Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21

Author Topic: Which Beatle book are you reading right now?  (Read 87691 times)

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Which Beatle book are you reading right now?
« Reply #100 on: July 05, 2007, 09:55:56 PM »

not been reading an awful lot of the Beatles lately :-/ as i've been
reading biographies on Tony Visconti, Anne Frank, & Graham Chapman.
yes, very odd choices i have but i love to read so much on people! :)  

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Michelle Revolution

• A Beginning
« Reply #101 on: July 10, 2007, 09:53:34 PM »

I am currently reading Revolution: The Making Of The Beatles\' White Album by David Quantick. Some good fresh views on overly-familiar material, so far so good. I really like books that analyze each song, such as Revolution In The Head by Ian MacDonald.

This book is part of the Vinyl Frontier series of books, I have another in the series called I Just Wasn\'t Made For These Times: The Making Of Pet Sounds but I haven\'t started that one yet.  
[face=sans-serif][size=25]My MySpace site: http://www.myspace.com/michellerevolution[/face][/size]

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2007, 10:05:28 PM »

Quote from: 723
I really like books that analyze each song, such as Revolution In The Head by Ian MacDonald.

yeah, me too. i'm slightly obsessed with that kinda thing! tha or
a-z books (like Bill Harry's :))

Michelle Revolution

• A Beginning
« Reply #103 on: July 10, 2007, 10:12:42 PM »

I have Bill Harry\'s book too and I agree it is an addictive read. There are a few silly errors in there though but who is qualified to proof-read a book of that sort? Despite the errors, I wouldn\'t be without this book.
[face=sans-serif][size=25]My MySpace site: http://www.myspace.com/michellerevolution[/face][/size]

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #104 on: July 10, 2007, 10:12:47 PM »

I am currently reading Revolution: The Making Of The Beatles\' White Album by David Quantick. Some good fresh views on overly-familiar material, so far so good. I really like books that analyze each song, such as Revolution In The Head by Ian MacDonald.

This book is part of the Vinyl Frontier series of books, I have another in the series called I Just Wasn\'t Made For These Times: The Making Of Pet Sounds but I haven\'t started that one yet.  

They should both be interesting to read, Michelle.  They've become companion books for their respective albums.

For me, Pet Sounds remains a complicated album.  I knew that when it was first released.  I can remember saying to myself "I'm too young to understand all of this now."  There remain some things I've yet to understand.  I Just Wasn't Made For These Times: Brian Wilson and the Making Of Pet Sounds would be a great book to read on my upcoming vacation.
I can stay till it's time to go

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #105 on: July 10, 2007, 10:22:37 PM »

Pet Sounds had a very strong effect on me at a young age, i have great memories
of first discovering it when i was about 14 or 15. It was a great summer as well when
i discovered the album, same as when i discovered the fabs & Sgt Pepper. :)
i played pet sounds so much & still do which drives my folks crazy! ;D
Haven't read that book but i want to, it's not a huge read as i assume?
 :)

Michelle Revolution

• A Beginning
« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2007, 07:29:35 PM »

Quote from: 59

They should both be interesting to read, Michelle.  They\'ve become companion books for their respective albums.

For me, Pet Sounds remains a complicated album.  I knew that when it was first released.  I can remember saying to myself \"I\'m too young to understand all of this now.\"  There remain some things I\'ve yet to understand.  I Just Wasn\'t Made For These Times: Brian Wilson and the Making Of Pet Sounds would be a great book to read on my upcoming vacation.

That was a very insightful conclusion for one so young and it was also very honest of you. Sometimes Pet Sounds reminds of the old Emperor\'s New Clothes fable - are some people afraid to admit that they don\'t like it, in fear of being frowned upon by their peers? Personally speaking, I don\'t think this album is as good as it thinks it is, which you may think is strange when I tell you it\'s one of my favorite albums. I don\'t believe hype, I listen to music on its merits, i.e. through my own ears.

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #107 on: July 12, 2007, 12:02:05 AM »

I like sticking to biographies when it comes to the beatles.... I don't like reading books that analyze every song...beatle music is to be enjoyed not to be broken down and studied....it doesn't seem important how they were written...all you need is to listen to them...and what they mean to you not some author you never met to tell you what they mean....

