Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New Guitar  (Read 2236 times)

ma_tt2

• A Thousand Pages
New Guitar
« on: May 27, 2006, 01:30:59 AM »

Im going to be buying a new guitar pretty soon. I've been looking at the Gibson Les Paul's and I really like those. I dont think I want to spend much more than 600$ on a guitar. Does anyone have any idea how much the Gibson Les Paul's cost? (a few different models would be very helpful) or any other suggestions? Thanks  :)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
Re: New Guitar
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 08:41:50 PM »

Get an Epiphone Les Paul instead. They look the same and are almost as good for about half the price.

ma_tt2

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 04:06:43 AM »

How about a Gibson acoustic? What's a decent Gibson acoustic model around my price range?

RICKENBACKER325

• "Life is what happens while you busy making other plans"
  • A Thousand Pages
  • Its always been about the music !
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 06:03:56 AM »

Not much. Sadly when Gibson moved their acoustic plant to Bozeman Montana, the prices also moved, up, at that. The best place for you to buy is at a guitar show. I don't know where you are but they are all over the states. I've bought acoustics for as little as $300.00 and even seen Les Paul studio models with hard shell case's go for $450.00 and up. Pick up a copy of "Vintage Guitar" magazine search the show dates section. I'm sure you'll find what you want at a show near you.. Remember when buying a guitar, to site down the neck to make sure there are not any warps or twists or bumps in the neck or fret board. ( both acoustic and electric ) If acoustic look behind the bridge to make sure the top has not "bellied up". If electric plug it in and play it, make all the electronics work...ie  3 way switches, pick ups, tone and volume knobs are in working order. PLAY TESTING IS A MUST AND GO OVER THE GUITAR WITH A FINE TOOTH COMB! If seller is reluctant to talk to you much about the guitar or seems nervous with your questions it is probably a good idea to pass and look at something else. There might be some serious problems with that guitar and he may be wanting to dump it quickly for "Great Price" and it may not be the deal your thinking you are getting. A  $500.00  Les Paul is not a deal if you have to put  $350.00  into a neck reset. If I can help you in any way just ask.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 04:17:52 PM »

yeah rick is the man to ask to he repairs them after all....

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 02:21:57 AM »

#1--I was in your City 2 weeks ago, and went up and down 48th St. because they used to have EVERYTHING. I looked and looked for a Left-handed Fender Telecaster and I used to see everything in those shop windows. Not one, I'm one of the freakish people who plays left-handed. sh*t, I went to Sam Ash and they have a picture of Paulie with the owner, and I asked him--'You have a picture of you and Macca and don't have a left handed electric? Well Matt, my misfortune turned into something really cool. I found a site that has everything, free shipping, $50 off anything over $200, which is what yer gonna spend anyway.  I bought a beautiful left handed Fender Strat (not a Squire, mind you), a cool 30 Watt Randall amp and a Dunlop Wah pedal for $473.00.  I thought for sure I'd get jimped, but it's all cool. Here's the site:
www.activemusician.com
By the way, the order and received shipment was 5 days, and its out of Jersey.

ma_tt2

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 05:03:24 AM »

thanks a lot, Im having trouble trying to figure out what acoustic guitar to get though. I was thinking of the Epiphone EJ-200 for a bit but that only comes right handed. The funny thing about Epiphone is only to of their acoustic guitars come left handed and those 2 are the lowest end one and then the Paul McCarntey signature guitar for 4000$. So what would be a good acoustic guitar for around 600-700$?

RICKENBACKER325

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 05:18:01 AM »

Assuming your a lefty, try sinister guitars.com they are in Indiana, but the best place for lefthanded guitars (all makes and models) is Southpaw guitars.com in Texas both are legit stores not only mail order and deal in left handed guitars only. I ordered a left handed Rickenbacker 360 for a customer of mine and they are great guys to deal with and they won't rape you on price either. Worst case google search the names and get the phone numbers. I still say the guitar shows are your best bet for finding what  you want. $600.00 or $700.00 goes a long at the shows and theres no waiting or mail order mishaps.

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 10:13:46 AM »

les pauls are really nice..i have a 1975 one, but i bought it of a mate for 650 quid, so i dont know how much you'd get one for.

ma_tt2

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 03:44:56 PM »

would it be that bad if I bought a right handed guitar and just strung it left, even though the pickguard would be on the wrong side. I noticed that Paul McCartney has his pickguard on the wrong side most of the time.

RICKENBACKER325

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 09:15:13 PM »

You can do that, you just have to flip the saddle around and fill and recut the string slot in the nut. Then all should be cool. Fill the nut slots with super glue (thick kind) and baking soda and then recut to the correct string with, or just take the guitar to a repair shop near you and either have a new nut (bone is best) or old one filled and recut and a new saddle (again bone is best). The cost for new bone nut and saddle should be no more than $80.00. Still quite a bargain compared to paying a premium for a lefty axe. Check this out,  5 % of guitar players are left handed and 1% of guitars are left handed. Kind of unfair isn't?  :-/

RICKENBACKER325

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 11:14:40 PM »

So, what kind of GEETAR did you decide to go with?

ma_tt2

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 12:48:28 AM »

I ended up getting a left handed Laviree, but its in the shipping process since harldy anyone carries lefties.

Revolution

• Getting Better
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 05:54:23 AM »

I play an L.P.  Very Heavy, but the tone is Great .

Page created in 0.725 seconds with 63 queries.