Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: I like George's singing but....  (Read 68916 times)

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
Re: I like George's singing but....
« Reply #100 on: March 12, 2011, 02:37:28 AM »

btw - tkitna's summary of george's songs was direct, smacked of unbiased honesty and . . was thoroughly entertaining to read ! lol
i felt the same as many things you wrote and didn't even realize it until i read your analysis

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2011, 02:56:22 AM »

Me too, all except for Blue Jay Way.  I like that one.
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #102 on: March 12, 2011, 03:42:12 AM »

aw mannn !
thanks for the music knowledge h.g. - but i'm disappointed because i thought it was a george original
-
-
-
furthermore, when i heard an 80's george talk about it's gonna take alot of money to do it right... i was like....
DAMN ! george is pulling out all the stops ! he's dipping deep into that beatles cash to court a girl !

He made out all right with that song, nyfan, with its three music videos.  I've always liked that song.

Here he is doing it live...

George Harrison - Got My Mind Set On You LIVE as Harry& the Hijack Band

...Hari and The Hijack Band   London, 1992

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #103 on: March 12, 2011, 03:47:59 AM »

I miss him.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #104 on: March 12, 2011, 04:02:19 AM »

You posted this a month ago in another thread, nyfan.  It should be posted here too...

Taxman -- George Harrison and Eric Clapton (live)

Great video...Go George!

Go Eric!!!

Bobber

« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2011, 08:27:00 AM »

In discordia hic forum fundat.  Etiam musica intelligentia est subiectum.  Quod acceptio subiectum est.

;D

Don't my words sound wonderful in Latin? ;D

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2011, 08:48:51 PM »

About who couldn't or could do what...

Imagine George's Something sung in a style of refrain of Oh!Darling!
That would sound... How???

Could Ringo sing Twist 'n' Shout? No. But he could marvelously hit the drums!
Second, could Beatles be without Ringo as a drummer? Paul plays drums on
Back in the U.S.S.R., Dear Prudence, The Ballad of John and Yoko, so is his (Paul's) drumming
bad on that songs - or is it worse than Ringo's drumming? It isn't - Paul could certainly
play the drums! So why didn't they stay as a trio (without a drummer), or even a duo
(Paul & John)? Probably 'cause it wouldn't function like a trio or duet. Was it George
(or Paul) who said on Anthology: When Ringo came, everything melted together perfectly...
John & Paul wrote WALHFMF for Ringo to suite his vocal capabilities - and that's why
song sound so good!

John & Paul weren't two bad guys who didn't give others any space.
When Ringo was asked by reporters for band's plans, he often replied: Don't know. Ask the other
members!
- and George once said, after the Beatles: I really like to BE IN THE BAND - I don't do
any dance steps while I perform like some others do, I just stand and play the guitar...
- and concluded,
ironically: I really didn't have career after the Beatles...
So that statement about being a part of the bend (and not the lead singer) and I just stand and play guitar
says everything about George.

Every George's song on an Beatle album is a little treasure. Within Without You doesn't fit in rock album
called Sgt. Pepper, it's too exotic - but it's great song! It should have been a single!
I won't say - oh, they should put more George's stuff on records - if you want to listen just to his songs,
you can make your own compilation, from Don't Bother Me to I Me Mine...
Album Yellow Submarine has two of his great masterpieces:
Only A Northern Song and It's All Too Much.

And, of course, it's impossible for George to have John's or Paul's voice...

And now, tell me that you didn't notice George's screaming on It's All Too Much.
You'll say: What screaming? He's singing it in a rather mellow voice. Yes, true.
But he also screams. Through his guitar. That is, George could scream!
His guitar could gently weep and scream loudly, if neceseary!

Conclusion:
If you want to hear George singing like Paul or John, you are asking
him to do dance steps. And he doesn't do that, he just stands and plays
the guitar...

excellent post, that makes pefect sense. georges voice and compositions perfectly complemented the songwriting juggernaut that was Lennon and McCartney. george was a very accomplished and innovative guitarist and musician, obviously his singing was above par, or else he wouldn't have sang most of the beatles rockers when they played live.
day tripper yeah

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #107 on: March 13, 2011, 12:18:58 AM »

Don't my words sound wonderful in Latin? ;D

Te simulas Marcus Antonius!   ;)

nimrod

« Reply #108 on: March 13, 2011, 12:38:57 AM »

excellent post, that makes pefect sense. georges voice and compositions perfectly complemented the songwriting juggernaut that was Lennon and McCartney. george was a very accomplished and innovative guitarist and musician, obviously his singing was above par, or else he wouldn't have sang most of the beatles rockers when they played live.

did he ??

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #109 on: March 13, 2011, 08:17:10 AM »

did he ??

no.he did not.after they hit big he sang maybe one song per gig?
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

real01

• Getting Better
« Reply #110 on: March 13, 2011, 06:40:37 PM »

No, its pretty much universally known (Within You - Without You) as the worst song on the album. All of Georges indian music sucked and he had clunkers too. Piggies,,,good lord.

