Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The New President of the USA?  (Read 7023 times)

Bobber

The New President of the USA?
« on: February 29, 2012, 09:05:38 AM »

Of course, you Americans can elect whoever you want to elect.

But the man who's saying this:

In the Netherlands, people wear different bracelets if they are elderly. And the bracelet is: ‘Do not euthanize me.’ Because they have voluntary euthanasia in the Netherlands, but half of the people who are euthanized — ten percent of all deaths in the Netherlands — half of those people are enthanized involuntarily at hospitals because they are older and sick.

should not be taken serious by anybody. American or not. I wish you all good luck and a lot of wisdom.  2ch

Joost

• That Means a Lot
Re: The New President of the USA?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 09:24:48 AM »

Santorum said that, right? The Dutch government should sue the guy for slander, if that's possible.

Bobber

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 02:16:00 PM »

I really feel sorry for America. A man with such a narrow minded vision can play a big role in American politics. Scary.

KelMar

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 06:15:07 PM »

Santorum said that, right? The Dutch government should sue the guy for slander, if that's possible.

Yeah, that's who it was. I'm not very politically savvy but I do know that I wouldn't vote for him if he were running for street sweeper.

Toejam

• A Beginning
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 10:45:06 PM »

I've only seen a breif clip of him once and that was last night or the night before. He called Obama a snob. I thought it was quite funny.
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 07:49:48 AM »

I really feel sorry for America. A man with such a narrow minded vision can play a big role in American politics. Scary.

2ch

Bobber

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 10:59:02 AM »

2ch

Oh absolutely. But he won't ever be the president of the USA.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 01:02:42 PM »

<shrug> I like Rick Santorum. And he certainly wouldn't be the first politician to get his facts wrong, deliberately or no.

That said, I really don't see ANY of the potential Republican candidates beating Obama.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 01:56:38 PM »

<shrug> I like Rick Santorum. And he certainly wouldn't be the first politician to get his facts wrong, deliberately or no.
Regardless if it was a mistake or a lie, I personally think that this is pretty serious. If you want to be president, you can't publicly make such outrageous claims about allied nations without being absolutely 100% sure. Being Dutch myself, I'm offended by the fact that a serious presidential candidate tries to make his country believe that we basically execute old people against their will.

That said, I really don't see ANY of the potential Republican candidates beating Obama.
I sure hope none of them will.

KelMar

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 08:16:28 PM »

I wish I had a better grasp on politics. I mean, there's so much conflicting information flying around that I never really feel confident that I have the real story. We learned about the democratic system in school but I don't remember learning how to make an informed decision. Or maybe I was absent that day.  :)

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 08:26:13 PM »

I wish I had a better grasp on politics. I mean, there's so much conflicting information flying around that I never really feel confident that I have the real story. We learned about the democratic system in school but I don't remember learning how to make an informed decision. Or maybe I was absent that day.  :)

That's pretty much the way they want it.

:(

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 01:04:03 AM »

You are right, Joost; someone aspiring to be President has an obligation to be 100% sure of his or her facts before spouting off on a particular topic.

There seems to be a bit of a hysterical (at least, it seems hysterical to me) tone over here in the States about euthanasia in Dutch countries (did I phrase that properly?); at least, I seem to be seeing a lot of news articles about it lately, usually with an alarmist tone.

I agree with you, Kelley; there's so much information flying around that it is hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.   ;)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 07:51:21 AM »

You are right, Joost; someone aspiring to be President has an obligation to be 100% sure of his or her facts before spouting off on a particular topic.

There seems to be a bit of a hysterical (at least, it seems hysterical to me) tone over here in the States about euthanasia in Dutch countries (did I phrase that properly?); at least, I seem to be seeing a lot of news articles about it lately, usually with an alarmist tone.

For as far as I know there's just one Dutch country. ;)

I've noticed several times that conservative American politicians and media figures try to use The Netherlands as an example of the type of godless hellhole that America will turn into if they don't keep up the old christian values. We might be quite a bit more liberal about things like euthanasia, abortion, same sex marriage, soft drug use and prostitution than most countries, but believe me: we do have strics laws and regulations about all of these things, and our crime rates and life expectancy actually look quite a bit better than America's.

Bobber

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 02:28:27 PM »

Luckily he euthanized his own campaign last night.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 01:57:40 AM »

Luckily he euthanized his own campaign last night.

;)
I can stay till it's time to go

Page created in 0.551 seconds with 63 queries.