Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Pure McCartney  (Read 5934 times)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Pure McCartney
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2016, 03:01:37 PM »

I don't think of the album as a complete wash either. 'Coming Up' is cute - perhaps too much so - and worked as a tip of the hat to disco.

Theres three renditions of 'Coming Up' though and the album version is the worst one so I cant even enjoy that.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2016, 03:59:28 PM »

Yea, it's not greatness, we can agree on that.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2016, 11:17:51 PM »

Yea, it's not greatness, we can agree on that.

For me Coming Up is a great song, but badly (home)made, if this song had been made by a black artist on Tamla Motown with great voices, rhythms and some brass it would be fantastic imo

Quotes..

Former band-mate John Lennon liked the song and credited it for driving him out of retirement to resume recording.

Somebody asked me what I thought of Paul's last album and I made some remark like I thought he was depressed and sad. But then I realized I hadn't listened to the whole damn thing. I heard one track - the hit, 'Coming Up,' which I thought was a good piece of work. Then I heard something else that sounded like he was depressed.

— John Lennon, All We Are Saying, 1980

I heard a story from a guy who recorded with John in New York, and he said that John would sometimes get lazy. But then he'd hear a song of mine where he thought, 'Oh, sh*t, Paul's putting it in, Paul's working!' Apparently 'Coming Up' was the one song that got John recording again. I think John just thought, 'Uh oh, I had better get working, too.' I thought that was a nice story.

— Paul McCartney
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2016, 12:58:37 AM »

I liked the live version of Coming Up. Not the pallid album version. Luckily when I bought McCartney 2 (I was still at the buy everything new from Paul John or George stage) the live version was included as a bonus single.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2016, 01:02:46 AM »

Makes sense to me. It is a catchy tune.

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2016, 09:19:23 PM »

My son bought me the DeLuxe 4 CD set as an early Fathers' Day gift. He knew if he didn't act quickly I would buy it for myself...

... still at the buy everything new from Paul John or George stage...

That's me Moog (and how dare you omit Ringo?)

When you suffer from completistitis as some of us do, you've just got to get the lot.

I suppose I should be embarrassed to admit I have two distinct vinyl editions as well as four "different" CD versions of "Band On The Run", but I'm not. After a while you get quite brazen about these things.

Anyway...back to this latest collection and inevitably there will be gripes from fans whose favourite somehow slipped through the net. By and large I'm pleased with it, but the absence of "Take It Away" and "My Brave Face" (two of the most glaring omissions for me) is bordering on unforgiveable - especially when trackspace has been allowed for anything off "Press To Play". Sure we've all been served up "Silly Love Songs" and "Mull Of Kintyre" a zillion times but come on, how could they not be there? Ditto, I suppose (he says through gritted teeth) the cloyingly horrible "My Love". But that's the fascination of these things: one man's "Frog Chorus" is another man's "Back Seat Of My Car".

For what it's worth I'm glad McCartney II is well represented. "Coming Up" and "Waterfalls" are just fine by me, and I can cope with "Temporary Secretary" maybe two or three times per decade. But how "One Of These Days" - the best track by a country mile from his 1980 album - failed to make the cut when there's room for "Bip Bop" I will never understand....

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2016, 11:01:38 PM »

I know. My lack of love for Ringo's solo stuff has always prevented me getting to Operating Thetan level Beatles fan.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2016, 11:14:58 PM »

I agree about 'My Brave Face' and 'Take It Away'.  Especially when 'Temporary Secretary made the cut.

Good hearing from you again Mr.M.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2016, 12:50:20 AM »

My son bought me the DeLuxe 4 CD set as an early Fathers' Day gift. He knew if he didn't act quickly I would buy it for myself...

When you suffer from completistitis as some of us do, you've just got to get the lot.

I suppose I should be embarrassed to admit I have two distinct vinyl editions as well as four "different" CD versions of "Band On The Run", but I'm not. After a while you get quite brazen about these things.

Anyway...back to this latest collection and inevitably there will be gripes from fans whose favourite somehow slipped through the net. By and large I'm pleased with it, but the absence of "Take It Away" and "My Brave Face" (two of the most glaring omissions for me) is bordering on unforgiveable - especially when trackspace has been allowed for anything off "Press To Play". Sure we've all been served up "Silly Love Songs" and "Mull Of Kintyre" a zillion times but come on, how could they not be there? Ditto, I suppose (he says through gritted teeth) the cloyingly horrible "My Love". But that's the fascination of these things: one man's "Frog Chorus" is another man's "Back Seat Of My Car".

For what it's worth I'm glad McCartney II is well represented. "Coming Up" and "Waterfalls" are just fine by me, and I can cope with "Temporary Secretary" maybe two or three times per decade. But how "One Of These Days" - the best track by a country mile from his 1980 album - failed to make the cut when there's room for "Bip Bop" I will never understand....

Aren't Silly Love Songs, Mulligan's Tyres and My Love on there? They're on the track listing above. Agree with Take it Away and One of these Days. And my views on Temporary Secretary I've expressed several times elsewhere. I'd take Cook of the House over that one.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2016, 07:46:59 AM »

They are on there.  I believe Mr.M. was just using those songs as examples.  All the old standard hits are on the set, but when it comes time for the minor hits like 'Take It away' and 'My Brave Face', they get scrapped for garbage like 'Temporary Secretary' and 'Bip Bop'.  If your going to go for a 4 CD Greatest Hits package, you should go all in with the superior stuff.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2016, 09:29:30 AM »

They are on there.  I believe Mr.M. was just using those songs as examples.  All the old standard hits are on the set, but when it comes time for the minor hits like 'Take It away' and 'My Brave Face', they get scrapped for garbage like 'Temporary Secretary' and 'Bip Bop'.  If your going to go for a 4 CD Greatest Hits package, you should go all in with the superior stuff.

Yep. Misread yet again. I blame advancing years and red wine.

KEROUAC

• A Beginning
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2016, 11:06:26 PM »

I've always thought that From a Lover to a Friend is a bit of a hidden gem that gets overlooked so it would have been a good addition in my opinion. Here's a reminder https://youtu.be/DviPfuE6N-w

Was My Brave Face an Elvis Costello collaboaration? What about:

The lovers that never were  https://youtu.be/NwPkQJu6nuQ 

« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 11:44:42 PM by KEROUAC »

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2016, 10:34:22 PM »

Was My Brave Face an Elvis Costello collaboaration?

I believe it was; so was Costello's "Veronica," if I recall correctly

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2016, 12:03:19 AM »

I've always thought that From a Lover to a Friend is a bit of a hidden gem that gets overlooked so it would have been a good addition in my opinion. Here's a reminder https://youtu.be/DviPfuE6N-w

The lovers that never were  https://youtu.be/NwPkQJu6nuQ

Love both of those songs.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.741 seconds with 65 queries.