Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Polanski Arrested...Atkins Dies  (Read 11135 times)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
Polanski Arrested...Atkins Dies
« on: September 27, 2009, 04:59:27 PM »

Two interesting stories tied together in more than one way. The Polanski story will probably turn into a circus. So, what do we all think?

Roman Polanski arrested in Switzerland for 1977 teen sex case
From the Associated Press

September 27, 2009 | 8:05 a.m.

Director Roman Polanski was arrested by Swiss police as he flew in for the Zurich Film Festival and faces possible extradition to the United States for having sex in 1977 with a 13-year-old girl, authorities said today.

Polanski was scheduled to receive an honorary award at the festival when he was apprehended Saturday at the airport, the Swiss Justice Ministry said in a statement. It said U.S. authorities have sought the arrest of the 76-year-old director around the world since 2005.

"There was a valid arrest request and we knew when he was coming," ministry spokesman Guido Balmer told The Associated Press. "That's why he was taken into custody."

Balmer said the U.S. would now have to make a formal extradition request.

Polanski fled the U.S. in 1978, a year after pleading guilty to unlawful sexual intercourse with the underage girl. The director of such classic films as "Chinatown" and "Rosemary's Baby" has asked a U.S. appeals court in California to overturn a judges' refusal to throw out his case. He claims misconduct by the now-deceased judge who had arranged a plea bargain and then reneged on it.

Superior Court Judge Peter Espinoza had dismissed his bid to throw out the case because the director failed to appear in court to press his request.

The Swiss statement said Polanski was in "provisional detention for extradition," but added he would not be transferred to U.S. authorities until all proceedings are completed. Polanski can contest his detention and any extradition decision in the Swiss courts, it said.

Polanski has lived for the past three decades in France, where his career has continued to flourish, and he received a directing Oscar in absentia for the 2002 movie "The Pianist." He is married to French actress Emanuelle Seigner, with whom he has two children.

Polanski has not been extradited from France because his crime reportedly was not covered under treaties between the United States and France.

He has avoided traveling to countries likely to extradite him. For instance, he testified by video link from Paris in a 2005 libel trial in London against Vanity Fair magazine. He did not want to enter Britain for fear of being arrested.

In Paris, Culture Minister Frederic Mitterrand said he was "dumbfounded" by Polanski's arrest, adding that he "strongly regrets that a new ordeal is being inflicted on someone who has already experienced so many of them."

Those comments referred to the fact that Polanski, a native of France who was taken to Poland by his parents, escaped Krakow's Jewish ghetto as a child and lived off the charity of strangers. His mother died at the Auschwitz Nazi death camp.

Mitterrand's ministry said today that he was in contact with French President Nicolas Sarkozy "who is following the case with great attention and shares the minister's hope that the situation can be quickly resolved."

Polanski worked his way into filmmaking in Poland, gaining an Oscar nomination for best foreign-language film in 1964 for his "Knife in the Water." Offered entry to Hollywood, he directed the classic "Rosemary's Baby" in 1968.

But his life was shattered again in 1969 when his wife, actress Sharon Tate, and four other people were gruesomely murdered by followers of Charles Manson. She was eight months pregnant.

He went on to make another American classic, "Chinatown," released in 1974.

In 1977, he was accused of raping the teenager while photographing her during a modeling session. The girl said Polanski plied her with champagne and part of a Quaalude pill at Jack Nicholson's house while the actor was away. She said that, despite her protests, he performed oral sex, intercourse and sodomy on her.

Polanski was allowed to plead guilty to one of six charges, unlawful sexual intercourse, and was sent to prison for 42 days of evaluation.

Lawyers agreed that would be his full sentence, but the judge tried to renege on the plea bargain. Aware the judge would sentence him to more prison time and require his voluntary deportation, Polanski fled to France.

The victim, Samantha Geimer, who long ago identified herself publicly, has joined in Polanski's bid for dismissal, saying she wants the case to be over. She sued Polanski and reached an undisclosed settlement.

Zurich Film Festival organizers said Polanski's detention had caused "shock and dismay," but said they would go ahead with today's planned retrospective of the director's work.

The Swiss Directors Association sharply criticized authorities for what it deemed "not only a grotesque farce of justice, but also an immense cultural scandal."

