to MP3. I'm just not sure if Anthology 1 is ripable. It's great as all the studio albums easily fit on the player.

You can convert iTunes downloads to mp3. It means you'd have to sign up for an account etc which not everyone wants to do.

As for CDs I've never had trouble converting them for use with MP3 players. Although admittedly I haven't bought a lot of CDs recently so perhaps protections have changed.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 12:10:43 AM »

Thanks for the info, stopwow and Moogmodule. I will definitely have to look into this.

KelMar

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 12:48:01 AM »

You guys who don't use iTunes probably have a lot lower blood pressure than me right now! I no longer use it as my default player and I am seriously considering finding some other alternative for putting music on my iPhone. I know it can be done; I just have to find the right utility and learn it. I can do a task with iTunes one day, go into it the next day and it won't work. And then there's the duplicating! Every so often I suddenly have three copies of everything in there. I'll bet my hard drive would have a lot more room on it if I could sort this all out. I haven't actually used it in quite a while but I've needed to this weekend and it's been rough! Whew...I feel better now. LOL

stopwow673

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 02:01:05 AM »

You guys who don't use iTunes probably have a lot lower blood pressure than me right now! I no longer use it as my default player and I am seriously considering finding some other alternative for putting music on my iPhone. I know it can be done; I just have to find the right utility and learn it. I can do a task with iTunes one day, go into it the next day and it won't work. And then there's the duplicating! Every so often I suddenly have three copies of everything in there. I'll bet my hard drive would have a lot more room on it if I could sort this all out. I haven't actually used it in quite a while but I've needed to this weekend and it's been rough! Whew...I feel better now. LOL

I have an Android based phone. I just copy and paste the MP3 files into it.

Bobber

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 09:59:17 AM »

The Beatles catalogue being released online has been a debate for years. As far as I know, The Beatles songs are still not available on online music services. That is, not on the legal services.

As for iTunes: I tried it for a week. After that, I was completely fed up with such a user unfriendly program.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 11:23:09 AM »

The Beatles catalogue being released online has been a debate for years. As far as I know, The Beatles songs are still not available on online music services. That is, not on the legal services.

As for iTunes: I tried it for a week. After that, I was completely fed up with such a user unfriendly program.

Each iTunes update seems to get less and less user friendly. The original versions were much simpler and intuitive. I rarely use it on computer now. Just on my iPhone and iPad.

KelMar

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 04:13:00 AM »

I am seriously considering finding some other alternative for putting music on my iPhone. I know it can be done; I just have to find the right utility and learn it.

Goodbye iTunes; hello CopyTrans Manager!

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 09:57:34 PM »

I'd love to know what the hell you're all talking about but I'll have to wait for my son's visit at Easter, then ask him to translate!!!  ha2ha

stopwow673

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 10:47:44 PM »

I just ordered Anthology 1 online for $4 with free shipping. I'm not sure if I'll like the CD, but $4 doesn't seem like a big risk. I wonder how much the CD cost new in 1995 when it was released. It was clever of them to put "Real Love" on a separate album for more sales.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 02:24:35 PM »

The Red and Blue CDs in 1993 were very expensive, in some shops £32 each if memory serves.
There was a huge amount of criticism (rightly) in the music press at the time.

I came across my vinyl Anthology yesterday, bought on the eve of its release, and that was £23.99.
My vinyl 'Anthology 2' was £22.99.
$4 seems terrific value, in line with the £2 I paid for 'Past Masters Vol. 1' last Wednesday.

Whisper it, and whatever you do don't tell any of those bearded hipsters in Hoxton, but now is the time to buy CDs NOT vinyl.
I won't tell them if you don't.

KelMar

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 03:32:20 AM »

I'd love to know what the hell you're all talking about but I'll have to wait for my son's visit at Easter, then ask him to translate!!!  ha2ha

LOL Using iTunes has been like trying to eat soup with chopsticks in the last few years so I found an alternative program. Apple doesn't want us putting anything on their devices that we didn't buy from their store.

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 04:37:32 AM »

...Amazon claims the CD is copy protected. Has anyone here tried to rip the CD with success with a modern ripper?...

I bought all three volumes as new releases back in the '90s and have successfully ripped each one onto my PC using Windows Media Player. Btw, $4 was a great deal.
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2015, 07:06:03 AM »

LOL Using iTunes has been like trying to eat soup with chopsticks in the last few years so I found an alternative program. Apple doesn't want us putting anything on their devices that we didn't buy from their store.

The one thing you can do (at least you could when I tried it around a year ago) is upload CDs. Which for a long time made up the bulk of my iTunes library.

I'm interested in the alternative you found though. I will check it out.

stopwow673

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2015, 03:57:40 AM »

I bought all three volumes as new releases back in the '90s and have successfully ripped each one onto my PC using Windows Media Player. Btw, $4 was a great deal.

How much did the 3 volumes cost new? I seem to remember that in the late 1980s and early 1990s that a single CD cost $15 to $18.

KelMar

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2015, 07:15:13 PM »

The one thing you can do (at least you could when I tried it around a year ago) is upload CDs. Which for a long time made up the bulk of my iTunes library.

I'm interested in the alternative you found though. I will check it out.

You can still put CDs on your device but they keep changing how its done. Every update seems to make it more difficult and I really think that's meant to influence our decisions when purchasing music, as in "Oh, I guess I'll just buy this from iTunes. It'll be easier." I've been really happy so far with CopyTrans. It's just a little utility but it does everything I need much faster than iTunes. If you decide to try it let me tell you a couple of things first that will make it easier.

stopwow673

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2015, 11:03:22 PM »

I was able to rip it to MP3 using one program, but another wouldn't recognize the CD.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.885 seconds with 78 queries.