Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Things the Beatles were beaten  (Read 28384 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Things the Beatles were beaten
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2011, 04:41:20 AM »

I think Im right in saying that The Yardbirds tried to put sitar on a single before norwegian wood but ended up just making a guitar sound similar to a sitar, I believe it was 'Heart Full Of Soul'

The sitar sounded a bit thin so Jeff Beck used a fuzz box to achieve a sitar-like effect...

The Yardbirds - Heart Full Of Soul (With Jeff Beck)
I can stay till it's time to go
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2011, 03:23:12 PM »

Indeed, the guitar of the final version of "Heart Full Of Soul" does sound like a sitar. "See My Friends" by the Kinks (also from mid-1965) has that raga sound too.

THE KINKS "See my friends"
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2011, 10:07:53 PM »

listen. this is a fascinating discussion up to this point... but...this does not in anyway prove that psychedelia began with a couple/handful of pop songs from the later stages of beatlemania. or by any random collection of american and british folk, folk-rock and straightforward rock bands. don't get me wrong, i love those songs, no doubt, especially donovan, but pschedelia didn't begin there, it was part of something bigger, pop rock is what it is. just like the free speech movement didn't really begin at Peoples Park in Berkeley, though it is convenient to thinks so. just like the civil rights movement didn't begin with Martin Luther King and his 'I Have a Dream' speech, but i suppose it can be considered a turning point. if by pschedelia you mean acid rock, then you have alot of explaining to do about how that can only happen in a recording studio. that idea in itself seems a wee bit contrived and shall we a poor synthesis to me.

that's like saying a drum circle is not a drum circle unless you have someone on cowbell and everybody has to wear a green shirt. i hope you can see how contrived/unrealistic that is.

About the origin of pychedelia, we could also name "The Word", because of the colorful lyrics, the repetitive guitar, crazy bass playing, the intrincate drumming and the hypnotic harmonium. But it would be a proto-psychedelic tune. But still the first nearly pure psychedelic songs I can think of are "Eight Miles High" and "Shapes Of Things".
again those might be fine examples of proto-acid rock and acid rock, but that has precisely nothing to do with the the civil rights and free speech movements that were also a prominent part of the the 1960's counterculture. again the framework was much larger, a good example of this, is dino valenti song get together, other bands were able to expand and improve upon his original song and the beautiful lyrics.
 ;sorry
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 10:21:54 PM by 7 of 13 »
day tripper yeah

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2011, 04:23:48 AM »

I see your point, and I understand that psychedelia was a process, not something that appeared with a couple of songs. My point was that those songs were the first ones that we could consider as pure psychedelia, despite this may be a subjective argument. And I'm just talking about music, by the way, I know that psychedelia as a movement was something beyond rock.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2011, 05:16:06 AM »

again the framework was much larger, a good example of this, is dino valenti song get together, other bands were able to expand and improve upon his original song and the beautiful lyrics.

It's hard to say if Chet Powers' original version of Let's Get Together was improved upon by other artists.  That would be a matter of individual taste.  But it certainly became one of the love and peace anthems of the 1960s.

THE KINGSTON TRIO- "GET TOGETHER" (W / LYRICS)

Early DAVID CROSBY - GET TOGETHER (Pre-Byrds Folk Rock)

We Five - Let's Get Together

HP Lovecraft - 02 - Let's Get Together

Crosby Stills Nash & Young & Joni Mitchel - Everybody get together

The Carpenters - Get Together [1969] (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2011, 06:13:03 AM »

You're welcome, Kelley.  Let's Get Together is one of my favorite songs too.  And one of the first I learned on guitar.

That was Joni Mitchell, CS&N and John Sebastian at the September, 1969 Big Sur Folk Festival.  Neil Young was there too but he refused to be filmed.

Barry

Bobber

« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2011, 06:59:12 AM »

That was Joni Mitchell, CS&N and John Sebastian at the September, 1969 Big Sur Folk Festival.

Watching the video, I can imagine it was a wonderful time to live in. Where did that feeling of the late sixties ever go to?

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2011, 03:09:14 PM »

My favourite version of "Let's Get Together" is the one by Jefferson Airplane, though I may be biased in my opinion since I'm a big fan of them. I love the guitar solo of Jorma Kaukonen in that song.

