Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 1964 Strawberry Fields?!!!  (Read 9828 times)

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
1964 Strawberry Fields?!!!
« on: February 20, 2006, 09:35:16 PM »

This is a particularly interesting scene filmed in their hotel room on their first visit to the US in 1964. John is seen sitting in their hotel room playing a 'Melodica' - a small flute with a tiny keyboard attached. The amazing thing is the tune he's playing... it sounds remarkably like John is working out the opening chords of Strawberry Fields!! Have a listen and tell me what you think! I swear I'm not hearing things!

http://www.geocities.com/the_end_gb/dmforum/sff1964.html
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
Re: 1964 Strawberry Fields?!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 01:37:16 AM »

That does sound like the first several notes of Strawberry Fields.  I remember reading about this a while ago, but now I finally got to hear it.  Nice find!

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 02:10:42 AM »

Here maybe? http://dmbeatles.com/cgi-bin/Blah/Blah.pl?b-films/m-1077380342/

I only just got round to working out how to rip from a DVD!!! It's nearly the anniversary of that post too!!!! ;D

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 03:08:32 AM »

I think with the way he was playing around with that thing, he was bound to hit a few notes from Strawberry Fields. But I see what you mean. I haven't watched that DVD in a while. I need to put it on again. The extra footage is the best though. Wish there was more of that. John being amused at hearing his own voice is great. But I digress...

Bobber

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 07:54:08 AM »

Alan's got a point here.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 11:32:50 AM »

a point??? like oblio?????a great posting al-vin........i always love new vids and audios on your site...but i think its time you veiw my podcast.....

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 12:46:57 PM »

Quote from: pc31
i think its time you veiw my podcast.....

Oooh, yes - sorry PC! I must admit I have watched your podcasts already - sorry I didn't comment yet, I will remedy that straight away!

Regarding the Strawberry Fields 1964 - I think that is pretty much a world exclusive as I have not heard that mentioned on any other site!! You read it here first!! ;)

If you listen to the early keyboard demos John did at home, the chords are remarkably similar - personally I don't think it's an accident!

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 03:54:59 PM »

What a find!
Interesting stuff - thanks for the effort of hosting the clip.
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 05:04:24 PM »

Quote from: IndicaWalrus
What a find!
Interesting stuff - thanks for the effort of hosting the clip.

Yeah, the lengths I go to prove a point!!! That took me over 15 hours to sort out!!!!! First I had to work out how to extract data from a protected DVD using a Mac then I had to edit the clip using Quicktime... blah blah!

Anyway, it was worth it to prove I wasn't hearing things!!! ;D

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 08:43:31 PM »

... and I had heard Paul saying he composed -not played- the intro to it on a mellotron  ::) (and I'm not talking about In My Life)  

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 11:16:33 PM »

He may well have worked out the Mellotron 'flute' intro but this is John just playing a chord sequence VERY similar to the early takes from 1966.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2006, 05:03:01 PM »

Not trying to discuss or anything but I don't think another new thread about this song is needed and this one is a good one so:

Palatial desert home that inspired a Lennon classic

ANDY Allen meets the man who traced John Lennon's Spanish hideaway.

AT FIRST glance it is hard to think of anywhere possessing less in common with Liverpool than the Spanish city of Almeria.

Surrounded on one side by a harshly beautiful desert that provided the location for Sergio Leone's Spaghetti Westerns and Lawrence of Arabia, Almeria is Spain's hottest city, a place where even the palm trees provide little escape from temperatures that often rise above 40C.

Go back 40 years and the difference was even more pronounced. Then Almeria was an isolated, backward and poverty-stricken part of General Franco's Spain, while Liverpool was enjoying a high profile on the world stage thanks to the emergence of the Beatles.

Yet, intriguingly, it was here that one of the Fab Four, John Lennon, found his mind turning back towards his childhood and his home city. It was also in here where he wrote a song that was to become one of the Beatles most famous and significant hits and one of the only ones that directly referred to a place in Liverpool - Strawberry Fields Forever.

The singer had come to the area for six weeks for the filming of Richard Lester's "How I Won the War", a black comedy in which he played the role of Private Gripweed.

