Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 5 stages of Ringo admiration  (Read 10850 times)

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
5 stages of Ringo admiration
« on: June 27, 2012, 12:31:49 AM »

I believe there are 5 phases of appreciation of Ringo:

1 - first discover the Beatles, love the seemingly simple melodies and beats
2 - get told Ringo sucks compared to great rock drummers that have cool solos incorporated into their songs
3 - accept/wonder if it is true, defend him best you can, have many doubts yourself
4 - continue listening to hidden complexities in his drumming, begin to believe again he is "good"
5 - laugh off criticisms from non-Beatle fans, know his skills expertly match what was needed within the band

Style is everything, Ringo was likely never asked to shine and can you imagine a different style of drumming on Beatles tracks?

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
Re: 5 stages of Ringo admiration
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 08:54:38 AM »

Is this sarcasm?

And should probably be in the Ringo board

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 11:13:49 AM »

no sarcasm, believe there are different levels of appreciation many people go through with Ringo.

Ringo section is under "solo" forums, felt it was more a Beatles comment.

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 12:11:11 PM »

no sarcasm, believe there are different levels of appreciation many people go through with Ringo.

Ringo section is under "solo" forums, felt it was more a Beatles comment.

Yeah, didn't strike me as being sarcastic. I think I went through a similar "learning curve" myself, in fact.
While I'm aware that Ringo is not the greatest drummer on the planet, I'm also aware that he is by no means the worst, and he wasn't just a hanger-on in The Beatles - he was an integral part of their sound and came up with some really unique drum patterns and fills that still stand out as original to this day.

His singing, however, is another matter  ;D

TomMo

• A Beginning
  • You Can't Do That
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 04:29:06 PM »

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Ringo was the best drummer FOR the Beatles. It's easy in hindsight to compare him unfavorably to other drummers. But at the time he joined the band, who but Ringo could drive the band the way he did?
"Beware of soft shoe shufflers"

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 05:25:38 PM »

i don't get this either, Ringo was by himself a very talented and accomplished drummer before the beatles.
 ;yes
day tripper yeah

TomMo

• A Beginning
  • You Can't Do That
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 05:30:49 PM »

i don't get this either, Ringo was by himself a very talented and accomplished drummer before the beatles.
 ;yes

;yes ;yes ;yes
"Beware of soft shoe shufflers"

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 10:21:53 PM »

That's a clever list, blmeanie, and it's similar to the way I became a Beatles fan and grew to truly appreciate Ringo.

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 08:27:58 AM »

;yes

That's not what is being discussed. This isn't a Ringo-bashing thread - it's the exact opposite.
It's basically about the fact that there are still lots of non-Beatles fans who just think Ringo wasn't any good - and how we, as Beatles fans, have responded to that.
My experience was the same as noted in the original post - I fell in love with Beatles music when I was young, then later on I realised that other people were knocking Ringo as a drummer and I began to have doubts myself. But then, after a while, I saw exactly what he brought to the Beatles sound and how they would have been a very different band without him. I realised that the Ringo-bashers were wrong, and once I was a little older this was reinforced when I began to meet drummers for myself, and none of THEM thought Ringo was rubbish either. In fact, I don't think I've ever met a drummer who didn't rate Ringo.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 11:55:36 AM »

;yes

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 02:14:03 AM »

That's not what is being discussed. This isn't a Ringo-bashing thread - it's the exact opposite.
wrong. i am just pointing out the obvious, you only need to put on a beatles record or listen to a beatles rock n roll song to determine that ringo was a very good drummer and that the beatles sound was very unique and innovative.  roll:) and i must say that i disagree with the tone of your rather unfortunate, spiritless and bombastic remarks.  i also take issue with this idea of beatles songs being only simple melodies and beats, in fact every beatles song is heavily textured and very complicated. fact is ringo was a good drummer and his drumming is unique to the beatles sound. end of story.
 ;yes
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 02:15:46 AM by 7 of 13 »
day tripper yeah

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 10:40:26 AM »

wrong.

