Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: The New Mark Lewisohn Books  (Read 71179 times)

KelMar

Re: The New Mark Lewisohn Books
« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2014, 04:59:40 AM »

Im hooked on this, Im not as far in as you , up to where manager Nigel sacks Eric (did I get that right ?) as he is told its his job :P

I'd better get this book; I don't know who Nigel or Eric are!

nimrod

« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2014, 09:13:41 AM »

I'd better get this book; I don't know who Nigel or Eric are!

haha
Eric Griffith was a guitarist in the Quarrymen and Nigel Whalley was their manager (of sorts) Kelley

I downloaded it, its great !!

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2014, 08:24:57 AM »

haha
Eric Griffith was a guitarist in the Quarrymen and Nigel Whalley was their manager (of sorts) Kelley

I downloaded it, its great !!

Just started reading it today. Hard to put it down. Man. Poor old Ringo had a particularly tough childhood.

Bobber

« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2014, 09:48:01 AM »

Yeah, I'm reading as well. I really loved the insight on the Beatles' family roots. Great stuff so far. I'm reading it in English so it might take a while. I hope the release of the next episode will take a while.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2014, 10:07:39 AM »

It's great reading about the machinations of The Beatles finally signing with Parlaphone. And the motivation of getting the publishing rights to the original songs. I hadn't heard that angle before.

Interesting too how clearly the bias against the regions on the part of London seemed to be a key cause in the reluctance to sign the Beatles. Class consciousness cost several companies a lot of money.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2014, 08:41:00 AM »

Just started reading it today.

Damn finished it. Trouble reading on a kindle is it says your 60% through. And then it ends. With the pictures, notes and index taking up the rest.

Terrific read.  Pity it'll be years for the follow up.

nimrod

« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2014, 11:34:56 PM »

I never knew about the bullying that went down, like on the Scottish tour with Johnny Gentle, Paul & George were bullying Stu (George physically) and John was mentally terrorizing Tommy Moore

Sounds like a complete shambles of a tour though.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2014, 12:10:36 AM »

I never knew about the bullying that went down, like on the Scottish tour with Johnny Gentle, Paul & George were bullying Stu (George physically) and John was mentally terrorizing Tommy Moore

Sounds like a complete shambles of a tour though.

It sounded pretty cruel bullying on Johns part too. Especially after the poor guy had a car accident. You really needed to have a thick skin to hang around with Johnny.

It did sound an awful tour. I note George says in Anthology  that they were an embarrassment.

Brynjar

• Getting Better
« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2014, 03:27:46 PM »

Damn, the Extended Special Edition is no longer available on amazon.co.uk.   :-[ It has been in my basket for such a long time and I was gonna buy it today. Hopefully it will be back soon. 
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

Brynjar

• Getting Better
« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2014, 03:30:52 PM »

..by the way.. is the Extended Special Edition really worth it - or should I just buy the other version? What is the real difference?
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2014, 09:43:19 PM »

..by the way.. is the Extended Special Edition really worth it - or should I just buy the other version? What is the real difference?

I saw the extended edition only after buying the standard. The extended was I think more than twice as much on the Kindle, so even if I'd seen it I'd have thought twice about it.

Brynjar

• Getting Better
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2014, 06:54:51 PM »

:'(

nimrod

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #93 on: February 02, 2014, 12:35:09 AM »

Damn, the Extended Special Edition is no longer available on amazon.co.uk.   :-[ It has been in my basket for such a long time and I was gonna buy it today. Hopefully it will be back soon. 

:'(

I wouldn't fret over this, Brynjar.  The single volume edition is more than sufficient.

I suspect that the double volume print edition was planned as a limited run collector's item.  There's always the secondary market if you feel you need to have it.
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: February 02, 2014, 12:44:30 AM »

This bloke thinks its all very boring

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/event/article-2452115/Craig-Brown-reviews-new-Beatles-book-The-Fab-snore.html

I like the line "Lewisohn even includes everything he has failed to find out."  And that was in reference to the single volume edition!

I'm content with the US print edition Vol. 1 book I purchased.  I'm wondering if I'll even be around for Vol. 3  Hey, I'm even wondering if Lewisohn will be around for Vol. 3!   ;D

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #95 on: February 02, 2014, 02:48:34 AM »

I like the line "Lewisohn even includes everything he has failed to find out."  And that was in reference to the single volume edition!

I'm content with the US print edition Vol. 1 book I purchased.  I'm wondering if I'll even be around for Vol. 3  Hey, I'm even wondering if Lewisohn will be around for Vol. 3!   ;D

The special extended edition still seems to be available on Kindle. Whether they withdraw it now that the hard copy is dold out remains to be seen. The price difference is worse than I thought though. On kindle its sold in two parts for $39 each. So you're out $78. Whereas I bought the normal volume one for $21.70.

It seems to be considerably longer. The page length for the normal is 961. For the extended they have it as 1728. Almost another book. There's more pictures in the extended as well.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: February 02, 2014, 03:10:12 AM »

The special extended edition still seems to be available on Kindle. Whether they withdraw it now that the hard copy is dold out remains to be seen. The price difference is worse than I thought though. On kindle its sold in two parts for $39 each. So you're out $78. Whereas I bought the normal volume one for $21.70.

It seems to be considerably longer. The page length for the normal is 961. For the extended they have it as 1728. Almost another book. There's more pictures in the extended as well.

I don't think they'll withdraw the Kindle version, Moog.  People will continue buying it and there are no further production costs associated with it.  I also feel that another printing of the two-volume edition will be made available if there is enough clamor for it as the set wasn't released in the US.  They'll probably increase the price on it too.  This is, after all, a 50th anniversary year.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #97 on: February 02, 2014, 03:43:30 AM »

This bloke thinks its all very boring

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/event/article-2452115/Craig-Brown-reviews-new-Beatles-book-The-Fab-snore.html

He's got a point about the extreme detail Lewisohn goes into. Just for me the positive of the overall picture it builds up makes the detail worth it. Now whether I'd be wanting the extra few hundred pages of it in the extended version is much more debateable

Bobber

« Reply #98 on: February 02, 2014, 07:17:28 PM »

I love the extreme details. It cannot be detailed enough for me. That's exactly why I got the extended version. And still reading.

KelMar

« Reply #99 on: February 02, 2014, 09:14:12 PM »

I love the extreme details. It cannot be detailed enough for me. That's exactly why I got the extended version. And still reading.

You'll be an expert-texpert by the time you finish.  :)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Page created in 0.721 seconds with 77 queries.