Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: One of these doesn't belong ...  (Read 2589 times)

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
One of these doesn't belong ...
« on: April 01, 2008, 10:01:40 PM »

... Or does it?

OK, it might be so abstruse as to be lame, but here goes - how does Battle Creek, Michigan (best known perhaps as the home of Wheaties and Kellogg's Corn Flakes) fit into this list/sequence of names and places?

Royal Albert Hall >>  Battle Creek, Michigan  >> Gordon Waller >>  A Band Called Smith - Baby It's You.
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Bobber

Re: One of these doesn't belong ...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 07:08:03 PM »

Tell me. I assume it has something to do with Beatles.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 02:48:02 PM »

Any other answers?

Hint: What one person (Rock legend) is the common thread to all of these? Yes, he is Beatles-related, though he's definitely not someone we talk about all the time, not in the running for the "5th Beatle" - wouldn't be too much of a challenge if he were!

Or, how are all of these in some fashion Beatle-related (the last one by name at least, obviously, but also tied in to the "common thread" person).
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 03:56:54 PM »

Anything to do with Philles Records?(confused)

BlueMeanie

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 04:18:09 PM »

Del Shannon?

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 04:35:34 PM »

Quote from: 483
Del Shannon?

Ding, Ding, Ding - we have a winna - Mr. BM!

Here's what I found out (BTW, Dell Shannon wrote and recorded the huge hit "Runaway" in 1961, with huge credit due to his keyboardist Max Crook. Crook built a tone generator from tubes and bits of wires and resistors lying around the house, and so that incredible keyboard solo cannot be replicated exactly by anyone but him!):

1) Del Shannon, on the basis of Runaway met The Beatles while they were performing at the Royal Albert Hall in 1963 (wonder who was higher on the bill?). They played from me to you, he loved it, recorded it, and charted with it in the States in June of 1963. Del Shannon hailed out of Battle Creek Michigan. His story can be read here http://www.delshannon.com/runaway.htm  and here http://www.rockhall.com/inductee/del-shannon  .

2) Del Shannon wrote the song "Needles and Pins" which was a big hit for Peter and Gordon in the early '60s. From what I remember about the song, it sounds VERY Lennon-McCartney like, I was really surprised to learn that it was written by someone as far removed from the Beatles as Del Shannon. "Peter" of Peter and Gordon is Peter Asher, the brother of Jane Asher, Paul's girlfriend for most of the early '60s.

3) Del Shannon produced "Baby It's You" for "A Band Called Smith". A great cover version of The Beatle's great cover version of a (?) Shirelle's song!

So there it is ... some random dude from Battle Creek, Michigan part of the magical Beatles web - even being the first one to chart in the States with a Lennon-McCartney tune!

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

BlueMeanie

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 04:39:03 PM »

I claim my prize!!

Page created in 0.292 seconds with 44 queries.