Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What 3 Beatles childhood homes are protected historical landmarks?  (Read 973 times)

BeatlesAtTheirBest

• A Beginning

Between mid 1959 and mid 1962 the Beatles spent a great deal of time at the Best family home. They helped paint the basement of the house which became The Casbah Coffee Club. They became the clubs' official house band. When they weren't playing, they frequently hung out to socialize or watch the other bands who played there - including Petes band The Black Jacks. They spent a year at the Best house before they asked Pete to join the group. On August 29, 1959 they opened the place as The Quarrymen. Three years later, on June 24, 1962 they closed the place as The Beatles.

What do others have to say? 

"I'd looked upon them as friends. I'd helped them so much, got them bookings, lending them money. I fed them when they were hungry. I was far more interested in them than their own parents."

Mona Best

"I think it’s a good idea to let people know about The Casbah. They know about The Cavern, they know about some of those things, but The Casbah was the place where all that started. We helped paint it and stuff. We looked upon it as our personal club."

Paul McCartney

John was probably closet to the Bests. He continued to stay in touch with Mrs Best through Neil Aspinall, who had fathered a child with Mrs Best and went on to become President of Apple ( The Beatles Apple, not the computer company). Lennon borrowed Mrs Bests' fathers war medals for the Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band photo shoot and occasionally sent small gifts to her. They also continued to store their equipment at the Best house for a while even after Pete was sacked.

So significant is role of the Best family home to the history of The Beatles and the entire Liverpool music scene that it is marked by a “blue plaque” and protected by the English Heritage as a historically significant sight. It joins the childhood homes of John Lennon & Paul McCartney in achieving that honor.

“The basement Casbah Club rooms are historically significant because they represent tangible evidence of The Beatles’ formation, their growth in popularity and their enduring cultural influence throughout the world. The club survives in a remarkably well-preserved condition since its closure in 1962, with wall and ceiling paintings of spiders, dragons, rainbows and stars by original band members along with 1960’s musical equipment, amplifiers and original chairs. We know of no other survival like it in Liverpool or indeed anywhere else.

Bob Hawkins
Head of Heritage Protection North of England

The childhood homes of Stu Sutcliffe, George Harrison and Ringo Starr are not protected. Allan Williams Jacaranda Club is not protected either. So if anyone if asks you to name the 3 members of The Beatles who have their childhood homes protected as historically significant landmarks, the answer isn’t Lennon, McCartney & Harrison. The correct answer is Lennon, McCartney & Best.

GIMME SOME TRUTH!!!

The Beatles (1960-1970) - John, Stu, Paul, George, Pete & Ringo

www.TheUltimateTrip.net

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 36 queries.