Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Song Of The Week - I Want You (She's So Heavy)  (Read 12041 times)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Song Of The Week - I Want You (She's So Heavy)
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2013, 04:08:15 AM »

;D

I'm keeping an eye on you mister.

nimrod

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2013, 09:33:28 AM »

ha2ha

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2013, 01:20:05 PM »

It's a song to be appreciated by its musical values. From a songwriting point of view, it's very simplistic and repetitive, but you get something from it if you take care of its instrumental variations.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Brynjar

• Getting Better
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2013, 09:26:34 PM »

It's time to post this vid again...

The Beatles: Rock Band Commercial Spot

Has to be said, this commercial is sooo good.
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2013, 04:35:32 AM »

Has to be said, this commercial is sooo good.

Isn't it!?!    :D
I can stay till it's time to go

nimrod

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2013, 08:57:49 AM »

never seen that before :P

nimrod

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2013, 10:22:06 PM »

It's a song to be appreciated by its musical values. From a songwriting point of view, it's very simplistic and repetitive, but you get something from it if you take care of its instrumental variations.

Thats good Hombre, of course melodically its not up there with Hey Jude or Something and lyrically its incredibly simplistic from the man who wrote Strawberry Fields & Walrus. But its interesting in other ways as you say Hombre, there are lots of quirky things going on in what is essentially a 'Blues' well really its only half a blues as the intro, refrain & outro are not a blues, so really only the verses are blues but even they are altered from the standard blues format, also I absolutely like the outro with its wall of guitars,(god knows how many overdubs) and the tension that the thing builds up, thats the thing I like the most is the tension building. The guitar 'tone' I like very much as well, no tinny Fenders here ;)
King Crimson & Radiohead have both 'borrowed' from this sound.
Id have done it differently though instead of cutting it off Id have increased the volume and then slowly decreased it to a fade like A Day In The LIfe final chord

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2013, 11:16:44 PM »

never seen that before :P

That photo was taken by Linda McCartney, mate.  Previously unseen, Paul released it on his website a year and a half ago.

There are more photos from the Abbey Road cover photoshoot on this website:  http://www.feelnumb.com/2009/03/05/live-abbey-road-webcam-and-photos/

nimrod

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2013, 11:48:02 PM »

Thanks Baz :)

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2013, 02:21:27 AM »

This deserves to be in here;

The Beatles - I want you (she's so heavy) isolated bass & drums
One of my favorites, loud!
Do I hear an extended George solo in the background that was mixed out? I've never heard that before.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2013, 02:31:58 AM »

One of my favorites, loud!
Do I hear an extended George solo in the background that was mixed out? I've never heard that before.

Dave, that was done with an audio editor, probably Audacity.  If played too loud, you might hear some other instruments bleeding through.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2013, 01:41:15 PM »

Dave, that was done with an audio editor, probably Audacity.  If played too loud, you might hear some other instruments bleeding through.
I see. I was going to listen to the Cirque version and see if the added guitar work matched the bleed through to see if it might have been part of the original mix.
As I understand it, John and George went into one of the other studios and did quite a few overdubs to get the massive sound on the fade out.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2013, 12:40:03 AM »

Thats good Hombre, of course melodically its not up there with Hey Jude or Something and lyrically its incredibly simplistic from the man who wrote Strawberry Fields & Walrus.

Surely John thought how this song was going to be recorded even before writing its few words. Actually John was at a quite simplistic stage at this point, just think about his other two important contributions to Abbey Road: "Come Together" is clever word-play with great backing instrumental, but the sung melody is also repetitive with few variations; and the lyrics from "Because" are as simple as effective and beautiful. I believe John had a minimalistic mind at that point, that lasted at least until his under-produced Plastic Ono Band.

Id have done it differently though instead of cutting it off Id have increased the volume and then slowly decreased it to a fade like A Day In The LIfe final chord

I agree, never quite liked that abrupt ending. And the B-side ends with "Her Majesty" instead of the perfect "The End"... Thus, I think one of the few weak points of this fantastic album is how both sides are ended. But our Beatles were transgressors of the norms, weren't they?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 12:43:13 AM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2013, 12:47:15 AM »

I like the abrupt ending.  It made the listener take notice of the song when the LP first played.  As for me, I thought my stereo broke down! 

No matter what, that ending made people remember the song. 

See?  The song appears 43 years later as a thread in a Beatles Forum!

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2013, 12:59:03 AM »

I like the abrupt ending.  It made the listener take notice of the song when the LP first played.  As for me, I thought my stereo broke down! 

No matter what, that ending made people remember the song. 

See?  The song appears 43 years later as a thread in a Beatles Forum!

That's a good result from an effect I don't like (still don't hate it).

The first time I listened to Abbey Road was on cassette, and when the A-side ended I thought that the tape I bought was uncompleted!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 01:01:54 AM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »

nimrod

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2013, 02:13:00 AM »

This is a seemingly simple song but to play it well, and to give it the emotion in the vocal performance is not so simple

I think John tears his vocal chords when he sings - HEAVY...

Ripping apart your vocal chords was common with J & P, Ive seen tribute bands do Oh Darling without the raunchy screaming, I never clap, if you cant do it...then dont.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2013, 04:16:43 AM »

This is a seemingly simple song but to play it well, and to give it the emotion in the vocal performance is not so simple

I think John tears his vocal chords when he sings - HEAVY...

Ripping apart your vocal chords was common with J & P, Ive seen tribute bands do Oh Darling without the raunchy screaming, I never clap, if you cant do it...then dont.

I agree, I like how John sings it, but the simplicity of the song is not a defect, is just how the song is and works very well in my opinion.

nimrod

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2013, 07:27:47 AM »

At the beginning when the song starts it reminds me of switching on a heavy machine, suddenly it rumbling alond with that Dm guitar figure...engrossing.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2013, 12:20:38 PM »

Used to hate it for a long time, until I once sat down and truly listened to it. It's a mesmerizing song, full of emotion and as intense as anything on Plastic Ono Band. The way I see it, it's a song that captures the very essence of having an obsession, for better or for worse (and John should know as he was in the midst of two ones at the time - Yoko and heroin).
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2013, 12:50:57 PM »

At the beginning when the song starts it reminds me of switching on a heavy machine, suddenly it rumbling alond with that Dm guitar figure...engrossing.
Maybe part two is when he gets his fix!
Mark Twain
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.649 seconds with 81 queries.