Ex-Manson follower Susan Atkins dies

(CNN)  -- Susan Denise Atkins, a former member of the Manson family who killed pregnant actress Sharon Tate during a two-day killing spree in 1969, has died, according to a California corrections spokesman. She was 61.
Susan Atkins, here with husband James Whitehouse, died Thursday night after a battle with brain cancer.

Susan Atkins, here with husband James Whitehouse, died Thursday night after a battle with brain cancer.

Atkins died at 11:46 p.m. PT Thursday (2:46 a.m. Friday ET) at the Central California Women's Facility in Chowchilla, said Terry Thornton with the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.

Atkins, California's longest-serving female inmate, was suffering from terminal brain cancer. Since she entered prison in 1971, she became a born-again Christian who worked to help at-risk youth, victims of violent crimes and homeless children, among others, according to a Web site maintained by her attorney and husband, James Whitehouse.

But Atkins was best known for her actions in 1969 when as a 21-year-old she and other Manson family members participated in seven murders over two days, a rampage that terrorized Los Angeles.

By her own admission, Atkins held Tate, who was the eight months' pregnant, down as the 26-year-old actress pleaded for mercy, stabbing her 16 times. In a 1993 parole board hearing, Atkins said Tate "asked me to let her baby live. ... I told her I didn't have any mercy on her."

After stabbing Tate to death, Atkins -- known in the family as Sadie Mae Glutz -- scrawled the word "pig" in blood on the door of the home Tate shared with her husband, director Roman Polanski, according to historical accounts of the murders.

Polanski was not home at the time, but three of Tate's houseguests -- Abigail Folger, Jay Sebring and Voytek Frykowski -- were killed. Also slain was teenager Steven Parent, who was visiting the home's caretaker in his cottage out back.
Don't Miss

* Ex-Manson family member denied parole
    * 'Squeaky' Fromme released from prison
    * Manson's lasting legacy: 'Live freaky, die freaky'
    * Key players in Manson saga

All of those involved -- Manson, Atkins, Leslie Van Houten, Patricia Krenwinkel and Charles "Tex" Watson -- were convicted in connection with the five deaths that night and the killings of Leno and Rosemary LaBianca the following night. Atkins also was convicted in the earlier murder of music teacher Gary Hinman.

They were all sentenced to death. But their sentences were automatically commuted to life in prison when the U.S. Supreme Court struck down the nation's death penalty laws in 1972.

Atkins' brain cancer was diagnosed in March 2008, Whitehouse wrote on his Web site. On May 15, 2008, doctors predicted she would live less than six months. But she passed that deadline, he wrote, and celebrated her 21st wedding anniversary on December 7.

In July 2008, Atkins requested a "compassionate release" from the California Board of Parole Hearings. It was denied by unanimous decision. Her request was opposed by Tate's sister, Debra, Los Angeles County prosecutors and California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, among others.

On September 2, a panel from the Board of Parole Hearings denied Atkins' suitability for parole in a hearing, her 13th. Atkins' hospital bed was wheeled into the hearing room for the proceeding, and she appeared to sleep through much of it. For her statement, her husband helped her deliver the 23rd Psalm. She spoke in a high, cracked voice.

During the roughly six-hour-long hearing, Debra Tate asked the board commissioners not to free Atkins.

"There has never been any hate in my heart for these people," she said. "I am incapable of hating. I commend them -- always have commended them -- for their good deeds that they have managed to accomplish within the walls of confinement. However, I do believe that the death of my sister, my nephew -- which would be turning 40 years old right now, this week -- is not an irrelevant cause."

Atkins was described as a model prisoner who accepted responsibility for her crime, but Tate said Atkins had never offered her an apology.

Sebring's nephew, Anthony DiMaria, also spoke at the parole suitability hearing. "I feel genuine compassion for Ms. Atkins as she deals with this disease," he told parole commissioners, "but in no way should an illness dealt by fate mitigate punishment for crimes of this magnitude."

Atkins was housed in the California Institution for Women at Frontera until May 2008 when her declining health prompted a move to Central California Women's Facility. On his Web site, Whitehouse wrote that as of spring 2009, Atkins was paralyzed over 85 percent of her body and could not sit up in bed or even be moved into a wheelchair.

Like most of the other former Manson family members, Atkins shunned Manson during her incarceration. "He is a liar, a con artist, a physical abuser of women and children, a psychological and emotional abuser of human beings, a thief, a dope pusher, a kidnaper, a child stealer, a pimp, a rapist and a child molester," she wrote in a manuscript posted on her Web site.