Great, the first Beatles single that would have bombed.

Masterpieces? Cripes, nobody but true Beatle fans have even heard those songs before.

Screams through his guitar? Come on now. Your too invested. George was a decent player, but he isnt bringing that kind of emotion through his playing to the table.

The "problem" with George's "Indian" songs is that they don't fit our European or Western ears.
John's Norwegian Woods can pass cause it has a little bit of George's sitar in it which is nice to hear -
but it is hard to accept a whole song played on Indian instruments like Within You - Without You
(tamboura, tabla, swordmandel) or Love You Too (tabla). Now, WY - WY certainly isn't a rocker.
But, - if you accept the song as a meditation...:

Try to realize it's all within yourself
No one else can make you change
And to see you're really only very small
And life flows on within you and without you

...then the music style in which is written works, right?

Stephen Stills was so impressed by the lyrics that he had them carved on a stone monument in his yard.
John Lennon pronounced it one of George's best.

Also, notice that on the album Love George Martin made a great mashup of WY - WY
and Tomorrow Never Knows (John's song from his The Tibetan Book of Dead period).
The result is - George's song sounds very... rockery (since it's "driven" by drums
from Tomorrow Never Knows.)

As for the worse song on Sgt. Pepper there are some other candidates.
For instance, song about doing the garden & digging the weeds.

Piggies,,,good lord.

Well, Piggies has nice tune (harpsichord) and fun lyrics. Beneath that, there is
a strong social commentary, with a great twist in last verse (pigs eating bacon!):

Everywhere there's lots of piggies
Living piggy lives
You can see them out for dinner
With their piggy wives
Clutching forks and knives
to eat their bacon

And they deliberately put the Piggies between Blackbird & Rocky Raccoon
(songs about animals). Let's call that - conceptual.8)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 07:38:34 PM by real01 »

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
« Reply #111 on: March 13, 2011, 10:19:05 PM »

i didn't know that about piggies. i've definitely enjoyed that song when i first discovered all four sides of the white album
the snorting sets the perfect stage for rocky racoon because it sounds like hogs on a farm
i like the harpsicord ... the middle part of the song has great chords ... and george's voice gets demonicly hilarious on the words 'damn good whacking' and 'eat the bacon' - - he turns into something out of clockwork oragnge.
also, i like the song because it's short and there's alot to listen to on the white album

-
-

The "problem" with George's "Indian" songs is that they don't fit our European or Western ears.
John's Norwegian Woods can pass cause it has a little bit of George's sitar in it which is nice to hear -
but it is hard to accept a whole song played on Indian instruments like Within You - Without You
(tamboura, tabla, swordmandel) or Love You Too (tabla).

as far as this part of your post - i don't agree with you.
because if you say when people dont like wyawy - it's because they aren't used to a whole song of indian instruments.....
are you saying then that george's indian songs can be judged against other indian music ?
because there is alot of good indian music and truthfully, george's is kind of run of the mill in comparison (in my one opinion)
when you talk about the real top artists of indian classical music (ragas)
i think it's more that george had natural musicality and a curiosity(open mindedness/desire to learn) that let him blend indian music instruments and styles into a pop format.
it's the blend that sounds good more than the actual playing -
such as u said -> tomorrow never knows sounds great with sitar drone behind it - regardless !
he was 'that guy' at 'that time'..... he was into indian music and he turned us all on to it . . .
(although western people have liked indian music long before the beatles [read:GEORGE] turned the exposure up to turbodrive! lol)
 :D

Ustad Ail Akbar Khan

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #112 on: March 13, 2011, 11:32:54 PM »

(tamboura, tabla, swordmandel) or Love You Too (tabla). Now, WY - WY certainly isn't a rocker.
But, - if you accept the song as a meditation...:

Try to realize it's all within yourself
No one else can make you change
And to see you're really only very small
And life flows on within you and without you

...then the music style in which is written works, right?

Stephen Stills was so impressed by the lyrics that he had them carved on a stone monument in his yard.
John Lennon pronounced it one of George's best.

Also, notice that on the album Love George Martin made a great mashup of WY - WY
and Tomorrow Never Knows (John's song from his The Tibetan Book of Dead period).
The result is - George's song sounds very... rockery (since it's "driven" by drums
from Tomorrow Never Knows.)

As for the worse song on Sgt. Pepper there are some other candidates.
For instance, song about doing the garden & digging the weeds.

