Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Who's the 5th Beatle?  (Read 35854 times)

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
Re: Who's the 5th Beatle?
« Reply #120 on: June 20, 2008, 10:49:12 AM »

On the other hand there was John, Paul, George, Pete and Chas. Newby advertised as the Beatles direct from Hamburg who made such a terrific impact at Litherland Town Hall, but no one would suggest Chas as a fifth Beatle.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #121 on: June 21, 2008, 11:06:28 PM »

hey, Bill Harry is the 5th Beatle!!  ;)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #122 on: June 21, 2008, 11:38:50 PM »

hell no chas ain't a fifth beatle but bill could be.....

Oh Pineapple

• Getting Better
  • in the middle of the roundabout
« Reply #123 on: July 24, 2008, 07:01:52 PM »

Maybe there were several different people called the "fifth Beatle". Maybe throughout the Beatles musical era, or even later on? I think there was defiantly a "fifth Beatle" way before George Martin. And as the group progressed as a band, so did each member of it. Musically and personally. Stronger bonds would be made between the boys and some bonds would wear off. (Pete Best for example) They could of called him the fifth Beatle at some point in time and then obviously boot him off, since he was no longer apart of the band after awhile. But me personally, I think George Martin was the "real" fifth Beatle all a long. But also with the fact, that he was never the first. Who really knows? Just like DaveRam said, the fifth Beatle could of been the fans.  
So it could of been anybody.
"..Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup, they slither while they pass, they slip away across the universe. Pools of sorrow waves of joy are drifting through my opened mind.."

cubanheel

• Getting Better
« Reply #124 on: July 25, 2008, 12:01:40 PM »

For me, it kind of depends on what you're looking at  -  musically, direction-wise (hey, I know that's not a word), historically (in terms of helping them become who they became), visually (they had so many iconic images, from Astrid in Hamburg right through to Let it Be), so I'm gonna cop out completely and say, well, I can't narrow it down!!
...once there was a way to get back homeward ...

cubanheel

• Getting Better
« Reply #125 on: July 25, 2008, 12:02:38 PM »

So I voted, there is no 5th Beatle, but what I really mean is there is no single 5th Beatle, just about a hundred or so.
...once there was a way to get back homeward ...

62redux

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #126 on: September 24, 2008, 06:41:06 PM »

It's a fun question to consider in a figurative sense...all in the list can be "5th" in a figurative sense but, it's fun to look at that as possibly being a trick question.  Consider the chronology.

Look at the band's timeline, and you'll quickly see was the original 5th beatle in the literal sense of the term: no one.  

here's why: An existing foursome was called the "silver beatles", and soon added a 5th silver beatle as drummer.

Soonafter, with "silver" being dropped, all 5 "silver beatles" simultaneously became an original beatle. It's not as if there were 3 "beatles"..then a 4th..then 5th, then back to 4.  In reality, PB was the 5th Silver Beatle, but then at time of name change in 8/60 all 5 instantaneously became "a beatle", so no one was 1st, 2nd, 3rd, but in the history of the Silver Beatles, PB was the original 5th silver beatle.  Stu was never a 5th in the literal sense, but became a figurative 5th when he quit the band.  It's also documented by the consummate authority (Neil Aspinall) that either Pete or Stu would have to be considered the "5th".   There were 6 total people on the planet that were "a beatle".  Thankfully, 3 of them are still with us.  Fun question up top, but why wouldn't pb even be on the list ?   (for fun sake, could even add chas newby as didn't he sit in on bass as a beatle for the first "beatles" (not quarrymen) shows at casbah after 1st hamburg trip?.  

All in good fun though. thanks for the survey question..that was just my 2 cents for the sake of fun tidbits...see ya

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #127 on: October 05, 2008, 03:41:22 AM »

Quote from: 568
John definitely "Fire" ,and I like Paul being "Air" also. How about Ringo being "Earth"? What about George? Water? (He did sing "Wah Wah" on ? ATMP?)  :)

That's a good way of putting it...makes sense to me.   :)

BTW, I voted in favor of George Martin.  He might not have been a band member technically, but he was such an important part of helping the band get its "sound."

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #128 on: February 17, 2009, 08:48:41 PM »

I would like to think of Stu as the fifth Beatle...

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #129 on: February 25, 2009, 12:57:10 PM »

would you care to fiddle about j?

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #130 on: February 25, 2009, 08:45:10 PM »

???

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #131 on: February 27, 2009, 04:03:13 PM »

PkEAS_eySw4

ringo was slated for ernies part and did it in the play but couldn't do the movie...

I am the Paulrus

• Getting Better
    • FAB 4 FORUM
« Reply #132 on: April 06, 2009, 04:57:45 AM »

Who would you consider as your favourite 5th Beatle/Beatles?

I would say anyone who was in The Beatles' inner circle was a 5th Beatle. In this case, I would say 5th Beatles: George Martin, Brian Epstein, Mal Evans, Neil Aspinall, Derek Taylor, Alistair Taylor, Tony Bramwell,Tony Barrow, Alf Bicknell, Billy Preston, Stu Sutcliffe, Eric Clapton, and Pete Best.

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #133 on: June 22, 2009, 05:33:12 PM »

Sir George Martin said that Neil Aspinall was the fifth Beatle. Neil said, "I keep trying to lay that on George! There is no fifth Beatle. I think if there was such a thing it would be Pete Best or Stu Sutcliffe, not some outsider who wasn't in the band. A ridiculous suggestion."

TomMo

• A Beginning
  • You Can't Do That
« Reply #134 on: June 12, 2012, 05:37:13 AM »

This question has given me a "Wah-Wah", that's for sure.

Allow me to put my professor hat on. Looking at the question historically and scientifically, weighing all the choices, I came up with two finalists: Brian Epstein and Sir George Martin. But wait! There can only be one FIFTH BEATLE! What to do. What to do.

Ah, who else would know the identity of the Fifth Beatle? Perhaps one of the FOUR BEATLES.

George Harrison voted for Derek Taylor and Neil Aspinall. Good choices indeed. But Paul McCartney voted for Brian Epstein. I have utilized the only fair way to arrive at a final answer: The Seniority System. Since Paul was a Beatle before George, Paul's vote has more weight. Therefore, the answer is: Brian Epstein. There it is.
"Beware of soft shoe shufflers"

TomMo

• A Beginning
  • You Can't Do That
« Reply #135 on: June 27, 2012, 05:39:18 PM »

My previous opinion is now inoperative. I now have photographic evidence. HERE is the Fifth Beatle:
"Beware of soft shoe shufflers"

BeatlesAtTheirBest

• A Beginning
« Reply #136 on: July 05, 2012, 02:47:10 AM »

The real 5th Beatle is the REAL 5th Beatle.

The only man who doesn't need anyone to give him the title because he already owns it.

The ONLY person who can say it as an absolute fact.

Pete Best

The Beatles (1960-1970) - John, Stu, Paul, George, Pete & Ringo

www.TheUltimateTrip.net

Bobber

« Reply #137 on: July 05, 2012, 07:51:29 AM »

The real 5th Beatle is the REAL 5th Beatle.

The only man who doesn't need anyone to give him the title because he already owns it.

The ONLY person who can say it as an absolute fact.

Pete Best

You have made your point on numerous occasions.

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #138 on: July 06, 2012, 11:16:17 AM »

Bobbyer pete was Beatle Number four

Bobber

« Reply #139 on: July 06, 2012, 12:32:59 PM »

Bobbyer pete was Beatle Number four

Well, Stuart was there before him, so he used to be #5.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 91 queries.