Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: RIP George Martin  (Read 7480 times)

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
RIP George Martin
« on: March 09, 2016, 05:20:52 AM »

Word is out that Sir George has passed. Very sad news.

:(
'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: RIP George Martin
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 05:35:24 AM »

It's a sad day.  He'll be missed.
I can stay till it's time to go

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 06:58:55 AM »

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 07:23:20 AM »

He had a good innings.  90 is pretty impressive. Still sad to see him go. Time is passing fast.

Catro

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 07:46:56 AM »

The older I get, the more I appreciate what a phenomenon The Beatles actually were.

When you think every band has a set line-up, which although can change, you never get people associated with them as official members, which makes it more incredible that there was always a case for a fifth Beatle - Sir George, Brian Epstein and Stuart Sutcliffe. Theres even a wiki page dedicated to it.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_Beatle

But for me, when it comes down to the music, Sir George has to fill that role.
He was Algernon to the Fab's Bash Street Kids.

RIP, Sir George.

Bobber

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 08:22:58 AM »

Essential in the development of The Beatles and their music. He'll be sadly missed and so will his stories. Another part of the Beatles family gone.

fanofthefab4

• A Beginning
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 09:01:25 AM »

:( George Martin was a musically talented guy and he always seemed like a very nice person too.But at least he was lucky enough to live to be 90,people are lucky if they live to be 80.

Around 2003 I found an online interview with George Martin and he said that  even though he has produced many other music artists and he has never had the same success before or after producing The Beatles,he has never known or  worked with anyone as brilliant as The Beatles. He was also interviews in the  1990's on a Breakfast With The Beatles show on a local rock station,and he said  that John Lennon and Paul McCartney were incredibly talented people and he said  it like he still couldn't believe it.And he also said they both were  extraordinarily talented song writers and great singers.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 11:07:37 AM »

Sad that he has died but he had a very good innings, also a very good life

RIP George
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 12:34:28 PM »

RIP George
Beatles music gives me Eargasms

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 01:17:25 PM »

RIP.

While he wasn't active lately, having passed the torch to Giles on Beatles related projects, George will be missed.  The stories especially.  Another domino falls unfortunately, but he lived to 90!

Dmitry

• Administrator
  • A Thousand Pages
    • www.murashev.com
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 01:35:46 PM »

Sad news.

RIP.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 01:53:51 PM »

A sad passing. Sympathy to his family. He will be missed.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 04:33:21 PM »

The most important Beatles-related person other than the Fab Four. RIP.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Pothos

• A Beginning
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 06:04:30 PM »

RIP Sir George and thank you.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 10:40:44 PM by Pothos »

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 08:31:26 PM »

I am so sad.  :'(  RIP George, and condolences to his family.

KelMar

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2016, 06:45:20 AM »

Like others have said, it makes me so sad to think that another part of the Beatles' story has gone but at the same time it's amazing to reflect on his longevity. It's especially gratifying given the fact that others in the story left way before their time. R.I.P. George.

real01

• Getting Better
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2016, 09:36:19 PM »

RIP.
While he wasn't active lately, having passed the torch to Giles on Beatles related projects, George will be missed.  The stories especially.  Another domino falls unfortunately, but he lived to 90!

R.I.P

Well, he wasn't involved in latest remixing/reissues of the Band's music - mostly because of his problems with hearing:

As we walked up the lawn, Sir George told me he had to rely on two hearing aids and lip-reading to converse. I asked if he could hear music. He shook his head. “I have it all in my head, of course, but I can’t hear the range of notes anymore. It’s frustrating.”

Sir George blamed his predicament on years spent in recording studios with music blaring for up to 14 hours a day. Which, of course, terrified me. What about all the kids who are walking around with white headphones for hours at a time? “I’m afraid it’s going to happen to them as well as they age unless they give their ears a chance to repair,” he said.

