Other music forums > Various Artists, Lyrics, Discographies

Melanie

(1/2) > >>

Klang:
Just had a lovely chat with the lovely Melanie. A wonderful talent and a beautiful person.

Many of us caught the same disease...

! No longer available

We talked about her appearance at Woodstock and she mentioned that a recent study of the origins of various behaviors at concerts revealed that the lighting of candles and lighters, etc., can be traced back to her performance there. It was a rainy night and Wavy Gravy and his tribe passed out thousands of candles to the crowd, which were summarily lit, leading to the inspiration for this song.

:)

KelMar:
I've always loved this spectacular song. The words, her voice, the Edwin Hawkins Singers...magical.

tkitna:
Love that song too.

Normandie:

--- Quote from: Klang on August 30, 2015, 07:35:22 PM ---Just had a lovely chat with the lovely Melanie. A wonderful talent and a beautiful person.

We talked about her appearance at Woodstock and she mentioned that a recent study of the origins of various behaviors at concerts revealed that the lighting of candles and lighters, etc., can be traced back to her performance there. It was a rainy night and Wavy Gravy and his tribe passed out thousands of candles to the crowd, which were summarily lit, leading to the inspiration for this song.

--- End quote ---

I think it's so great that you get to talk with people such as this, Jim; I'm envious. I was telling my daughters about how we'd hold lighters up at concerts. Nowadays apparently the audience holds up cell phones. That doesn't seem to have the same cachet.  :-\

Thanks for sharing that anecdote.

Klang:

Yea, it's the best thing about my job, getting to talk to some cool people from time to time. Sadly, this is going to be severely curtailed after the first of next year. The main music venue in the town I write about is closing down then. It was the one booking all these fine folks. I hope some other venue steps up to fill in the gap, but I'm not sure.

On the lighter tradition, here's a funny thing I picked up on just last night. I was watching a BBC special on Kraftwerk's residency at London's Tate Modern last year and the group's official photographer (he's only allowed to photograph their robotic counterparts, though) observed how the fusion of man and machine has arrived in the present day as concert-goers have their smartphones in the air, in lieu of those candles, etc. That tickled me.

roll:)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version