Other forums > Different Conversations

Random Thoughts

<< < (1720/2108) > >>

nimrod:

--- Quote from: In My Life on September 04, 2013, 05:42:45 PM ---I swore up and down that I would never touch 8 but my co-worker's computer is dying and we decided that she should get my 7 machine so here I am! I do need to learn it because I'm the person who helps our library patrons with computer issues but I will keep my home 7 machine forever....even if I have to replace all the parts!

--- End quote ---

let me know how it goes Kelley, my lappy is due for update soon and I'll be getting 8 :P

KelMar:

--- Quote from: nimrod on September 04, 2013, 10:12:11 PM ---let me know how it goes Kelley, my lappy is due for update soon and I'll be getting 8 :P

--- End quote ---

Well, Kev, after two days with 8 all I can say is that it was kind of an ill-convinced venture! Microsoft should have just released two versions; one for people who want to touch their computer screens and one for the rest of us. The "Metro" view looks like a smartphone with its apps but there is also a desktop view. Running the Metro screen with a mouse feels clunky. I rarely venture there except when I have to. The thing I hated the most at first was the lack of a start menu on the desktop. I use that list on the right side of the start menu a lot so I finally made my own by creating desktop shortcuts for all the places on the list and stacking them up in order where the menu would be. That would be my best advice if you want to try and replicate the look of 7. Having said all that, it really isn't that hard to learn. Whenever I get stuck I just Google. Most everything is still lurking in the system somewhere, you just have to figure out where it is as you go.

Normandie:

--- Quote from: In My Life on September 04, 2013, 05:42:45 PM ---I swore up and down that I would never touch 8 but my co-worker's computer is dying and we decided that she should get my 7 machine so here I am! I do need to learn it because I'm the person who helps our library patrons with computer issues but I will keep my home 7 machine forever....even if I have to replace all the parts!

--- End quote ---

UGH my kids' new computer has 8, and it took me literally about 15 minutes to figure out how to turn the darn thing off! Of course, the kids had it all figured out in no time.  ha2ha   

Normandie:

--- Quote from: Dcazz on September 04, 2013, 04:54:00 PM ---If you look above the stove on the beehive oven you'll see a Charleville musket that I believe was carried by my 5th great grandfather. He was a  member of Marblehead's Gen. John Glovers Regiment. he was an oarsman on Gen. Washington's boat when he crossed the Delaware River at Trenton, NJ.

--- End quote ---

That is so fascinating! Yes, I had noticed the musket and had wondered how old it was.

I've been following your and Kelley's (and others') posts in the Genealogy thread with a lot of interest.

Dcazz:

--- Quote from: Normandie on September 06, 2013, 01:38:49 PM ---That is so fascinating! Yes, I had noticed the musket and had wondered how old it was.

I've been following your and Kelley's (and others') posts in the Genealogy thread with a lot of interest.

--- End quote ---
Me too! I think it's a 1768 Charleville (French)  musket. After his enlistment was up he became a Privateer and was later captured by the British in a sea battle and spent 2 years in Dartmoor Prison. He was released early because he was witnessed giving medical assistance to both British and American wounded.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version