Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Song Of The Week - Any Time At All  (Read 11399 times)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Song Of The Week - Any Time At All
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2015, 05:50:01 AM »

I'd never thought of that resemblance of the Anytime At All and Here Comes the Sun instrumental breaks.  They do sound similar.

And they both contain a little reprise of the "I can't hide" lines from "I Want To Hold Your Hand". :)
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2015, 05:59:26 AM »

The instrumental...

1905 Steinway Vertegrand Upright

1963 Rickenbacker 360/12 Fireglo

I can stay till it's time to go

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2015, 04:32:58 PM »

Never knew they hadn't played it live.

Brilliant song, but then side two of 'A Hard Day's Night' is a personal favourite.

The Beatles Monthly Poll of 1983 had it in the healthy position of equal 83rd (with 'Good Morning Good Morning') gathering 121 votes.

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2015, 12:39:09 AM »

I see it very similar to You Can't Do That. Guitar sounds quite samey.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2015, 01:52:22 AM »

In the USA we got it later on "Something New".

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=JN.Lq2GIvvEERjSXuVKC3QLiA&pid=15.1&P=0

Also, the mono version has I Cry Instead with the extra verse.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2015, 08:26:35 AM »

Yep, I picked up the 'Something New' LP on CD a couple of months ago.
It's so weird hearing the songs in a different order and the extra verse in 'I'll Cry Instead', the norm for a U.S. fan, is like hearing a completely different song to a Brit!

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2015, 02:20:13 PM »

Yeah, on both AHDN and Help we got the film scores too which gave capitol a perfect opportunity to issue another album. I always liked the longer version of I Cry Instead. It is weird though! Same for me on With The Beatles and Meet The Beatles. I prefer Meet The Beatles with only one cover. The other seems not quite right to me. Lol!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2015, 01:01:36 AM »

I love the elevator music part, the increasing pulse really fits IMO.  Would love to hear what you had in mind, one of those things that is hard to imagine because what it really is happens to be so embedded in our minds.

I always imagined a stomping guitar solo in the same vain as "lies" by the Knickerbockers to really knock the song out of the park instead of the weak, sugar coated middle we received. 

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2015, 07:55:22 PM »

Dcazz, funny you should mention the soundtracks because the Brits didn't get any of the incidental music to those films.
I plan to pick up the U.S. versions on CD next week precisely because of that fact (filling in the gaps).
I've always thought that a proper Magical Mystery Tour soundtrack would make a great CD.

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2015, 09:40:28 PM »

Dcazz, funny you should mention the soundtracks because the Brits didn't get any of the incidental music to those films.
I plan to pick up the U.S. versions on CD next week precisely because of that fact (filling in the gaps).
I've always thought that a proper Magical Mystery Tour soundtrack would make a great CD.

oldbrownshoe, get The Capitol CD Box sets Vol 1 & Vol 2 from 2004-2006 to really hear the true dexterized US versions like they came out on LP.  You will not hear that on the 2014 US CD set. Very disappointing.

Unfortunately they never released a Vol 3 that would have included "Revolver", "Yesterday & Today", "MMT" & "Hey Jude" LPs on CD.

P.S. Those Capitol box sets also include both stereo & mono versions on each CD.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 09:49:35 PM by Bingo Bongo »
Beatles music gives me Eargasms

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2015, 08:13:14 PM »

I do love "Any Time At All". It perfectly combines the loud, joyous immediacy and the fragile romanticism which together hallmarked the whole Hard Day's Night experience in one sparkling two minute offering. One of their most pugnacious, "in your face" recordings, brimming with energy and melody....why they never performed it live is a mystery; it's one of the best tracks off one of their best albums. I can't recall ever hearing it on the radio either.... I think it's stood the test of time well by avoiding overexposure. Very Beatley without being over familiar....if you had to play a track to a newcomer to The Beatles which encapsulated all that was fresh and wonderful about the 1964 moptops, you could hardly do better than this. FAB!!

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2015, 01:15:09 AM »

I remember as a kid skipping all the soundtracks! We couldn't stand them. Probably added to the scratches!
Mark Twain
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.489 seconds with 68 queries.