Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Is Sgt. Pepper...´ Over-Rated?  (Read 22013 times)

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Is Sgt. Pepper...´ Over-Rated?
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2013, 01:22:48 PM »

Ive always thought it a crime that these 2 songs were not on this album

Whether its overrated is entirely subjective, for me its not but for a non Beatles admirer it probably is, but thats art isnt it.

I personally dont agree that the 3 albums mentioned earlier were superior song writing wise. But again this is subjective, if Im not a Beach Boys fan Im hardly going to rave over Pet Sounds.

One thing that cant be argued is the fact that it was probably THE most important and influential pop/rock album ever
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2013, 09:20:34 PM »

I guess my post didn't make it!
What I said was... I think SFF and PL should have been included too. However... I don't have anything against WYWY or WI64. I would have rather seen SLH left off the album, nice song that it is.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2013, 09:39:00 PM »

Why leave out she's Leaving Home?

Anyway, that's how 1967 was.  The Beatles scored well with Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields Forever on the hit parade in the spring.  When we first heard the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band LP a few months later, all the songs were new and amazing.  We couldn't stop listening to the album.

But this is from the perspective of someone who lived through all this.  I appreciate and understand differing opinions from the younger members who view the LP retrospectively.
I can stay till it's time to go

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2013, 11:00:22 PM »

Anyway, that's how 1967 was.  The Beatles scored well with Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields Forever on the hit parade in the spring.  When we first heard the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band LP a few months later, all the songs were new and amazing.  We couldn't stop listening to the album.

But this is from the perspective of someone who lived through all this.  I appreciate and understand differing opinions from the younger members who view the LP retrospectively.
It's just not my favorite song. I appreciate the soap opera thing Paul did , the harmonies are fantastic but... I think WYWY and WI64 are better to listen to IMHO.
Mark Twain

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2013, 11:20:17 PM »

It's just not my favorite song. I appreciate the soap opera thing Paul did , the harmonies are fantastic but... I think WYWY and WI64 are better to listen to IMHO.

See, that's what I'm trying to say, Dave.  Individual opinions of the songs chosen for the album matter little in the noteworthiness of an album.

Anyway, have you ever noticed the difference in the MONO and STEREO versions?

The Beatles - She's Leaving Home (2009 Stereo Remaster)

The Beatles - She's Leaving Home (2009 Mono Remaster)

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2013, 11:33:05 PM »

See, that's what I'm trying to say, Dave.  Individual opinions of the songs chosen for the album matter little in the noteworthiness of an album.

The Beatles - She's Leaving Home (2009 Stereo Remaster)Oh, I agree completely! I'd even like to her Only A Northern Song in the mix. No matter what I think it's a great album. Just a what If!

The Beatles - She's Leaving Home (2009 Mono Remaster)
Mark Twain

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2013, 11:40:47 PM »

I definitely like the mono remix the best. The speeds better and the sounds much crisper.
Mark Twain

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2013, 11:48:32 PM »

The MONO version is sped up.  Just the way When I'm Sixty-Four is.

Here's When I'm Sixty-Four the way it was recorded in the key of C major...

When I'm Sixty Four original (In the key of C major)

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2013, 12:00:19 AM »

The MONO version is sped up.  Just the way When I'm Sixty-Four is.

Here's When I'm Sixty-Four the way it was recorded in the key of C major...

When I'm Sixty Four original (In the key of C major)
It's funny(to me), I've heard these two versions before and I think I like the slow WI64 better. It's more laid back and in less of a hurry as I will be when  I'm that old! I'm getting there now!
Mark Twain

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2013, 12:05:56 AM »

I have a vivid memory of my mother saying "what's happened to them?" when we first saw the video of Strawberry Fields Forever! Lol!
Mark Twain

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2013, 12:11:54 AM »

It's funny(to me), I've heard these two versions before and I think I like the slow WI64 better. It's more laid back and in less of a hurry as I will be when  I'm that old! I'm getting there now!

Right.  The song was sped up to the key of D-flat major on both the STEREO and MONO albums...

The Beatles- 09- When I'm Sixty Four (2009 Mono Remaster)

Sounds a bit like this to me...