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2007, 02:47:08 AM »

That was a very insightful conclusion for one so young and it was also very honest of you. Sometimes Pet Sounds reminds of the old Emperor's New Clothes fable - are some people afraid to admit that they don't like it, in fear of being frowned upon by their peers? Personally speaking, I don't think this album is as good as it thinks it is, which you may think is strange when I tell you it's one of my favorite albums. I don't believe hype, I listen to music on its merits, i.e. through my own ears.

Well said, Michelle.  Pet sounds was a radical departure from what we expected of the Beach Boys at the time.  But like the Beatles, they were responding to a "call of the times."  The mid-to-late 1960s was a tumultuous time worldwide and growing up during that time was a bit difficult.  One could chose to remain oblivious to what was going on or confront the problems that existed.  In retrospect, both the Beatles and the Beach Boys influenced society more than we were aware of at the time.  We absolutely could not go on listening to British Rock Invasion or domestic Surf Music indefinitely.  

For me, Rubber Soul and Pet Sounds coincided with a new level of awareness I was experiencing in coming of age.  I guess Pet Sounds was more difficult for me to understand because Brian Wilson is just so hard to figure out!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #109 on: July 12, 2007, 03:06:17 AM »

I'm not entirely sure why you're getting those backslashes when you type an apostrphe but try going to Control Panel and clicking on Keyboard and then click on the Language tab and see if it says "English (United States)" and "United States 101" under the Layout heading.  If not, select it from the drop-down menu.  I hope that helps.

The walrus

• A Beginning
« Reply #110 on: July 12, 2007, 11:32:34 AM »

Has any one read 'The Beatles' by Hunter Davies? and what you thought about it? I never read any Beatle books before and just bought this one but havn't started reading it yet.

I so want to get cynthia's Book 'John'. I was about to get his sister Julia's book but changed my mind.
&quot;We don’t like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out.&quot; <br />- Decca Recording Co. rejecting the Beatles, 1962

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #111 on: July 12, 2007, 03:17:56 PM »

I began to read Hunter Davies a long time ago but put it down..It seemed to be a safe, official biography of the band written in it's time. That just did not appeal to me. Now I am a sucker for books about the people that worked with them and their recording techniques.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #112 on: July 12, 2007, 09:15:28 PM »

I read it a long time ago when it was the only bio available.  You should definitely read it to see what the authorized biography was all about and how it compares to more recent publications.

Michelle Revolution

• A Beginning
« Reply #113 on: July 12, 2007, 10:27:08 PM »

Quote from: 59
I\'m not entirely sure why you\'re getting those backslashes when you type an apostrphe but try going to Control Panel and clicking on Keyboard and then click on the Language tab and see if it says \"English (United States)\" and \"United States 101\" under the Layout heading.  If not, select it from the drop-down menu.  I hope that helps.

OK, I\'ve done that - let\'s see if that\'s fixed thing...

Michelle Revolution

• A Beginning
« Reply #114 on: July 12, 2007, 10:28:08 PM »

OK, I\'ve done that - let\'s see if that\'s fixed thing...

Oh sh*t, thanks anyway Hello Goodbye. :)

maninthequeue

• A Beginning
  • the love you take is equal to the love you make
    • Buzzjack.com
« Reply #115 on: July 13, 2007, 12:17:30 PM »

The Rough Guide to The Beatles (2nd Edition)

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #116 on: July 13, 2007, 09:45:43 PM »

Quote from: 739
The Rough Guide to The Beatles (2nd Edition)

That's an excellant little book. i enjoyed it & it's always good to refer back to! ;)

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #117 on: July 19, 2007, 12:16:33 PM »

I
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #118 on: July 20, 2007, 02:29:35 PM »

I borrowed Richie Unterberger's 'The Unreleased Beatles' book from the libery yesterday, it's
a fun read, similar to Chrinicle by Mark Lewishon. :)

Flaming Pie in the Sky

• A Thousand Pages
    • Gone Troppo
« Reply #119 on: July 20, 2007, 02:35:12 PM »

Quote from: 551
I
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 85 queries.