Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: The Monkees  (Read 22064 times)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Re: The Monkees
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2006, 04:43:09 PM »

Quote from: Mairi
Oh, that movie is brilliant!

"Ya, thank goodness for model trains. 'Cause if it weren't for model trains, they would've never gotten the idea for the big ones."

Fantastic. It was a stupoendous movie. and thanks for the clip Bobber. Brought back memories (don't think I've seen it in colour before)
don't follow leaders

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2006, 01:26:45 AM »

Quote from: Bobber
By the way, the video of Daydream Believer is here

Interesting clip - thanks Bobber! The drum track appears to have been re-mixed or re-recorded.

Bobber

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2006, 11:35:22 AM »

I've uploaded another Monkees video: Last Train To Clarksville

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2006, 03:40:10 PM »

Some great maraca work by Davey there!!! ;D

Bobber

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2006, 05:47:30 PM »

Quote from: The_End
Some great maraca work by Davey there!!! ;D

Like I said on the podcast: looking at their performance they don't know how to play at all. The guy behind the drums (Michael?) doesn't have a clue what he's supposed to do.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2006, 11:44:14 PM »

I've uploaded another Monkees video: Last Train To Clarksville

Nice clip, bobber!  I know the Monkees didn't play their own instruments, but it does seem to be them riding a carousel, then scooters and even the Monkees-mobile.  

So there weren't completely without talent.  

Actually, I think Mickey Dolenz does a great vocal.

It is weird, though, how Peter Tork seems to be playing the lead guitar part on his bass.  And Mike seems to be playing the semblance of chord changes on a pretty nice Gretsch guitar.  

Mike also seems to be adept at wearing his toboggan/hat.  I wonder if it had to be stapled to his head?   :o

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2006, 12:57:15 AM »

Like I said on the podcast: looking at their performance they don't know how to play at all. The guy behind the drums (Michael?) doesn't have a clue what he's supposed to do.
are you sure its mike????i didn't watch it yet?

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2006, 01:23:26 AM »

C'mon dudes, that's Mickey Dolenz behind those drums in the video!  Michael Nesmith on Gretsch guitar and hat.   Peter Tork on bass.  And Davey Jones on maraccas.  

Louie Shelton (who played lead on Boz Scaggs' "Low Down," Seals and Crofts' "Summer Breeze" and "Diamond Girl" and the Jackson Five's "ABC") played lead on "Last Train to Clarksville."   He spent some time in Nashville, but has moved to Australia.

For other session info see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monkees_(album)

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2006, 01:58:06 AM »

oh i didn't watch...i know mike play guitar....i thought bobber meant standing behind the drummer....

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2006, 03:06:53 AM »

PC, wouldn't you like a Gretsch like Mike's got--apparently putting to waste?  Wonder how much that baby's worth today?

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2006, 10:42:31 AM »

mike waste a guitar????no he still records..http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/5145/mike.html
look here http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0626452/bio
he even produced for the nitty gritty dirt band.......

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2006, 10:51:05 AM »

wow al read this...pete Was actually the first Monkee to play an instrument on one of their records ("Papa Gene's Blues"), after writer/producer Michael Nesmith insisted Peter be allowed to add a guitar part.
and this The most accomplished musician of the Monkees, Tork plays twelve different instruments; his choice "depends on what kind of music I'm playing." While producers Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart admired Tork's playing, Tork was almost never given lead vocals on the Monkees' records. (Box-set and CD bonus tracks from the 1980s and 1990s include several rarely-heard Peter Tork songs and vocals.)
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0868074/bio

Bobber

« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2006, 11:26:41 AM »

Quote from: pc31
are you sure its mike????i didn't watch it yet?

Sorry, I always mix them up.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2006, 01:20:09 AM »

Don't get me wrong, PC.  I meant Mike and his Gretsch was wasted in the vid/studio.  He's an excellent songwriter and producer.  He also inherited a bunch of money because his mom invented Liquid Paper.  

He also won a lawsuit against PBS for $50 million regarding his company Pacific Arts which distributed videos for Ken Burns, et al.  

Guess the "smart Monkee" had something under than hat after all.

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2006, 11:20:51 AM »

Quote from: pc31
wow al read this...pete Was actually the first Monkee to play an instrument on one of their records ("Papa Gene's Blues"), after writer/producer Michael Nesmith insisted Peter be allowed to add a guitar part.
and this The most accomplished musician of the Monkees, Tork plays twelve different instruments; his choice "depends on what kind of music I'm playing." While producers Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart admired Tork's playing, Tork was almost never given lead vocals on the Monkees' records. (Box-set and CD bonus tracks from the 1980s and 1990s include several rarely-heard Peter Tork songs and vocals.)
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0868074/bio

Aha! Told ya!! ;)

I've got a Monkee boxset that has a few bonus Pete songs - all really bad though, in my opinion! :)

Bobber

« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2006, 12:51:48 PM »

I've posted Valerie on my podcast: http://bobbr.podomatic.com

Now, how's that for a live guitarsolo?  ;D

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2006, 05:06:59 PM »

I thought you were serious there at first. Mr Nesmith doesn't appear to be plugged in. But great miming from Davey.
don't follow leaders

Wayne L.

« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2006, 09:39:28 PM »

The Monkees are one of the greatest pop groups of all time & despite being a made for TV band for pre-teen/early teens in those days, they have finally gotten the respect they deserve 40 years later with their 60's contemporaries.  My favorite members of the Monkees are Mike Nesmith & Micky Dolenz because they had more attitude the the other two.  MN is a country rock pioneer in his own right, who is a great singer, songwriter & musician.  MD is a great vocalist who should have had some success as a solo artist after the breakup of the band.  I first became aware of the Monkees way back in 69 & their music, their sitcom & their trippy movie Head are timeless. I don't think there will be a 40th anniversary reunion tour at all, but I do expect TV Land to do a marathon this fall.

Bobber

« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2006, 03:50:03 PM »

Pleasant Valley Sunday on my podcast. Follow the link in my signature.

« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2006, 06:37:37 PM »

Quote from: 395
The Monkees are one of the greatest pop groups of all time & despite being a made for TV band for pre-teen/early teens in those days, they have finally gotten the respect they deserve 40 years later with their 60's contemporaries.  My favorite members of the Monkees are Mike Nesmith & Micky Dolenz because they had more attitude the the other two.  MN is a country rock pioneer in his own right, who is a great singer, songwriter & musician.  MD is a great vocalist who should have had some success as a solo artist after the breakup of the band.  I first became aware of the Monkees way back in 69 & their music, their sitcom & their trippy movie Head are timeless. I don't think there will be a 40th anniversary reunion tour at all, but I do expect TV Land to do a marathon this fall.

lol
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Page created in 0.507 seconds with 74 queries.