"I can attest to all of these things with my own eyes. And he was all of these things before he was a murderer."

Atkins gave birth to a son while living at Spahn Ranch, an old movie set, with other members of the Manson family. While she was on death row, she wrote, he was legally taken from her because no one in her family was willing to raise him.

"His name and identity have been changed and sealed, so I have no idea where he is or how he is doing," she wrote. "I have since been told his name was changed to Paul, and whether or not that is true I like it. ... My continuing separation from my son, even after all these years, remains an incredibly poignant and enduring loss."

Ironically, Sharon Tate planned to name her unborn son Paul. The gravestone bears the inscription Paul Richard Polanski.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Polanski Arrested...Atkins Dies
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 06:33:24 PM »

No statute of limitations for statutory rape, I guess?

I don't have a problem with Polanski paying the piper. What I wonder about is all the high society hoi polloi Europeans who have to this day been very happy to bask in his glory, attend his awards ceremonies, and invite him to their dinner parties for sparkling and witty conversation, despite his guilty plea that he had sex with a 13-year old girl, and his fugitive status. Are they morally reprehensible, or is that OK?

And Susan Atkins didn't get out in time to die, unlike the Lockerbie bomber. See how life sucks when you don't have oil connections?

Signed,

Cynical in SATX
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

emmi_luvs_beatles

• A Thousand Pages
  • I'm an Expert.
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 11:16:29 PM »

I heard this story on CNN this morning. The whole Polanski thing btw. What me and my parents conteplated is, for one thing. Why was there a 13 year old girl at a party with drinking and most likely drugs. And the guy was prolly high or wasted, buzzed at least. So he prolly didn't know what he was doing. Even though he should be charged, he most likely wasn't dumb enough to purposly thow his career away. That is my honest opinion!  :)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 08:29:44 AM »

No statute of limitations for statutory rape, I guess?

I think he plea bargained to Sex With a Minor.
Bill Wyman did the same thing on a regular basis and wasn't even charged. The whole thing was treated asc a bit of a joke. Garry Gliiter on the other hand has been publically isolated. Maybe it has a lot to do with whatever stance the press choses to take.
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 09:04:30 AM »

^ There do seem to be some double standards doing the rounds. Wyman was indeed thought of as a bit of a joke. I don't remember too many people being outraged at the time. Did he argue that he didn't know how old she was? I think Glitter just tried to deny that he'd done anything wrong, but not that he'd actually done it. People seem to have forgiven Polanski over time, though it's no less an offence.

The power of the press my friend!

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 12:12:38 PM »

Please help me to understand this - Are you guys saying Bill Wyman had sex with 13-ish year old girls on a regular basis, "and it was thought of as a bit of a joke"? Not a crime in the UK? What was the parents' reaction? What happened to the little girls?

If that's true, I bet Pete Townsend was a little miffed that he got nabbed for looking at the pictures, while Bill Wyman got away with "In The Flesh". Did mores (and laws?) change between the 60's and 70's (when Wyman was "active"?) and when Pete was doing his "research"?
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 12:29:57 PM »

Bill had an affair with a thirteen year old (Mandy Smith). This was with the consent of her mother. Wyman later married her. Of course it was a crime, but no one pressed charges.
Her age was common knowledge. Clapton famously "joked" that he had suits older than her.
This was in the eighties. The general mood in the press was that Wyman was a bit of a lad for it all. I'm not sure the reception would be the same now. Mores and values have most definately changed.
But hey, when Jerry Lee Lewis tried to tour England in 1958 accompanied by his thirteen year old wife (and cousin) who he'd married in the good ol' US of A he was run out of the country.
Go figure.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 12:33:25 PM by Kevin »
don't follow leaders

The Swine

• Getting Better
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 12:40:16 PM »

13 year old girls can be quite big
THE INTERNET IS NOT A PLACE FOR 13 YEAR OLDS

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 12:47:15 PM »

Now that I think of it, I think Chuck Berry served a bit of time at Leavenworth (Federal maximum security prison) for breaking the Mann Act (transporting minors across state lines for sexual reasons). Bit of an odd story - he brought her over from Mexico to be his "hat check girl", she  apparently rebuffed his advances, then got arrested for prostitution. That must have been an ego blower - rebuffed by a professional 14-year old.

Let's see: Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Pete Townsend, Gary Glitter ... missing anyone?
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 12:50:57 PM »

Let's see: Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Pete Townsend, Gary Glitter ... missing anyone?

