Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Back to the Egg really Back to the Egg?  (Read 1079 times)

Wordno

• Getting Better
  • Fortune favors the bold
Back to the Egg really Back to the Egg?
« on: September 22, 2008, 03:45:36 PM »

I've always heard that with this album Paul wanted to go back to the basics and make a raw rock and roll album. That idea still holds true today when people think of Back to the Egg. But to me, Back to the Egg doesn't have a raw rock and roll sound. My idea of a Raw rock and roll album would to produce it like he did with Wildlife. That was a raw rock and roll album even if most don't think so. But Back to the Egg is too nice and clean to be considered what Paul wanted to consider it. The only songs that really have a rock sound are Old Siam Sir, Spin it on and So Glad To See you here.  The rest are Paul's usual sound which sometimes isn't rock. If you compare Wings tour of America in 1976 which the bulk of the setlist was Venus and Mars to Wings Tour of England 1979 which most of the setlist was Back to the Egg, most would come to the conclusion that the 1976 tour had more of a rock edge to it. It should kinda have been the other way around since Back to the Egg is Wings 'Rock' album. So my question to you all is, Is Back to the Egg really Back to the Egg?

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
Re: Back to the Egg really Back to the Egg?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 04:22:35 PM »

I think Paul was just trying to catch up with- or respond to- the musical tides of the time. "Getting Closer" and "So Glad To See You Here" sound like period power pop , and "Arrow Through Me" and "Goodnight Tonight" are not bad soul and disco-influenced singles. I think it's a derivative, but still pretty good record, apart from "After The Ball/Million Miles" and "Winter Rose/Love Awake," which are half finished fragments stuck together and buried on side two.  :)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 01:50:10 AM »

Quote from: 403
My idea of a Raw rock and roll album would to produce it like he did with Wildlife.

Well, he didnt want it to suck.

If Paul said he was going back to basics with BTTE, he lied. Theres a bunch of different styles on that record and the production was good. I think his voice sounds awesome on it too.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 03:07:45 AM »

It's a good album, but I don't think of it as being back to basics or anything. It's very of its time. Very '70s.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 09:10:44 AM »

Old Siam Sir , Rocks (dance)

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 07:23:07 PM »

^ agreed! Love Juber's guitar riff on it.

Bobber

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 07:01:07 AM »

Back To The Egg has always been one of my favourites. Like Todd said, Paul's voice is in great shape and there's some great songs on the album. Still discovering new things every now and then.

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 55 queries.