Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Singles - Hey Jude.  (Read 10066 times)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Singles - Hey Jude.
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2010, 07:32:34 PM »

"Hey Jude" probably has the best Paul's lyrics ever. And "Revolution" is all a great rocker should be.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

cubanheel

• Getting Better
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2010, 10:20:17 PM »

Not sure I go along with best lyrics ever, I think it's all a bit full of cliche as Paul so often is. I think Eleanor Rigby or For No One for example are better lyrically. But stick it with a great melody, and flash those gorgeous eyes, and I'll call it genius!  What I do really like is Paul's phrasing; so often on cover verions, you hear awful phrasing, when it's all there in the original... no break between 'take a sad song and make it better'.  The lightness on 'remember', oh I could go on......
...once there was a way to get back homeward ...

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2010, 02:28:53 AM »

Not sure I go along with best lyrics ever, I think it's all a bit full of cliche as Paul so often is. I think Eleanor Rigby or For No One for example are better lyrically. But stick it with a great melody, and flash those gorgeous eyes, and I'll call it genius!  What I do really like is Paul's phrasing; so often on cover verions, you hear awful phrasing, when it's all there in the original... no break between 'take a sad song and make it better'.  The lightness on 'remember', oh I could go on......

"Eleanor Rigby" lyrics are impressive too, but they were not 100% Paul. But words like "take a sad song and make it better" or "for well you know that is a fool who plays it cool by making his world a little colder" are pure genius to me.

By the way, John thought that "Hey Jude" was Paul's best song.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 02:30:41 AM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2010, 06:54:08 PM »

blackbird_

• A Beginning
  • I'm feelin' low, so get me high.
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2010, 09:55:38 PM »

Favourite song. I just love it so much. The lyrics, if slightly clichéd are well-phrased and very uplifting.
It's the song I listen to when I'm upset, and is it ever a good song for that.

I'd love to turn you on.

The_Taxman

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2010, 10:40:49 PM »

First Beatles song I ever heard, and still my favorite.

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2011, 10:51:00 AM »

Has anyone ever heard the 3'25 edit of Hey Jude that appeared on the short-lived Pocket Disc format in the late 1960s?

I actually have the Hey Jude pocket disc but have never been able to play it. The disc is so small (4" across) that the arm on my record player doesn't go far enough into the centre of the turntable to play it!! So I have never heard the version of the song that was used.

I assume that they simply chopped a few minutes off the Nah-Nah-Nah ending so that the song would fit on the little disc. Can anyone verify this?

Bobber

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2011, 11:11:08 AM »

Found this: http://www.rarebeatles.com/photospg/flexiad.htm

It says nothing of the edit of the song itself tho. But it seems you have a valuable piece here!

Bobber

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2011, 11:40:07 AM »

It seems to be on the bootleg Every Little Thing volume 4. I believe I have that on the hdd at the office. I'll be there tomorrow.

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2011, 12:45:13 PM »

Thanks Bobber.
The "Nah-Nah-Nah"s of Hey Jude start at around 3'10, so I assume the song just fades out fairly quickly after they start.

I discovered that the same edit version is on the bootleg compilation All Together Now, sourced from Every Little Thing Vol 4.
I am trying to download a copy of the All Together Now album now, but the torrent is going very slowly  :(

Unfortunately, my copy of the Hey Jude Pocket Disc isn't in great condition - some of the writing has rubbed off and there is no sleeve - so I don't think it will be worth much. But it's cool to have (even if I can't play it!!)

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2011, 12:56:43 PM »

I found this at BootlegZone ...

"Capitol Records in the US released a special edited promotional copy of Hey Jude to radio stations. This one-sided 7 inch disc was edited to fade just after the start of the sing-a-long, bringing the running time down to 3:30. This special edited version also appeared on the short lived 4-inch 33 1/3 rpm “Pocket Disc.” Sourced from very noisy vinyl."
http://www.bootlegzone.com/version.php?vid=27881&section=1

I have a few US promo 7" records from the 60s, but I never heard of this one-sided US promo disc of Hey Jude.

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2011, 06:37:53 PM »

Here's the 3'25 version of Hey Jude, taken from the All Together Now compilation ....

Hey Jude (Pocket Disc 3.25 edit)

As expected, the Nah-Nah-Nahs just get going and then the song fades out.
This version of the edit is obviously transferred straight from a poor vinyl copy because the sound quality is terrible. But that's how it appears on the All Together Now compilation so that's what I used!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 07:37:34 PM by peterbell1 »

Bobber

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2011, 07:43:00 AM »

Here's the 3'25 version of Hey Jude, taken from the All Together Now compilation ....
As expected, the Nah-Nah-Nahs just get going and then the song fades out.
This version of the edit is obviously transferred straight from a poor vinyl copy because the sound quality is terrible. But that's how it appears on the All Together Now compilation so that's what I used!

Thanks. Saves me an upload. lol. While researching this version a bit, I found as well that the sound quality is terrible. On the other hand what can you expect from a disc like this?

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2011, 12:37:22 AM »

I don't agree with those who have said that the lyrics are cliched. I think that Hey Jude has some of the best lyrics Paul has ever written. They are vague, yes, but I think the beauty of the song lies in its universiality. Well, the "na na na"s are not so profound, but hey, they're catchy!
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2011, 02:48:49 AM »

I don't agree with those who have said that the lyrics are cliched. I think that Hey Jude has some of the best lyrics Paul has ever written.

I certainly agree, Mairi.  The lyrics are just as fresh today as they were over 42 years ago when I first heard Hey Jude.  And, yes, still vague but that's the beauty of this song which remains one of my favorites.
I can stay till it's time to go

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2011, 03:19:56 AM »

It's a totally selfless lyric.
The whole thing is aimed towards making another person feel better.
The words 'I' or 'me' aren't even in the song.
Just beautiful

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2011, 03:31:50 AM »

I disagree. I think its way to long live and I would wish that he would never play it again (unless you've never seen him before I guess).
^^ interesting
you kno - i think that's because live - it's paul carrying the whole thing
with george, john and ringo as the 'backing band' on the studio version - u can feel them all getting progressively 'into it' as it jams on. they get so in the groove. it's subtle but it builds intensity not just in the orchestral additions or paul's vocals. george's strumming gains determination in every go round and ringo has the conviction of someone jamming with his best friend

when paul does it live it more feels like the band is regurgitating the 3 chords while paul does a soul singer impression. it never gets off the ground.
Paul needs his homies ! (just my opinion)

Bobber

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2011, 01:02:10 PM »

I just listened to the version on Every Little Thing vol. 4. It isn't any better than this one.

real01

• Getting Better
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2011, 09:34:36 PM »

The lyrics are just as fresh today as they were over 42 years ago when I first heard Hey Jude. 
And, yes, still vague but that's the beauty of this song which remains one of my favorites.

It struck me in the head - 43 years old song...
43 old year song... and it didn't aged a single year nor a day  8)

Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.709 seconds with 81 queries.