Well, Piggies has nice tune (harpsichord) and fun lyrics. Beneath that, there is
a strong social commentary, with a great twist in last verse (pigs eating bacon!):

Everywhere there's lots of piggies
Living piggy lives
You can see them out for dinner
With their piggy wives
Clutching forks and knives
to eat their bacon

well i dont have a problem with georges songs, his compositions, his singing or his guitar work, never have never will.  :o
...but more to the point... i guess most people miss the social commentary that underlies piggies, and other george harrison songs, and the entire white album in particular.

yeah the tomorrow never knows/within you without you song on the Love album is just plain delicious.

and you're completely right, Indain music is not a good fit for western ears.
i would imagine most can't fathom the underlying complexity of just a simple raga.
day tripper yeah

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #113 on: March 13, 2011, 11:40:44 PM »

did he ??
besides the obvious examples that i have already given, there is this :

source :  http://beatles.ncf.ca/cavern.html

Chains (George)
Glad All Over (George)
Hey Good Lookin' (George)
I'm Henry The Eighth (George)
Nothin' Shakin' (George)
Roll Over Beethoven (George)
Sheik Of Araby (George)
Sheila (George)
Three Cool Cats (George)
What A Crazy World (George)
Young Blood (George)
day tripper yeah

nimrod

« Reply #114 on: March 14, 2011, 01:07:43 AM »

The basic message of this thread was that although I like George as a singer and dont have a problem listening to him sing things like here comes the sun, there is absolutely NO WAY he could blast out Oh Darling or I Got A Feeling or Twist & Shout, I expect if he'd even tried it he would have broken down coughing and spluttering, I have played in many bands over the years and seen many singers in Georges league, they are always ok with gentler songs that dont have a great range.

I dont see why some fans have a problem with admiting that the above is the case  4ac

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
« Reply #115 on: March 14, 2011, 01:38:03 AM »

i guess most people miss the social commentary that underlies piggies, and other george harrison songs, and the entire white album in particular.

do you really believe 'most people' who hear the song piggies don't pick up on a double meaning?..... that they never saw a movie where police were referred to as 'the pigs' . . or heard of the book animal farm . . . . . . .  . or understand that real pigs don't wear starched white shirts?

-
-

and you're completely right, Indain music is not a good fit for western ears.
i would imagine most can't fathom the underlying complexity of just a simple raga.
-
are you saying that someone has to understand the mathematics behind the music to appreciate or enjoy it?
because i doubt the average indian person who listens to classical ragas at a wedding or something 'fathoms the underlying complexity'
hell, ragas are boring like our classical.
they're traditional lol
at the time george was doing raga rock - the real hit music in india was pop songs of the time from indian movie musicals
only problem - the words were in hindi. not 'underlying complexity'
-
anyway, my point:
when jazz or big band was huge most of the fans couldn't dissect or analyze the rhythms or notes -> that's for the musicians to do.
the masses just liked it
-
for real.......... people in india hate ragas  ha2ha

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: March 14, 2011, 03:40:50 AM »

anyway, my point:
when jazz or big band was huge most of the fans couldn't dissect or analyze the rhythms or notes -> that's for the musicians to do.
the masses just liked it

The Benny Goodman Story - One O'Clock Jump

;)

nimrod

« Reply #117 on: March 14, 2011, 05:10:57 AM »

music is surely there to bring enjoyment into peoples lives, they dont have to know how to dissect anything, they either like it or not, I wouldnt pretend to understand what chick corea can do on the piano but i can still enjoy it.

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #118 on: March 14, 2011, 08:24:22 AM »

i may be wrong here but i think george was singing about politicians when he sang 'piggies'.the little piggies were us,the general public;the bigger piggies in their starched white shirts were the politicians 'stirring up the dirt'...arguing with each other,in their sties with all their backing (i.e money?)they don't care what goes on around (not bothered about the likes of me and you;they are loaded,why should they care?)the last verse was probably meant to be ironic (clutching forks and knives to eat the bacon)but make of the song what you will.i am sure i read somewhere it was about m.p's,and for years that's how i've thought about it.people generally don't like the song 'piggies',but it's not really a throw away ditty.....when viewed like this it has quite a good point behind it.clever.
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #119 on: March 14, 2011, 09:40:52 PM »

I have played in many bands
nimrod please, it still doesn't mean anything especially that you are in possession of any realworld knowledge concerning the human singing voice, singing and rock singers. that's called a classic strawman argument, in case you were unawares. as i have stated before the human singing voice is quite a complicated mechanism... how good anyone can or cannot sing is just a question of taste, personal biases and preference.
... over the years and seen many singers in Georges league, they are always ok with gentler songs that dont have a great range.
wrong again nimrod.  define georges league, this is getting waay off-track and  quite silly here. ??? the reason being your ruminations are biased and are just your interpretations... even so i have yet to see you back anything up with fact or anything beyond unreasonable conjecture.

According to Walter Everett's The Beatles As Musicians.

singing ranges for the beatles prior to 1964

Lennon: C2 > G5

McCartney: Aflat2 > A5

Harrison: B2 > D5

methinks that you are of the belief that george had a mediocre or average singing voice.. but that goes next to nowhere trying to explain why he sang so many of the beatles rockers, included live performances and on record.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 10:08:26 PM by 7 of 13 »
day tripper yeah
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Page created in 1.258 seconds with 79 queries.