Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: How many of you think Paul McCartney sucks now?  (Read 24377 times)

Wayne L.

How many of you think Paul McCartney sucks now?
« on: November 02, 2004, 12:58:05 PM »

I heard this at the beginning of a local talk radio show a few months back I was listening to where the guy said " Paul McCartney sucks.....now. " cynically speaking meaning he's not as cool as he used to be or as influential as an artist as he was back in the 60's & even in the 70's which I agree with wholeheartedly as a fan.  Paul is one of the greatest singers, songwriters, musicians & performers of all time with few equals during his Beatles days & as a solo artist but for over 20 years now especially he has had more ups & downs with more mediocre albums going through the motions as a former Beatle & music legend which is what this local radio talk host was getting at.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
Re: How many of you think Paul McCartney sucks now?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 01:12:28 PM »

Would be hard not to agree really.  It's strange. I mean there is nothing for him to prove but it is what he loves.
He is a performer and therefore must feel the need to perform. I personally have struggled to get into much of his solo stuff even though he is probably my most influential role model in music.

Just so much to shake off after being a Beatle. Although it was well documented that 'Your Gonna Carry That Weight' on Abbey Rd. is a prophecy of that. Maybe he thought he could have shaken it off by now, back then though. lol

I think his further experiments with The Frog chorus theme is a great idea for him at his time of life. I never really heard his Orchestral album yet. I intend too although it had a bit of a subdued reception here in England.

Saying that, seeing him last year In London at Earls Court was amazing. Fair play to him for not giving into playing all those Beatles songs a lot sooner! At least in doing his own music post-Beatle he helped keep them sacred. Many tough choices for a man in his position.

He is the man but will have to agree. Apologies to all devout solo Macca fans but the last 20 yrs do seem lamer in comparison.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 01:14:30 PM »

I don't think anyone could ever say Paul sucks now - he is still producing music which although doesn't always hit the mark, is still always listenable.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2004, 01:20:32 PM »

I agree, would never, ever say he sucks now. Plus this is my 200th post and needed to get it out. lol
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2004, 03:27:29 PM »

No, Paul rarely 'sucked'.  He may not have been working to his former potential but the man is a consummate pro musician.

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2004, 07:25:54 PM »

Firstly, I cant see past the slightly foolish word 'suck' which irratates me more than it should.
 It would be insanse to think Mccartney could ever rise above the 'revolution' that he and fellow colleagues set all those years ago.
Saying Mccartney isnt as cool, really does show the lack of understanding. How can the man not be as cool? it is the same man as the Beatles etc... maybe becasue he has a few more wrinkles..and dresses in more 'average' attire...but this does not transform mind-sets..skill...creativity..etc
I agree, his music is no where near as good, but to expect it would be, is plain silly.
His voice isnt as good..but thats natural...he is getting on you know :)

For me, Paul Mccartney got me into music, made me pick an instrument up, moulded my fashion in a way etc etc. I dont like using Idol*..but Mccartney is my main inspiration for getting me into Music.
I will always respect him as the Greatest Musician* a tag which could be easily backed up :)
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

Runforyourlife

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2004, 09:15:39 PM »

I think "suck" is sort of a harsh word to use. No offense to you Wayne.

Personally, I don't think it matters. Paul has created some beautiful, timeless classics. He plays the bass like a mother, puts on great concerts, and still enjoys what he does- if some radio DJ thinks he sucks so be it. With the acclaim comes the pitfalls, and that happens to everyone eventually I believe.

I think "suck" is a harsh word, as I said. I don't care for a lot of his solo work. I bought his last album devotedly, because I always get his new stuff. I dislike it immensely. At first I was like, "Oh its just a slow album...takes time to grow into..." Now I think everything just plods along on it, but still...that's me. I like a bunch of his solo songs, but none of his albums all the way through.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2004, 12:19:25 AM »

Raise your hand if you think this question sucks!

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2004, 02:22:41 AM »

Only Paul would get this kind of criticism. The dudes in his 60's for god's sake. He's still performing like he's twenty and touching people with his music. So he's not writing #1 songs anymore. So what. He had a pretty good run for 20 years. I like some of his new stuff. It's still very Paul.

Bruno

• A Thousand Pages
  • The choice is yours, don't be late
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2004, 02:39:15 AM »

[quote by=tkitna link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1099400285,s=7 date=1099441165]Raise your hand if you think this question sucks!

[/quote]

lmao, good one tk