Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Should Paul collaborate/have collaborated with a lyricist?  (Read 2160 times)

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.

Why not? It's has become pretty clear that melody is what matters first and foremost to him. I personally don't think that all of his lyrics suck - a lazy opinion that has become pretty popular over the years, but I sometimes do feel that more work put into the words could've improved some of his songs.

Just look at Elton John. Like Paul, he's got an incredible ear for melody and from what I've read, can knock one out even in his sleep. Yet, 'Tumbleweed Connection' and 'Madman Across The Water' (and probably others, I've only heard those 2) do benefit a lot from him having Bernie Taupin as a lyricist. The first's an unmatched Old West portrait and the second contains some of my favourite character-studies.

Another good example would be Brian Wilson's collaborations with Tony Asher (on 'Pet Sounds') and Van Dyke Parks (on 'Smile').

So, has Paul ever attempted anything like this before? (not really familiar with his post Tug of War work). If no, should he?
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Should Paul collaborate/have collaborated with a lyricist?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 11:34:12 PM »

I don't see why not! You can't knock him off his throne by any means! I personally think Press To Play is one of his better solo albums. I would think it would be fun for him.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
Re: Should Paul collaborate/have collaborated with a lyricist?
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 11:43:35 AM »

He did some fine co-wok with Elvis Costello. Don't know who contributed what lyrically, but a few really good songs sprang forth. My fave is 'So Like Candy' from Elvis' 'Mighty Like a Rose'.

I always thought their voices could blend in a nice way, too. Elvis can do edgy, similar to Lennon, and the mix could be very interesting. Always hoped they'd do more together.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Page created in 0.561 seconds with 43 queries.