Yet life as an actor didn't suit Lennon. He quickly became bored during the long shoots in the desert and was lonely without the companionship of his wife Cynthia or any of the other Beatles. These frustrations were evident in the one interview he did at the time.

"Well, we're somewhere in Spain, it's a dump really... it's like the moon," said the singer.. Little would be known about Lennon's time in Almeria beyond this, were it not for the efforts of Adolfo Iglesias, a fan and a journalist on La Voz de Almeria.

"I was surprised that the city was ignoring what seemed to me to be an important part of its cultural heritage," says Iglesias ...

In particular Iglesias was puzzled by one of Lennon's references to Strawberry Fields Forever when the singer said: "It was written in this big Spanish house, part of it, and then finished on the beach. It was really romantic."

Lennon had initially stayed in a tatty beachfront apartment upon arriving in the city - which was clearly not the place he was talking about. Equally confusing were references by Lennon's driver, Neil Aspinall, to the Lennons' stay in a lush mansion in "Santa Isabel, near Almeria". No such village or district existed around Almeria. So where did Lennon write the song then? It took a stroke of intuition to solve the mystery.

The only property in Almeria that matched was Cortijo Romero, now abandoned and well inside Almeria's city limits but in those days a huge luxurious home outside the city. But why refer to "Santa Isabel"? One day Iglesias was passing and, on a hunch peeled back the vegetation that had completely overgrown the wrought iron gates, to reveal precisely that name. When he managed to track down the then owner of the property she confirmed that Lennon - as well as several movie directors - had stayed there.

Yet the owner wasn't impressed with Lennon and his entourage, regarding them as unkempt hippies, even though Lennon's hair had been cut for his film role.

Many other locals had similar reactions. Old women would cross themselves as Lennon's black Rolls Royce (complete with hi-fi and fridge) roared down the dusty streets, thinking it was a hearse.

One taxi driver, visiting the film set, was equally unimpressed. Given the opportunity to have his picture taken with Lennon he preferred to be photo-graphed with a clown who was on the set at the time and to this day treasures the picture. A couple of young boys remember pinching a pair of the singer's famed granny glasses, from his car. Lennon had several pairs as he was required to wear them for the role (in fact, after this, they became his trademark).

Meanwhile the Lennons had begun to fall in love with their huge new lodgings with its huge stretch of lush greenery - an oasis in the desert landscape around Almeria.

"It'll take days just to explore this place," John was quoted as saying as they moved in. Ringo was even more enthusiastic: "You expect all kinds of heroes with swords to come swinging round the corner on a chandalier! What a great place for parties."

"I was convinced beyond all doubt the villa housed many beautiful spirits."

Writing of a candle-lit party held during a power cut he recalls "an incredibly magical experience" in the villa as the Lennons and actors and crew from the film "sang to the ghosts" they believed haunted the mansion.

As they settled in, something about the house began to stimulate Lennon creatively. The song that took shape was initially vague, relying on the varying acoustic properties of different rooms, as revealed in the later "Santa Isabel demos", which reveal the evolution of the song. Yet it is undoubtably Strawberry Fields Forever.

These days the house stands empty and abandoned. It is not even as picturesque as it was five years ago when Iglesias found it. The local council chopped down the surrounding vegetation and was about to destroy the house but now there are plans to turn it into a cultural centre.

So just what was it that prompted Lennon to write the song that could be said to mark the changeover for the Beatles from pop band to serious musicians?

Iglesias has an intriguing theory. He notes that the original wrought iron gates of Santa Isabel (now in council storage) bear an uncanny resemblance to the gates of the orphanage of Strawberry Field (Lennon added the "S") in Liverpool where Lennon used to play as a boy. At the same time the huge expanse of lush vegetation could resemble the orphanage's vast grounds, which the young Lennon loved to explore.

It is impossible to know with any certainty but despite the inummerable differences between Liverpool and Almeria, something in the Spanish city, it seems, made a huge impact on John Lennon.

