Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Your Most LOVED McCartney Album ?  (Read 3903 times)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Your Most LOVED McCartney Album ?
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2008, 05:27:00 PM »

Quote from: 1699
Ram is my favourite but i voted Mcartney II as it gets no love from anyone. I like the fact that at that point in his career he had kind of gotten over trying to please everyone(somthing that John and George had done far earlier in their careers) and just made a record  for himself. The material is still quite fresh for me as ive only really listened to it for about 6 months. Imay hate it like evryone else in 6 months time who knows. :D

See, I think just the opposite. I think Paul (as he so often does) was trying to stay hip and up with the times with 'McCartney 2'. The 80's were in full swing and I feel he thought to himself that he'd better conform with the times. Trying to please the public when he had no business dabbling in that crap. It obviously showed.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

mr vandebilt

• A Beginning
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2008, 03:23:00 PM »

Sorry to be a pedant but Mcartney II was recorded in july 1979 how where the 80s in full swing :P

To be fair i wasnt alive then so i have no idea if he was jumping on to a bandwagon, however for most of his career Mcartney has been a musical magpie going from one genre to the next os if you were to criticize Mcartney II you would have to also criticize an awful lot of his other material.

However the reasons i adore this album is that i) like its predecessor Mcartney he's at a crossroads, he's finished with his second major band and maybe he's not too sure of what direction he will take ii)the fact that the music is pretty much him exploring what he is able to do alone in the studio and he's recording what is enjoyable to him knowing full well that its not going to be a commercial or a critical hit  iii) also the music still stands up to this day and dosent feel dated(to my ears at least)

Becasue of Lennons death i think Paul changed his musical direction and tried to be more serious as he witnessed the outpouring of grief over Johns death it meant that he was the only living member of the worlds favourite songwriting duo. From 1981 every song and album produced by Paul is going to be compared to the legacy of the Beatles and every time he writes a duff song Lennon becomes a better songwriter and Pauls influence on the Beatles sucsess lessens

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2008, 05:57:47 PM »

Sorry to be a pedant but Mcartney II was recorded in july 1979 how where the 80s in full swing :P

Touche. I should have said that the techno/disco style of music was in full swing. It was however, released in 1980 if we're being technical with each other.

however for most of his career Mcartney has been a musical magpie going from one genre to the next os if you were to criticize Mcartney II you would have to also criticize an awful lot of his other material.

And this is when he fails the most. Why conform? Be yourself and do what you do best. Thats why 'Chaos and Creation' was so great in my opinion. Its an album of adult/contemporary music (except for 'Fine Line' and its forgettable anyways) and thats what Paul does best. He wasnt trying to recapture his youth and put out chart topping tunes.

However the reasons i adore this album is that i) like its predecessor Mcartney he's at a crossroads, he's finished with his second major band and maybe he's not too sure of what direction he will take ii)the fact that the music is pretty much him exploring what he is able to do alone in the studio and he's recording what is enjoyable to him knowing full well that its not going to be a commercial or a critical hit  

I dont know if he was at a crossroads or not. Wings were still active and touring when he made this mess and he didnt decide to put Wings on hiatus until after his arrest in Japan. He basically was just goofing off in the studio except for 'Coming Up' which he created to be a single (Wings were playing this tune on tour before the album ever came out). With the response to 'Coming Up' and the chart success of the single (which he released before the album), I have no doubt he was looking for more commercial success with the record.

also the music still stands up to this day and dosent feel dated(to my ears at least)

Cripes, that music sounded dated a week after its release.

Becasue of Lennons death i think Paul changed his musical direction and tried to be more serious as he witnessed the outpouring of grief over Johns death it meant that he was the only living member of the worlds favourite songwriting duo. From 1981 every song and album produced by Paul is going to be compared to the legacy of the Beatles and every time he writes a duff song Lennon becomes a better songwriter and Pauls influence on the Beatles sucsess lessens

Thats not true. 'Tug Of War' might have shared some of this burden, but not his others. 'TOW' was a good album and Paul did have something to prove (enlisting George Martin, Ringo, etc,,), but it still had some filler. Do you actually think Paul was releasing 'Dress Me Up As A Robber' , 'Get It', and 'Whats That Your Doing' while thinking how they were going to be compared to the Beatles or Johns solo songs? Even Pauls not that blind. We wont even go onto 'Pipes Of Peace' and 'Press'. Paul was more concerned with what the critics had to say than his comparison to the Beatles and Lennon in my opinion.

maccafan

• A Beginning
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2008, 06:55:01 PM »

I disagree, I don't think McCartney has ever concerned himself with what the critics or anyone else thinks!

McCartney does what comes natural to him, or in some cases just what he wants to do.

Fans are the ones who come up with all these theories, and many times they are absolutely ridiculous!  

jjs

• A Beginning
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2008, 10:27:58 PM »

Quote from: 1580
I disagree, I don't think McCartney has ever concerned himself with what the critics or anyone else thinks!