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2011, 04:54:37 PM »

It's hard to say if Chet Powers' original version of Let's Get Together was improved upon by other artists.  That would be a matter of individual taste.  But it certainly became one of the love and peace anthems of the 1960s.
well then i screwed up, i had no idea that was a Chet Powers song, i just noticed the worlds of difference between the youngbloods version and the dino valenti version of that song.
;sorry
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 04:57:41 PM by 7 of 13 »
day tripper yeah

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2011, 05:55:32 PM »

No, it's easy to mess up.  Chester (Chet) William Powers, Jr. was known by his stage name Dino Valenti as a singer.  He used the name Jesse Oris Farrow as a songwriter.  When he joined Quicksilver Messenger Service, he used the name Dino Valente.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2011, 06:03:50 PM »

Dino Valenti is also said to be the author of the famous song "Hey Joe" (made by Hendrix, the Byrds, Love, the Leaves), but I've read that the actual songwriter was a guy named Billy Roberts (or was it another pseudonym of him?).

I like his song "Dino's Song", here played by Quicksilver Messenger Service in the Monterrey Pop Festival in 1967 (I think he wasn't a member of the band yet):

Quicksilver Messenger Service LIVE 1967

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2011, 12:49:49 AM »

Dino Valenti is also said to be the author of the famous song "Hey Joe" (made by Hendrix, the Byrds, Love, the Leaves), but I've read that the actual songwriter was a guy named Billy Roberts (or was it another pseudonym of him?).

I like his song "Dino's Song", here played by Quicksilver Messenger Service in the Monterrey Pop Festival in 1967 (I think he wasn't a member of the band yet):

Quicksilver Messenger Service LIVE 1967
quicksilver messenger service, there isn't alot to say.

No, it's easy to mess up.  Chester (Chet) William Powers, Jr. was known by his stage name Dino Valenti as a singer.  He used the name Jesse Oris Farrow as a songwriter.  When he joined Quicksilver Messenger Service, he used the name Dino Valenti.
you mean i had it right the first time. anyway his version has plenty of punch, but i am most familar with The Youngbloods version.
day tripper yeah

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2011, 04:27:30 AM »

Right, 7 of 13.  Chet Powers and Dino Valenti are the same person.

I remember hearing Let's Get Together for the first time as performed by Jefferson Airplane and soon after by The We Five in 1965.  I heard The Youngbloods' version in 1967 but it really became popular in 1969 when it was used in a TV commercial for the National Conference of Christians and Jews.  I heard the original version by Chet Powers a year or two before.

It took its rightful place as an anthem of the 1960s along with Blowin' In The Wind, The Times They Are a-Changin', Where Have All The Flowers Gone, I Ain't Marching Anymore, I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die Rag, Turn! Turn! Turn! and others.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2011, 01:10:08 AM »

Watching the video, I can imagine it was a wonderful time to live in. Where did that feeling of the late sixties ever go to?

I don't know, Bobber...

...and sometimes I still think of Barbara.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2011, 03:38:40 AM »

Bobber, Joni Mitchell didn't make Woodstock.  She wrote the song and performed it at Big Sur...

Joni Mitchell - Woodstock (Big Sur, CA 1969)

We are stardust...billion year old carbon

KelMar

« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2011, 03:58:10 AM »

I really wanted to go to Woodstock but I was only 6 so my parents wouldn't let me. ;) They wouldn't let my brother either. I'm surprised he didn't just take off and go anyway. He had his ticket.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2011, 04:39:34 AM »

I made it to Monticello where I left my car (the MGB).  Route 17B was jammed.  I was supposed to meet my cousin in Bethel so I took off by foot.  I reminisced on the 40th anniversary here:  http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/index.php?topic=9430.0

KelMar

« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2011, 04:54:14 AM »

^^^
So you actually made it there! I've always wanted to know someone who was there. ;)

KelMar

« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2011, 05:08:05 AM »

^^^
So you actually made it there! I've always wanted to know someone who was there. ;)

Oh, I see what happened now. LOL Sounds like you had a good time anyway. ;) ;) I just remembered that my boss was there. I was pretty surprised when I found that out second hand, at the time of the 40th anniversary. People were snickering about it behind his back but I had to ask him about it. I think he was just as surprised that I was interested.
He had a long walk to get there too but he didn't get distracted.  ;)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2011, 05:35:07 AM »

Oh, I see what happened now. LOL Sounds like you had a good time anyway. ;) ;)

We missed the big gig.  I heard it was far out!  ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Page created in 0.392 seconds with 83 queries.