On 'Eleanor Rigby':
MM: What do the strings add?
GM: Drama and tension. They raise the song to a different place in the heart, don’t you think? My approach was greatly influenced by Bernard Herrmann and his film score for Psycho. He had a way of making violins sound fierce. That inspired me to have the strings play short notes forcefully, giving the song a nice punch. If you listen to the two, you’ll hear the connection.

On 'In My Life':
MM: You played on quite a few Beatles songs. What’s your favorite George Martin solo?
GM: Probably my piano solo on In My Life, from Rubber Soul. Because it was unusual. I was playing a "wind-up" piano.

MM: How did you invent that?
GM: Expediency, old chap [laughs]. I found that on In My Life, I couldn’t play the piano at the speed it needed to be played, the way I’d written the part. I wasn’t that good a pianist, but if you had had a really good pianist, he could do it. I couldn’t get all the notes in. One night I was by myself and played the notes at half speed but an octave lower on the piano, recording at 15 inches per second. When I ran the tape back at 30 inches per second, the notes were at the right speed and in the correct octave.

MM: Did the piano still sound like a piano?
GM: Not exactly. As you’re doubling up the speed, you’re also shortening the decay of each note. The piano’s sound has a resonance. By doubling the speed, you are cutting that resonance in half. That's why it sounds like a harpsichord.

About his hearing loss:
GM: I mean in the 1930s, everyone smoked cigarettes. No one said to them, “Hold on, put that out because you’re going to kill yourself. You’ll get cancer of the lung.” Nobody said that. And people were still smoking over the decades that followed, until there was awareness.

MM: And in the studio?
GM: Well, in the ‘60s, nobody said to us, “Don’t listen to loud music for too long because if you do you’ll go deaf.” I guess I found out too late. The fact is it isn’t just loud music that takes away your ears.

MM: How so?
GM: You can be by an airplane when it takes off and it’s not going to damage your hearing. You might have a bit of ringing, but you won’t really damage it. The damage is caused by loud sounds, multiplied by duration of those loud sounds.

MM: So people today who walk around all the time wearing white headphones are in trouble.
GM: They are. I tell young people that if you’re in a loud environment, like a disco or a very loud concert, after every hour, take 10 minutes and go outside and walk around. It doesn’t matter what songs you’re missing, you’re saving your ears. Let them repair. I never did that.

MM: How long were you in the studio each day?
GM: I was listening to quite loud sounds for 14 hours at a stretch, day-after-day. The other thing people don’t realize is the damage is not always apparent very quickly. One day it first sneaks up you.

MM: When did you first become aware of your hearing loss?
GM: In the ‘70s, I started to realize I couldn’t hear the top range the way I used to. It hit me when I was in my own studio and was doing some paperwork in the control room.

http://www.jazzwax.com/2012/09/interview-sir-george-martin-pt-1.html

But, he prepared something for us...
George Martin’s final project, an eight-part TV series on the evolution of recording technologies, now has a special all-star promo which celebrates the music maker's incredible legacy.

The Beatles producer and arranger had been pouring his energies into Soundbreaking: Songs From The Cutting Edge Of Recorded Music, when he passed away Tuesday, March 8 at the age of 90.
Martin and his son Giles spent five years working on the documentary series.

Martin prepared a quote on the series prior to his passing. “Music is the only common thread and universal language that binds us together regardless of race, nationality, age or income. And, recorded music is how we experience it and what makes it accessible," he said. "Through the production of Soundbreaking, I was afforded the opportunity to tell the story of the creative process of so many of the artists I have worked with throughout my life.”

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7090288/george-martin-final-project-soundbreaking
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 09:38:12 PM by real01 »

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2016, 09:57:19 PM »

I look forward to that series real01.  I wasn't aware of it.

real01

• Getting Better
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2016, 10:32:27 PM »

I look forward to that series real01.  I wasn't aware of it.
No doubt it'll be interesting stuff to watch. And to remember Mr. Martin.

real01

• Getting Better
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2016, 10:37:59 PM »

(Chord instructions? :angel:)

Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.391 seconds with 87 queries.