McCartney does what comes natural to him, or in some cases just what he wants to do.

Fans are the ones who come up with all these theories, and many times they are absolutely ridiculous!  

Swoooon, swoooon, gusssssshhhh, swoooonnn.

No he doesn't care what anyone thinks.

He's just been trying to revise Beatles fan's perceptions of him for the last 30 years for nothing.

Swoooon, gusssshhhh swooooon.

Swooning and gushing is a pathetic way for a man to behave, isn't it?

jjs

• A Beginning
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2008, 02:51:56 AM »

Quote from: 373

See, I think just the opposite. I think Paul (as he so often does) was trying to stay hip and up with the times with 'McCartney 2'. The 80's were in full swing and I feel he thought to himself that he'd better conform with the times. Trying to please the public when he had no business dabbling in that crap. It obviously showed.

What?

How can you possibly consider McCartney II to be remotely 'hip' or commercial, or to be 'conforming with the times'?  Where in fantasyland is this true? The album was recorded in 1979. Let's see.

Here is a list of the twenty best selling singles of 1979:

# "My Sharona" - The Knack (Highest position: #1)
# "Le Freak" - Chic (#1)
# "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?" - Rod Stewart (#1)
# "Bad Girls" - Donna Summer (#1)
# "YMCA" - Village People (#2)
# "Reunited" - Peaches & Herb (#1)
# "Ring My Bell" - Anita Ward (#1)
# "I Will Survive" - Gloria Gaynor (#1)
# "Too Much Heaven" - Bee Gees (#1)
# "Hot Stuff" - Donna Summer (#1)
# "Sad Eyes" - Robert John (#1)
# "What A Fool Believes" - The Doobie Brothers (#1)
# "Heart Of Glass" - Blondie (#1)
# "Fire" - Pointer Sisters (#2)
# "Good Times" - Chic (#1)
# "Tragedy" - Bee Gees (#1)
# "A Little More Love" - Olivia Newton-John (#3)
# "Knock On Wood" - Amii Stewart (#1)
# "Babe" - Styx (#1)
# "Shake Your Body" - The Jacksons (#1)

Now please tell me, in this list of mostly upbeat Disco and New Wave songs, that pretty much represents the popular trends of the time, where exactly does 'On The Way' or 'Bogey Music' fit? What exactly makes them 'hip'?  

Answer: The album was as non-commercial and out-of-touch as it possibly could be.  Even the record company saw that, and insisted the live version of 'Coming Up' be released as a single, and included as a bonus with the the LP. You think he was "Trying to please the public" with this crap? What public? I think you've put no thought into it at all, and you're just regurgitating catch phrases.

jjs

• A Beginning
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2008, 03:07:46 AM »

To be fair i wasn't alive then so i have no idea if he was jumping on to a bandwagon, however for most of his career Mcartney has been a musical magpie going from one genre to the next so if you were to criticize Mcartney II you would have to also criticize an awful lot of his other material.

He was jumping on no bandwagon. He was doing what he wanted to do.

As far as jumping from genre to genre, this wasn't something new for Paul that started with his solo career. This was Paul's tendency, from day one, and it was one of the things he brought to the Beatles. It's generally but not always a bit more tempered with the Beatles because there was two other songwriters, and a producer, but the genre jumping or borrowing was the norm for them. It's mostly (but not always) on Paul's songs.  John and George seemed to prefer to stay within the limits of guitar rock as a general rule, even  though there are exceptions to that here and there.

jjs

• A Beginning
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2008, 03:12:01 AM »

Thats not true. 'Tug Of War' might have shared some of this burden, but not his others. 'TOW' was a good album and Paul did have something to prove (enlisting George Martin, Ringo, etc,,), but it still had some filler. Do you actually think Paul was releasing 'Dress Me Up As A Robber' , 'Get It', and 'Whats That Your Doing' while thinking how they were going to be compared to the Beatles or Johns solo songs? Even Pauls not that blind. We wont even go onto 'Pipes Of Peace' and 'Press'. Paul was more concerned with what the critics had to say than his comparison to the Beatles and Lennon in my opinion.

Some notes:

George Martin was on board, sessions for this album had begun, and Wings was disbanded all before John was shot.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2008, 04:32:38 AM »

Quote from: 1428

What?

How can you possibly consider McCartney II to be remotely 'hip' or commercial, or to be 'conforming with the times'?  Where in fantasyland is this true? The album was recorded in 1979. Let's see.