What do you mean, "wrong"?
blmeanie - who started this thread - has just agreed with the point I made, supporting the original post. How can I be "wrong"?!

roll:) and i must say that i disagree with the tone of your rather unfortunate, spiritless and bombastic remarks.  i also take issue with this idea of beatles songs being only simple melodies and beats, in fact every beatles song is heavily textured and very complicated. fact is ringo was a good drummer and his drumming is unique to the beatles sound. end of story.
 ;yes

What exactly did I say that was "unfortunate, spiritless and bombastic"? I was just pointing out that you have the wrong end of the stick, and that no-one in this thread is criticising Ringo's drumming.
In fact, responding to a post and beginning with the word "wrong" and ending with the phrase "end of story" is what I'd call the exact definition of "unfortunate, spiritless and bombastic".

And who said anything about Beatles songs having "simple melodies and beats"? I certainly didn't.

Have I missed something? Is this a wind up? Am I on Candid Camera?  :-\
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 10:42:28 AM by peterbell1 »

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 10:11:58 PM »

And who said anything about Beatles songs having "simple melodies and beats"? I certainly didn't.

Unfortunately I did, but the exact quote is "1 - first discover the Beatles, love the seemingly simple melodies and beats"

The word seemingly was to describe my young impressionable thoughts when I first heard and began loving the sounds they produced.  I don't believe they are simple melodies and beats but I would venture to guess that some people that don't like the Beatles music might suggest that they were "simple melodies and beats".

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 02:14:29 AM »

Unfortunately I did, but the exact quote is "1 - first discover the Beatles, love the seemingly simple melodies and beats"

The word seemingly was to describe my young impressionable thoughts when I first heard and began loving the sounds they produced.  I don't believe they are simple melodies and beats but I would venture to guess that some people that don't like the Beatles music might suggest that they were "simple melodies and beats".
i'll give you that one, being a musician of sorts i was chewing on the phrase "simple melodies and beats" more than anything else. i just plain don't understand simple when it comes to beatles.
you sort of mentioned impressionable youth, yes but i somehow got beyond that. and seriously i don't care what other people think, about me,  about my musical tastes, what color shirt i choose to be wearing, and especially what i think about beatles music.
What do you mean, "wrong"?
blmeanie - who started this thread - has just agreed with the point I made, supporting the original post. How can I be "wrong"?!

What exactly did I say that was "unfortunate, spiritless and bombastic"?
Have I missed something? Is this a wind up? Am I on Candid Camera?  :-\
your spiritless rejoinders are irrelevant and unnecessary. for one thing show me where i said anything about this being a ringo bashing thread or whatever suits your fancy. 
 ;yes
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 02:55:09 AM by 7 of 13 »
day tripper yeah

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 06:42:58 AM »

Every post is an adventure.

Bobber

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 07:50:02 AM »

Every post is an adventure.

Who needs Ice Age 4?

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 08:02:24 AM »

your spiritless rejoinders are irrelevant and unnecessary. for one thing show me where i said anything about this being a ringo bashing thread or whatever suits your fancy. 
 ;yes

Are you for real?
I'd rather be "spiritless" than downright insulting.
I'll leave you to it ...

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 05:43:40 PM »

Is this sarcasm?

And should probably be in the Ringo board
i agree.
 ;yes
Are you for real?
I'd rather be "spiritless" than downright insulting.
I'll leave you to it ...
oh my sweet lord. spiritless as in pointless, you are making it up as you go along. i have never heard anyone badmouth ringo, that idea itself is confused and quite childish. and i have insulted nobody, that you choose to post meaningless insults, vapid and spiked commentary, and irrelevant rejoinders indicates a problem on your end. roll:)
i'm sorry peterbell1 but it appears that your have either not read my statements or have misinterpreted them.  ???
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 10:11:31 PM by 7 of 13 »
day tripper yeah

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 07:58:40 PM »

Jefferson Airplane -White Rabbit-
I can stay till it's time to go

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 11:47:21 PM »

i have never heard anyone badmouth ringo, that idea itself is confused and quite childish.

Then you need to leave your mothers basement more often. Seriously, do you even follow music?
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 1.044 seconds with 84 queries.