Microscope: McCartney II

<< < (3/6) > >>

Ovi:
I found an interview from '80 in which Paul talks about the album :

Paul McCartney Interview (1980) Part1

Paul McCartney Interview (1980) Part2

Yeshelloitsmehereagain:
Coming Up
Funky guitar, funny vocal effect, strange bass sound. Brass parps are appreciated. Around 1:50 the bass does this building thing, it's very good. The lyrics are incredibly positive. Tempo change into the coda, tamborine is there then it's not, gets a touch relentless towards the end and then that's a great finnish. Overall a groovy, refreshing song. Unlike anything we'd heard from Paul before, I'm in full favour of this track.

Temporary Secretary
I like the synth loop. The drums are different to me but they fit. Love the downward bit during the "Neurosurgeon" part. It's kind of a dark track to me. Paul going "Woooa" towards the end works. A bit throwaway but it's a catcht tune, left me feeling like I need a "Temporary Secretary" (I have the time to do this so I probably do).

On The Way
Nice guitar intro... I dig the effect on his voice. Bass is a bit diffident. It's a song to drive to. The drums are nothing special but they are unfussy. 1:45 the break is nice, 1:57 the break is very nice, it's a groove. Guitar tracing the vocal is good, nice "Oooo" in there also. Bass is good at the end.

Waterfalls
Beautiful. The organ is haunting, melody is something else. Nice acoustic break. Around 1:30 another synth comes in which builds it. "Don't go chasing Polar Bears, In the great unknown, Some big friendly Polar Bear might want to take you home..." Portentious lyrics there. 2:50 extra effect on vocal is good, like the tracking on the "Motorcars" verse. A very nice tune, the end is good also.

Nobody Knows
But what exactly? He cannot tell me, nobody knows... Nice vocal. I like the breakdown around 2:00, nice percussion, a bit filler.

Front Parlour
The same melody from the previous tune I swear. Sounds so happy somehow. It's good fun. There's a synth in there that sounds like a frog on a ring modulator. Nice refrain. It makes me smile. 2:38 there's a good build-up, 3:00 another build. Very good, then it runs out of steam. A good nonsense.

Summers' Day Song
Why does the intro sound Soviet to me? What a melody. ONe of Macca's best stoned moments, the slight words are good, it's a poem really. A fine example of the synthesiser. 1:47-2:22 is incredible, delicious. The tracking on the repeat verse is exceptional. Another good ending.

Frozen Jap
Definate Jap sound. I think it needs a vocal (not faux Japanese either). Drum machne is too much here. I'm waiting for it to end actually... it's gone past the 3:00 mark... 3:39 it ends. Thankyou. Passer.

Bogey Music
Silly. I dislike the out of time echo. Nice guitar throughout mind. Out of time claps in the left channel, bass picks up around 1:50. 2:16 Bass is good. 2:30, OK you can stop now. Another minute and after Paul calls me a "sucker" it stops. Passer.

Darkroom
This is better, inviting, funky bass around 40 seconds, great tracey bit. It grooves. Tempo picks up, that's better. This is crazy. 2:08 is great. It stops, it was just getting good.

One Of These Days
Inspired by Krishna. Nice sentiment, I like the tracking and echo. Is that Linda around the 58 mark? It's an elegy, nice shimmer of guitar at 2:20. I like the tone on the ever after. A nice song, nothing special, just nice.

A rather large departure from anything Paul had released before, it's compelling, one that also works best as an album in it's entire form. It's an interesting curio but it's not bad. Bonus tracks to follow...

nimrod:
I dont have this album so cant comment.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar:
Can't wait for the microscopes of John's albums, but there's still a long way to go with Paul's...

tkitna:

--- Quote from: nimrod on June 15, 2012, 01:07:39 AM ---I dont have this album so cant comment.

--- End quote ---

Your not missing anything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version