Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: The New Mark Lewisohn Books  (Read 71185 times)

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
Re: The New Mark Lewisohn Books
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2013, 12:27:19 AM »

I'm still waiting for my hard copy.  >:(  Maybe it's time to rethink my devotion to print.

I love the Kindle version!  I read it in bed on the Kindle Fire HD, at lunch at work on my phone, and when I goof off at work on my PC.
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

KelMar

« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2013, 03:34:12 PM »

Maybe it's time to rethink my devotion to print.

Oh no..don't defect! We bibliophiles have to stick together.  ;)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2013, 12:00:33 AM »

I won't defect; promise, Kelley! I am firmly in the print-will-never-die camp.  :)

KelMar

« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2013, 12:49:48 AM »

I won't defect; promise, Kelley! I am firmly in the print-will-never-die camp.  :)

That's a relief Kathy!

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2013, 01:09:09 AM »

You might need a handtruck to cart it around.
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

KelMar

« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2013, 01:24:29 AM »

Are you enjoying it? Is it worth the physical effort? LOL

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2013, 01:01:32 PM »

I meant to comment on that last night. The book is so big that I can definitely see where an e-reader would be preferable in this
case.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2013, 08:51:15 PM »

I apologize for getting a bit off topic here, but a friend just sent me this French advertisement about paper vs. electronics, and it seemed to dovetail nicely with the last few comments: 

http://www.youtube.com/embed/V_gOZDWQj3Q?rel=0

;D

KelMar

« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2013, 04:41:05 AM »

I apologize for getting a bit off topic here, but a friend just sent me this French advertisement about paper vs. electronics, and it seemed to dovetail nicely with the last few comments: 

http://www.youtube.com/embed/V_gOZDWQj3Q?rel=0

;D

I love it...and Emma too! I wonder if it would be an appropriate thing to post on the library Facebook page? LOL

Sir John Johns

• A Beginning
« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2013, 03:56:24 AM »

My copy of the deluxe version arrived. I maybe gone some time.

Even split into two volumes, it's very unwieldy.

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2013, 08:27:16 AM »

Got this from the local library today! It's actually only 840 pages to read as the rest is appendices, index, acknowledgements, etc.

The photos have a few famous ones and some I've never seen. While I mightn't learn anythig  startlingly new about the boys, it's always good to read someone's take on things. And Mark has  the cred!

KelMar

« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2013, 06:44:27 PM »

Got this from the local library today! It's actually only 840 pages to read as the rest is appendices, index, acknowledgements, etc.

I bet you'll have to renew that a few times!

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2013, 07:31:27 PM »

I bet you'll have to renew that a few times!

I'm a fast reader bro! And you get 2 weeks then another 2 unless the book is on hold, lol.

KelMar

« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2013, 03:57:53 AM »

I'm a fast reader bro! And you get 2 weeks then another 2 unless the book is on hold, lol.

At the library where I work it's four weeks and then another four. I'm glad you're supporting your library.  ;)

Bobber

« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2013, 10:35:27 AM »

Ordered the big one today. I got some spare time during Christmas.

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2013, 02:36:59 AM »

Nearly 500 pages in and this book is wonderful!

It will be probably be the most interesting of the 3 volumes as the next 2 will cover more of the Beatles music that is known and loved by the world. In Tune In, a lot of the story is about them and their coming of age and growing up. While the music is important, at that stage it's all covers of the songs of the time, and obscure stuff too, a lot of which I have never heard before. The next 2 will be all them as the Beatles.

Does that make sense?  Have learned some new stuff too. I wasn't sure if I knew that Nell was the father of Pete Best's baby brother with Mona? Lol, I may have read it years back but didn't recall it. My wife thought that was gross when I explained the age difference and the situation.

Loving the Cavern times - the fans were great. It must've been unreal seeing and hearing the boys in those conditions, lol

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2013, 07:58:32 PM »

Although I've got the book, I haven't taken the plunge yet. I think I'll start it in the new year.
Completely agree with the idea that it's this volume which will be the most interesting.
To me, The Beatles have always been a 50s 'and' 60s group, and it's that era (including the 50s) that saw the peak of popular music.
The best bit of the Anthology series were the first volume and the demos/acoustic numbers on Volume 3.
I didn't find the stuff from the Rubber Soul to Sgt. Pepper's era (Volume 2) nearly as interesting.

Fact and Fiction 60-62

• A Beginning
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2013, 09:45:23 PM »

Have learned some new stuff too. I wasn't sure if I knew that Nell was the father of Pete Best's baby brother with Mona? Lol, I may have read it years back but didn't recall it. My wife thought that was gross when I explained the age difference and the situation.

Yes, you're right Stevie, that was already mentioned in chapter 4 of the 2009 book Fact and Fiction 1960-1962, which is called : "The sacking of Pete Best". There is a complete explanation of the situation pages 265-266. And the paragraph concludes page 266 that :"What Bob Smeaton does not specify is that, if Neil Aspinall showed so much consideration for his old friend [Pete], it was because there was a second good reason to do so, this time for family reasons : Neil was the father of Roag, Pete Best's stepbrother, born on 21 july 1962".

Thanks !  ;)

All the best,

Eric
Author of The Beatles : Fact and Fiction 1960-1962, Séguier/Atlantica, October 2009 (English version of the 2003 French book Les Beatles : Enquête sur un Mythe 1960-1962) and co-author w/ J.C. Hocquet of La France et les Beatles – Vol. 1 : La discographie originale, Séguier/Atlantica, July 2005.

Bobber

« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2013, 08:38:12 AM »

No mention of Paul McCartney on that particular picture.

nimrod

« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2014, 01:05:55 AM »

Nearly 500 pages in and this book is wonderful!

It will be probably be the most interesting of the 3 volumes as the next 2 will cover more of the Beatles music that is known and loved by the world. In Tune In, a lot of the story is about them and their coming of age and growing up. While the music is important, at that stage it's all covers of the songs of the time, and obscure stuff too, a lot of which I have never heard before. The next 2 will be all them as the Beatles.

Does that make sense?  Have learned some new stuff too. I wasn't sure if I knew that Nell was the father of Pete Best's baby brother with Mona? Lol, I may have read it years back but didn't recall it. My wife thought that was gross when I explained the age difference and the situation.

Loving the Cavern times - the fans were great. It must've been unreal seeing and hearing the boys in those conditions, lol

Im hooked on this, Im not as far in as you , up to where manager Nigel sacks Eric (did I get that right ?) as he is told its his job :P
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Page created in 0.658 seconds with 75 queries.