In the meantime Iglesias is appealing for anybody who might have any more information about Lennon's stay in Almeria to contact him on aiglesias@lavozdealmeria.com

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0800beatles/0050news/tm_objectid=14795133%26method=full%26siteid=50061%26headline=palatial%2ddesert%2dhome%2dthat%2dinspired%2da%2dlennon%2dclassic-name_page.html

---------------------------------------------------------------

Michael Crawford and John Lennon starred together in the movie "How I Won The War" in the 1960's. Michael tells a story about how they, and their wives shared a home in Spain during the shoot. In the evening they would sit around the house and John would play guitar. One evening John was strumming away singing... "Strawberry Fields...No, that's not right" and Michael said, "Oh John, It's Wonderful" and John would continue changing notes and singing as he composed. Michael is amazed that he was blessed to be there as John Lennon created the song 'Strawberry Fields Forever'! Here is a Wonderful and very rare photo of John and Michael in How I Won The War

http://www.snowcrest.net/ladybear/poto.html

--------------------------------------------------

Michael actually lived with John around the time, while John was writing Strawberry Fields Forever, but didn

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2006, 05:10:15 PM »

wow you have finally composed a master peice but noone even john can be sure of the first time the melody came to him...it may have been fragments pieced together from years of living..a bit here a bit there....any whats...excellent post roberto....my hat is off to you....can you see my bald spot???

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2006, 05:50:45 PM »

Quote from: pc31
noone even john can be sure of the first time the melody came to him...it may have been fragments pieced together from years of living..a bit here a bit there.

Absolutely! We all know John composed the song in Spain but the melody may have been with him for some time. John was always loathe to throw away a good melody - just look at Child of Nature and Jealous Guy for example.

Great article by the way Raxo :)

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2006, 07:08:37 PM »

Quote from: The_End
Great article by the way Raxo :)

I've said nothing ... but thanks!    :)
We can deduce that that footage and the (improvements in) Santa Isabel/Kenwood demos are both the facts ... 'till now  8)
How much time it took this one to be finnished (more than Yesterday)!  :o

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2006, 08:15:12 PM »

Bobber

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2006, 01:56:25 PM »

Sorry Alan, I don't want to ruin your day concerning your discovery, but I bumped into this on bootlegzone. There's a couple of bootlegs claiming to find a piece of Strawberry Fields Forever on the 1964 First US Visit.... We can debate about it being SFF or not, but the discovery was done before. Consider yourself Columbus: the Vikings had been there before but everybody forgot about it.

Strawberry Fields Forever (Lennon/McCartney)
 00:38
 (unidentified)
7-8 Feb 1964

The Beatles
THIS IS *NOT* STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER!!!

It is an Excerpt from "The Beatles In America" film, of John playing on a toy keyboard device that you blow into (literally, a 'mouth organ'). It was shot in NYC Feb 7 or 8, 1964 by the Maysles brothers. This has nothing whatsoever to do with Strawberry Fields.

Liner notes:
A previously unheard brief piece of John musically experimenting on his new Mellotron, performing the first sounds of the classic Strawberry Fields Forever. But this is very basic sounds.
This was most probably recorded at Abbey Road Studios on Thursday November 24, 1966, the first day of sessions for the newly-planned Beatles album. George can be heard shouting: "Eight o'clock channel two and three, do you want to borrow this?"
Later on, Ringo finishes offwith: "Ready fellows, we're late."  

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2006, 12:48:00 AM »

Quote from: Bobber
Sorry Alan, I don't want to ruin your day concerning your discovery, but I bumped into this on bootlegzone. There's a couple of bootlegs claiming to find a piece of Strawberry Fields Forever on the 1964 First US Visit.... We can debate about it being SFF or not, but the discovery was done before. Consider yourself Columbus: the Vikings had been there before but everybody forgot about it.

Ha ha! ;D

So... when was that posted then? I originally posted my discovery on the OLD forum and re-posted on February 22nd, 2004 at 11:58 pm. If these bootlegs date from before that I POSSIBLY concede defeat! :)

http://dmbeatles.com/cgi-bin/Blah/Blah.pl?b-films/m-1077380342/s-0/

On this thread I stated that; "Most of this is from the old forum, but some points are still being raised here so I thought I'd re-write some of it and post it here."

Bobber

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2006, 09:12:30 AM »

Alright, you're the viking after all. ;D

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2006, 03:16:25 PM »

Quote from: Bobber
Alright, you're the viking after all. ;D

Woohoo!!! ;D
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.669 seconds with 76 queries.