Probably almost every rock act that's gone on the road.
don't follow leaders

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 02:57:40 PM »

I think the main difference is that Polanski drugged the girl in question.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 06:12:49 PM »

I love how flippant everyone's being about this. This girl didn't consent boys, she was raped. Repeatedly. Her mother should be held responsible too. And Swine, 13 year old girls are 13 year old girls whether they look "big" or not. And this one certainly didn't look older than her years. Women are still regarded as objects even after all these years. Hence the "oh well" attitude. And I guess the thing about famous people being above the law isn't just a Hollywood thing.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 06:14:36 PM »

I think the main difference is that Polanski drugged the girl in question.

And raped her. She wasn't some lost groupie. And it's still disturbing that grown men are turned on by prepubescent girls no matter what their profession. These girls have no idea what they're doing, they just want to get close to their idols. The GROWN UPS should know better. Whatever. People have an odd way of looking at things.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 06:51:12 PM »

I agree with you Sondra. People might think it's funny but those poor women are probably f***ED UP from all of that.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 09:14:15 AM »

Brian Wilson and his first wife Marilyn started dating when he was 20 and she was 14. It's been reported that he also made a move on both her older and her younger (!) sister at the time. Brian also wrote a few VERY questionable songs about young girls in the late 70s (Hey Little Tomboy, Rollerskating Child, Lazy Lizzy).

Elvis and Priscilla started dating when they were 24 and 14. In Elvis's defense, Priscilla always claimed that they didn't have intercourse until the day they were married (she was 21 then). Interesting detail is that their daughter Lisa Marie was born exactly, to the day, nine months later. Talk about a successful first attempt...  :) But still, a 24 year old rock star dating a 14 year old - I bet it wouldn't be accepted nowadays.

R. Kelly married Aaliyah when they were 27 and 15.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 01:13:49 PM by Joost »

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 08:35:32 PM »

Brian Wilson and his first wife Marilyn started dating when he was 20 and she was 14. It's been reported that he also made a move on both her older and her younger (!) sister at the time. Brian also wrote a few VERY questionable songs about young girls in the late 70s (Hey Little Tomboy, Rollerskating Child, Lazy Lizzy).

Elvis and Priscilla started dating when they were 24 and 14. In Elvis's defense, Priscilla always claimed that they didn't have intercourse until the day they were married (she was 21 then). Interesting detail is that their daughter Lisa Marie was born exactly, to the day, nine months later. Talk about a successful first attempt...  :) But still, a 24 year old rock star dating a 14 year old - I bet it wouldn't be accepted nowadays.

R. Kelly married Aaliyah when they were 27 and 15.

Wow. I didn't know these details.

What's the youngest "age of consent" in America? Different states have different laws when it comes to minors having sex or getting married.

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 08:41:26 PM »

13 year old girls can be quite big

That still doesn't mean they're not kids. Even if they are physically developed, they may still be children mentally/psychologically.

I remember knowing a girl back in my childhood who developed really early. She was 11 but she looked like a full-blown woman, and her looks earned her a lot of questionable attention...

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 12:03:11 PM »

I have read that the French government, and Harrison Ford, are protesting his detainment. He has had private dinners with two French presidents.

As Geraldine Ferraro said in a NYT column yesterday, if their 13-year old daughters were seduced (and drugged?) by a 32 year old man, they would be satisfied with a 48 day incarceration as total punishment?

Why has no one in Hollywood, i.e., his professional and social world, spoken out about the injustice that he is a free man? Remember, he didn't give a rape drug to a girl he met at a bar, a crime even to people of the age of consent. He did this to someone without the ability to make a rational decision about having sex with him (under the assumption that seems reasonable to me that a 13-year old cannot be certain to make informed decisions in their best interest). It's hard to imagine a worse crime, I suppose if she'd been retarded too that would have done it.

This whole thing is more than sleazy and despicable.
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2009, 12:25:59 PM »

I think French intransigience might have more to do with handing him over to the US, regardless of the crime. I've always felt that the French have forgiven the Germans for the horrors of their invading them but not the indignity of the Americans liberating them. 
Only Mr Ford can answer for his own actions.
don't follow leaders

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2009, 01:01:15 PM »

On topic:
I don't see why Polanski should be rewarded for the fact that he managed to circumvent his just punishment for 32 years. Let him do his time.
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.5 seconds with 85 queries.