Alvin and the Chipmunks- Christmas song[original]

;D

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2013, 12:16:08 AM »

:)
Mark Twain

KelMar

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2013, 12:43:45 AM »

That was one of the first things that really struck me when I got the mono box set. Paul's vocal just sounded strange on it. I really like this song. It hit home with me in many ways a few years ago and made me realize I had to make some changes in my life. But I'm kind of a lyrics person.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2013, 12:59:24 AM »

That was one of the first things that really struck me when I got the mono box set. Paul's vocal just sounded strange on it. I really like this song. It hit home with me in many ways a few years ago and made me realize I had to make some changes in my life. But I'm kind of a lyrics person.
I hope your not losing your hair!
Mark Twain

KelMar

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2013, 01:04:27 AM »

I hope your not losing your hair!

I was talking about "She's Leaving Home" goofy! But I did get some of it cut off today.  :P

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2013, 01:16:49 AM »

Oh, I see! I bet you look great! Must feel good in this heat!
Mark Twain

KelMar

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2013, 01:25:13 AM »

Oh, I see! I bet you look great! Must feel good in this heat!

It was only a little but it does feel better. I still look like a hippie chick, as my cousin calls me.  ;D

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2013, 01:31:17 AM »

It was only a little but it does feel better. I still look like a hippie chick, as my cousin calls me.  ;D
I like it.
Mark Twain

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2013, 04:14:01 PM »

I have heard SP described as the musical version of The Wizard of OZ when it goes from Black and white to color! Pretty cool I think!

That's a nice comparisson. Sgt. Pepper's is technology put at the service of music, the problem is when music is put at the service of technology, as it happens nowadays.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 05:05:29 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2013, 05:04:35 PM »

But I do think that Sgt. Pepper is consistent and well-written. Your last sentence sounds a bit weird to me, because I also care about song-writing a lot, yet I'd take Pepper anyday over 'Revolver' and 'Rubber Soul'. If you like the songs on the latter more than the ones on Pepper, that's fine and I can't argue with that, but I think the band's main objective in 1967 was still writing strong songs, as opposed to atmospheric pieces or conceptual links (with the sole exception of the Reprise). In fact, I think 'Rubber Soul' is the last Beatles album where the song-writing was still so-so, with tracks like 'Think For Yourself', 'Wait', 'What Goes On' and 'Run For Your Life', which are just average to me.

I think the fact that Pepper has been presented as a concept album for so long now, fools the people into thinking that the songs don't stand if taken on their own or that they wouldn't have made it on a Beatles album if not for the "we can do everything!" concept. Me, I just don't see that. I like each and every one of the songs even if taken on their own (again, bar the Reprise). With albums like 'Tommy' or 'The Wall', yes, the abovementioned complaints are true. But I think Pepper is as consistent as any Beatles album before or after it.

See, I think that Sgt. Pepper's is very consistent, even more than Rubber Soul and Revolver. In my opinion Sgt. Pepper's actually has no fillers; "When I'm Sixty-Four" is a very good track to me, for example, despite being different from the rest of the album but still nice and somehow it works. On the other hand, I think that Rubber Soul and Revolver have some few fillers: "What Goes On", "Wait", "Run For Your Life", "And Your Bird Can Sing", "Doctor Robert", I think they're far from the Beatles' best.

So consistence, in my opinion, is not a problem of Sgt. Pepper's. The problem is that consistence is not fundamentally given by songwriting but by production. If I imagine the Sgt. Pepper's songs produced in a simpler way as done in Rubber Soul, just few songs would have been special in their own way. The melodies in Sgt. Pepper's are as great as always, but most of the lyrics have nothing interesting to say; I would save the mystic words of "Within You Without You", the psychedelic landscapes of "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds", the intelligence of "With A Little Help From My Friends" and the non-sense but epic spirit of "A Day In The Life"; but most of the words can't handle a candle to "Norwegian Wood", "Nowhere Man", "In My Life", "Girl", "Eleanor Rigby", "I'm Only Sleeping", "For No One" or "Tomorrow Never Knows", just to name some examples. Sgt. Pepper's neither gives us immortal ballads such like "Michelle" or "Here, There And Everywhere", even the smart irony of songs like "Drive My Car" or "Taxman" is hard to find in Sgt. Pepper's. In fact I think that Rubber Soul and Revolver are John and Paul's peaks as songwriters, respectively, while Sgt. Pepper's is probably the peak of George Martin as producer.

At the end of the day, every opinion depends on personal tastes, but trying to be objective I would say that Sgt. Pepper's charm is superficial, rapidly easy to get, while the other two mentioned albums have a special deep spirit that requires time and several listens in order to touch the listener.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 05:13:15 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.845 seconds with 77 queries.