Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: George - Another snub, of sorts.  (Read 4096 times)

TomMo

• A Beginning
  • You Can't Do That
George - Another snub, of sorts.
« on: June 11, 2012, 07:05:20 PM »

I was going to post this on the Films Forum, but it seems more appropriate here.

Many of George's complaints about his role as a Beatle, in general, have been well-documented. But has anyone heard if George ever griped about his diminished role in "Help!"?

For example, did they cut George's entry into the limo before John and Paul entered? John and Paul both get accosted by Clang and Ahme before they got in the limo, but we see George already inside.

George was not disguised as Ringo, as were John and Paul, though film notes say they filmed his "Ringo" lookalike scene in a treehouse.

The original movie trailer (at least in the U.S.) shows a scene where the Fabs are in miniature racing cars and George is prominent in the stills from that scene.

Not that George didn't have some good moments in the movie, i.e., saving Ringo from the back of the "hired car", "not a bit like Cagney" from the Scotland Yard scene. But a lot of George's bits were sight gags (eating the cymbal, shoplifting at the jeweler's, etc.) George handled his big scene from AHDN well ("She's a drag, a well-known drag").

On top of that, Paul takes over lead guitar on two songs from the soundtrack!

Was there something going on during this time period that might explain all this?

In "Let It Be", where Paul and John are discussing George, Paul quotes George as being adamant about no more films. "No 'Hard Day's Night, no "Help", etc. Why?

The only rumor I've ever heard was that George was so stoned during much of the filming, that he couldn't always handle the lines. True, so were the others enjoying their fair share of the herbal jazz cigarettes, but perhaps George didn't function nearly as well as they did. Richard Lester, the director, seems to be very tight-lipped about the details.

Anybody else know anything?
"Beware of soft shoe shufflers"

OlinKovachs

Re: George - Another snub, of sorts.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 07:03:21 AM »

I was going to post this on the Films Forum, but it seems more appropriate here.

Many of George's complaints about his role as a Beatle, in general, have been well-documented. But has anyone heard if George ever griped about his diminished role in "Help!"?

For example, did they cut George's entry into the limo before John and Paul entered? John and Paul both get accosted by Clang and Ahme before they got in the limo, but we see George already inside.

George was not disguised as Ringo, as were John and Paul, though film notes say they filmed his "Ringo" lookalike scene in a treehouse.

The original movie trailer (at least in the U.S.) shows a scene where the Fabs are in miniature racing cars and George is prominent in the stills from that scene.

Not that George didn't have some good moments in the movie, i.e., saving Ringo from the back of the "hired car", "not a bit like Cagney" from the Scotland Yard scene. But a lot of George's bits were sight gags (eating the cymbal, shoplifting at the jeweler's, etc.) George handled his big scene from AHDN well ("She's a drag, a well-known drag").

On top of that, Paul takes over lead guitar on two songs from the soundtrack!

Was there something going on during this time period that might explain all this?

In "Let It Be", where Paul and John are discussing George, Paul quotes George as being adamant about no more films. "No 'Hard Day's Night, no "Help", etc. Why?

The only rumor I've ever heard was that George was so stoned during much of the filming, that he couldn't always handle the lines. True, so were the others enjoying their fair share of the herbal jazz
ecigs, but perhaps George didn't function nearly as well as they did. Richard Lester, the director, seems to be very tight-lipped about the details.

Anybody else know anything?

Well in my opinion Geaorge role was very nice.. I am not aware much but you have increased my knowledge..
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 04:02:48 PM by OlinKovachs »

KelMar

Re: George - Another snub, of sorts.
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 10:21:35 PM »

Welcome to the forum OlinKovachs!

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 40 queries.