Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SMILE!  (Read 5689 times)

Kiss My Bad Self

• A Beginning
SMILE!
« on: September 13, 2004, 09:27:29 AM »

In 1967 Brian Wilson was trying to wright an record an album called Smile whicn was due to be the Beach Boys follow up to pet sounds and a reply to Revolver. Brian was getting more an more strung out on drugs and his ambitions for the album were getting harder an harder to realise. When the Beatles released SGT Peppers Brian gave up on smile an had a breakdown. The so called production race between the Beach Boys an the Beatles had been won by the Beatles an Brian never fully recovered his old genius. But now on the 28th of september 38 years after the year it was meant to be released Smile is now going to be hitting the shops. THis year Brian Wilson went back to the old Smile tapes and put the finished them. Beach Boys songs like Good Vibrations, Heroes an Villians, Surfs Up, and Cabinessence are all meant to be on this album and these are some of the best Beach Boys songs i think. I am really excited about hearing this album as i reckon it will be one of the best albums for a long time. Also i think if it would have been relesed in 1967 the Beach Boys may have won the production race against the Beatles and Brian wouldnt have had a breakdown an would have gone on to better things maybe. Smile would have probably took SGT peppers place as the album of the sixties. I think Smle is a concept album about America's expansion westwards an carries the message that we should all live the life we lived before cities an modern technology. Its also split up into four sections. One section is called the elements section an has songs about water, an fire an that.
You think your chocolate but your chewing gum.

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
Re: SMILE!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 11:39:43 AM »

I always hoped Brian Wilson would return to the Smile tapes and finish the album the exact way he visualised it. This is EXCELLENT news!!!

Kiss My Bad Self

• A Beginning
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 12:18:34 PM »

I hope its exactly how he visualised it but i dont know if it will be. He's an old man now an very different to how he was in the sixties i think, an he dosnt take LSD now. I just hope it dosnt turn out really bad an that he's gone back to the tapes an just quickly patched them up to cash in on them.

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 12:22:48 PM »

Yeah, me too. But he has been touring Smile, so maybe he has a better idea of what it should be now than he had back then. Who knows!

Kiss My Bad Self

• A Beginning
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 01:17:48 PM »

yeah. no one can ever say if it sounds like how its meant to or not cos this is the only version of smile that will ever be relesed.

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2004, 11:50:35 AM »

Very true. Bits and pieces have been released officially and un-officially over the years, but this will be the definitive version I guess. I can't wait!!! :)

Wonderwall

• A Beginning
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2004, 02:24:45 AM »

From what I have read on his website is that the final cd will not comprise of the original Beach Boys sessions tapes, instead Brain opted to newly record the songs. That will be the released version. That to me its dissappointing as I wish it was a "Beach Boys" album.

Kiss My Bad Self

• A Beginning
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2004, 09:19:36 AM »

yeah i heard that. its recorded with some band called the wondermints i think and its a Brian Wilson solo album. but thats partly cos of the rift with Mike Love and all sorts of law suit stuff. i read some reviews of it and there all saying that its amazing.

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2004, 06:17:06 PM »

Yep, these are all re-makes by Brian wilson and the ten-piece band he toured with last year. No matter how good it is, it's still a HUGE disappointment that he didn't return to the original tapes. I wont be buying it - sorry Brian.

Anyway, here's the track listing:

1. Our Prayer / Gee
2. Heroes And Villains
3. Roll Plymouth Rock
4. Barnyard
5. Old Master Painter / You Are My Sunshine
6. Cabin Essence
7. Wonderful
8. Song For Children
9. Child Is Father Of The Man
10. Surf's Up
11. I'm In Great Shape / I Wanna Be Around / Workshop
12. Vega-Tables
13. On A Holiday
14. Wind Chimes
15. Mrs O'Leary's Cow
16. In Blue Hawaii
17. Good Vibrations

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2004, 08:33:12 PM »

Man that sucks that he remade all of the songs and didnt use the original takes. Now, the album just seems like a bunch of covers (yeah, I know its the original artist, but still). Oh well, i'll probably still buy the damn thing anyways.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2004, 01:42:31 AM »

he destroyed the originals.when he was recording the elemental section for fire and a series of brush fires were springing up in the area around which he lived.he thought he was causing it by recording his music.he stopped working on fire and began to work on water hoping the water would do the same thing.he expected it to put the fires out.
brian also took primal scream therapy.hoping to get back in touch with his old self.it  failed......

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2004, 06:14:02 PM »

There are still a hell of a lot of tapes from the Smile sessions - I'm sure something could be done with them. A lot of it has already been released officially and unofficially over the years. I think re-recording the tracks using synths and samples is a HUGE cop out. Also, Brian's voice isn't as strong as it used to be - he probably wouldn't have been the lead singer on most of those tracks anyway.

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2004, 06:14:37 PM »

yeah, I cant understand why such action has happened. Surely the original tapes have more wealth in marketing etc
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2004, 11:01:16 PM »

I totally agee :)

SieLiebtDich

• A Thousand Pages
  • ("\(#^_^)/")
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2004, 09:10:20 AM »

i heard this is goin to be a nice album, I'll give it a try

In Blue Hawaii

• Getting Better
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2005, 09:24:02 PM »

Quote from: Kiss_My_Bad_Self
..Also i think if it would have been relesed in 1967 the Beach Boys may have won the production race against the Beatles and Brian wouldnt have had a breakdown an would have gone on to better things maybe. Smile would have probably took SGT peppers place as the album of the sixties.

This is really intersting. Suppose that SMILE would have been released in it's full version in 1967. What would have happened?

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2005, 12:45:31 AM »

Quote from: MagicAlex

This is really intersting. Suppose that SMILE would have been released in it's full version in 1967. What would have happened?

That's very hard to say... After the Smile project was aborted The Beach Boys became "uncool" almost overnight... That definately would not have happened if Smile would've been released. Interesting question... I seriously can't imagine what would've happened. Maybe not much (cause remember, the mainstream public wasn't very impressed by Pet Sounds either), and maybe they would've become the greatest band in music history. Who knows?

Crazy Diamond

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2005, 02:47:32 PM »

Pet Sounds is much better, IMO.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2005, 05:15:04 PM »

Quote from: Zep_Fan
Pet Sounds is much better, IMO.

Yeah, I agree.

In Blue Hawaii

• Getting Better
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2005, 06:07:47 PM »

Quote from: Biscuit_Power

That's very hard to say... After the Smile project was aborted The Beach Boys became "uncool" almost overnight... That definately would not have happened if Smile would've been released. Interesting question... I seriously can't imagine what would've happened. Maybe not much (cause remember, the mainstream public wasn't very impressed by Pet Sounds either), and maybe they would've become the greatest band in music history. Who knows?

I think The Beatles would always have been domineering, because they and the rest of the British Invasion, were very much the catalyst musically and sociologically for, what was happening in the sixties. We don't know how "Smile" would have sounded in 67, but if Brian had gotten it together, it would probably have been one of the very enjoyable classics of that period. I do think it would have had a very important impact on the future of music, much as Pet Sounds has done. But the impact would have been a "long haul" impact, not the immediate onslaught that Pepper induced upon its release. In spite of the popularity of "Good Vibrations", the Beach Boys truly were not perceived by the record-buying public as being pied pipers of cultural transformation like the Beatles were at that time.

But SMiLE would have definitely established Brian Wilson as one of pop music's most visionary geniuses, and the Beach Boys would probably have been admitted into the ranks of "hipdom" as a result, I think.

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 78 queries.