Here is a list of the twenty best selling singles of 1979:

# "My Sharona" - The Knack (Highest position: #1)
# "Le Freak" - Chic (#1)
# "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?" - Rod Stewart (#1)
# "YMCA" - Village People (#2)
# "Reunited" - Peaches & Herb (#1)
# "Ring My Bell" - Anita Ward (#1)
# "I Will Survive" - Gloria Gaynor (#1)
# "Too Much Heaven" - Bee Gees (#1)
# "Hot Stuff" - Donna Summer (#1)
# "Sad Eyes" - Robert John (#1)
# "What A Fool Believes" - The Doobie Brothers (#1)
# "Heart Of Glass" - Blondie (#1)
# "Fire" - Pointer Sisters (#2)
# "Good Times" - Chic (#1)
# "Tragedy" - Bee Gees (#1)
# "A Little More Love" - Olivia Newton-John (#3)
# "Knock On Wood" - Amii Stewart (#1)
# "Babe" - Styx (#1)
# "Shake Your Body" - The Jacksons (#1)

Now please tell me, in this list of mostly upbeat Disco and New Wave songs, that pretty much represents the popular trends of the time, where exactly does 'On The Way' or 'Bogey Music' fit? What exactly makes them 'hip'?

# "Le Freak" - Chic (#1)
# "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?" - Rod Stewart (#1) (pretty much when Rod jumped the shark)

Jesus, I dont have the time or effort to cut and paste most of that list. Are you fu*king blind and deaf? That entire list is almost the exact thing I was talking about. You named two songs as a comparison off of an entire album as your comparison? Brilliant.

Answer: The album was as non-commercial and out-of-touch as it possibly could be.  Even the record company saw that, and insisted the live version of 'Coming Up' be released as a single, and included as a bonus with the the LP. You think he was "Trying to please the public" with this crap? What public? I think you've put no thought into it at all, and you're just regurgitating catch phrases.

He wasnt even going to release the damn thing until he saw the success of 'Coming Up'. You also speak of 'Out of touch' as if the music didnt conform to the music that was being released at the time. Your full of bullsh*t. This album was chalk full of up-to-date music and it failed as miserably as your opinion of it did.

WTF? Do you think Paul was a pioneer with this style of music when the album came out? Please, put the crack pipe down and get off your high horse. It sucked,,,,get over it.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2008, 04:38:56 AM »

Quote from: 1428

Some notes:

George Martin was on board, sessions for this album had begun, and Wings was disbanded all before John was shot.

I'm sorry, but what are you talking about here? Did you not just state what I had already said in my prior quote? Did you have some type of point you were trying to make with this comment? Were you excited because I didnt mention that George Martin was already working with Paul on other things before the album was made? Fill me in on what your trying to say here.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2008, 11:48:10 AM »

McCartney II was a successful album for Paul in the Uk , it was his first # 1 album since Venus & Mars , it did manage to topple "The Magic Of Boney M " from the  # 1 slot  , which was good going as Boney M were massive in Europe at the time.
Lifting 2 top 10 singles from the album was also a rare feat for Paul , both Coming Up and Waterfalls were hit singles in the UK .
So commercially McCartney II was a success in the UK, and for all it's short comings it did manage # 3 on Billboard which is not bad  for a collection of plinky plonky demos (wink2)

jjs

• A Beginning
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2008, 05:08:43 PM »

# "Le Freak" - Chic (#1)
# "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?" - Rod Stewart (#1) (pretty much when Rod jumped the shark)

Jesus, I dont have the time or effort to cut and paste most of that list. Are you fu*king blind and deaf? That entire list is almost the exact thing I was talking about. You named two songs as a comparison off of an entire album as your comparison? Brilliant.

He wasnt even going to release the damn thing until he saw the success of 'Coming Up'. You also speak of 'Out of touch' as if the music didnt conform to the music that was being released at the time. Your full of bullsh*t. This album was chalk full of up-to-date music and it failed as miserably as your opinion of it did.

WTF? Do you think Paul was a pioneer with this style of music when the album came out? Please, put the crack pipe down and get off your high horse. It sucked,,,,get over it.

I know where I'd like to shove my crack pipe, but i suspect that you don't already have something up there, blocking the way.

On what planet was this album 'chock full' of up to date music? It's chock full of out-of-touch crap. It alienated most of his American fans. Why don't you list all of the songs on that album then tell me what contemporary song they are most like?  Wait, you can't can you? At the time, it was the beginning of the end of disco, and the beginning of new wave, and this album is sounds like neither. You just make up your stupid opinion that it's contemporary to sound like you know something.

And, where did you get the BS that he didn't want to release it? More made up BS. Instead, he wanted to release it as a double album, but the record company said no.

Maybe you should extract your head so you can see things and listen more clearly?

Cheers.

jjs

• A Beginning
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2008, 05:11:03 PM »

I'm sorry, but what are you talking about here? Did you not just state what I had already said in my prior quote? Did you have some type of point you were trying to make with this comment? Were you excited because I didnt mention that George Martin was already working with Paul on other things before the album was made? Fill me in on what your trying to say here.

Never mind. 'Your' an idiot.  ;D

Venus

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2008, 11:39:31 AM »

Band On The Run

I simply melt when I hear the opening bars and intro  (inlove2)
.<br />+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.269 seconds with 66 queries.