A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE READ OUR FORUM RULES HERE

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Is Let It Be maligned because of the breakup?  (Read 5620 times)

Wayne L.

Re: Is Let It Be maligned because of the breakup?
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2005, 01:13:16 PM »

Quote from: kevin_b

I'm confused. First you say its a great classic album, but then that the fans were expecting way too much. What should they have been expecting?

I think most fans at the time were expecting another album like Abbey Road.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2005, 04:25:23 PM »

Quote from: Ydoll_Gwyn
I think LIB is maligned because it's not very good.

As much as Ydoll and myself dont see eye to eye, I think he summed it up perfectly with this quote. If the album was better, we wouldnt even be talking about it right now. It had its bright spots (allopiniated and i'm not getting into my personal tastes), but all in all,,,,I feel it was their weakest album. Besides Paul, did any of the other guys really want to do it?

The only problem is the awful, ridiculous Teddy Boy - but John mocks it with his dosie-dos.

Wasnt 'Teddy Boy' one of those tunes like '909' where it was written when the boys were really young? I'm just to lazy to look it up and I was wondering. Its so simple, I would almost have to think so.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2005, 04:32:08 PM »

Quote from: Ydoll_Gwyn

No, you're missing my point. I'm commenting on the fact that A LOT of young and newbie fans like LIB.

I remember when I first listened to it, I thought that it was decent with some catchy stuff, but each repeated listen lost the appeal somewhere. I said to myself,,,'Well this definately isnt a Sgt. Peppers or White album, but its the Beatles nontheless.

A lot of first generation fans, on the other hand, think little of it.

Rightfully so. It was listened to as for what it is, and afterwards, the history lessons probably kicked in and reenforced some of the lost love. Thats what happened to me.

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2005, 07:12:45 PM »

Quote from: Maccalvr
How would you know that? I mean, just on this tiny board, there has been so many different opinions on that album from ALL age groups. BTW, first generation? So you lived through the 60's? Just curious. Cuz there's not too many around here who did.

It's a trend I've noticed for a long time. Notice that I say trend.

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2005, 07:52:46 PM »

I don't feel the Beatles ever made a bad album, but LET IT BE is my least favorite (though I prefer LET IT BE NAKED). I don't see it being maligned these days, though.

In Blue Hawaii

• Getting Better
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2005, 10:07:45 PM »

^Apparently it is bashed here :(

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2005, 12:45:52 AM »

Maybe younger fans enjoy it because we have the Naked version, which is much better

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2005, 12:49:02 AM »

Quote from: Herecomesyoursun
Maybe younger fans enjoy it because we have the Naked version, which is much better

There's a few things worse:

1) I think LIB is the best on the original album, because of the really neat orchestral accompaniment and rocking guitar solo
2) Get Back cuts abruptly

Other than that, the vocals sound much better on LIBN

flux

• A Beginning
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2005, 08:44:26 PM »

Let It Be was a mess. If they would have stayed in the studio and given the songs love, care and attention to detail... the album would be considered a classic. As it was, in the 'naked' rough state the songs were in, they were still great songs. Remember....they were rehearsing for a live gig. Go and grab tapes from any bands rehearsals and tell me if the songs are stellar. That's why they call it rehearsals.

In Blue Hawaii

• Getting Better
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2005, 10:02:30 PM »

Two Of Us - Classic Everly Bros style. A song that other artists would kill to have written. Great opening track.

Dig A Pony - Amazing riff! Woohoo! John, Paul and George playing the same notes in unison. Really smoking, bada** riff. Pretty cool John vocals too.

Across The Universe - Another classic. No other artist could have written this song. I could imagine the Pink Floyd guys melting in admiration for his song. Drifting. Nonsensical. Thoroughly enjoyable.

I Me Mine - Killer bass lines from Paul. Some excellent riffs too. Gotta love this Spector version.

Dig It - KGB/BB King..brilliant fifteen seconds of disconnected thoughts. Sets the stage for

Let It Be - Classic. Always thought of it as a gospel song. No need to explain.

Maggie Mae - For me it is an essential track. I just love how the song segues into

I've Got A Feeling - This is probably the most overlooked track on the album due to the fact that it is the least popular. No other band could play this right and then someone said here somewhere that it is just some COMBO EFFORT. Sorry, I really couldn't forget that comment ;) Nobody could even come close to Paul's vocal on this one. Well maybe Little Richard..

One After 909 - Strange. I could just imagine the Beatles playing "I'll Cry Instead" in '69.

The Long And Winding Road - Another classic. Another song that other artists would kill to have written.

For You Blue - Fantastic slide by John. Great honky tonk piano from Paul. Overall a catchy great George 12-bar blues song.

Get Back - Classic. Gotta love Billy Preston. Needs no explanation.

(thumbsup)

« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2005, 10:17:39 PM »

Quote from: MagicAlex
Two Of Us - Classic Everly Bros style. A song that other artists would kill to have written. Great opening track.

Dig A Pony - Amazing riff! Woohoo! John, Paul and George playing the same notes in unison. Really smoking, bada** riff. Pretty cool John vocals too.

Across The Universe - Another classic. No other artist could have written this song. I could imagine the Pink Floyd guys melting in admiration for his song. Drifting. Nonsensical. Thoroughly enjoyable.

I Me Mine - Killer bass lines from Paul. Some excellent riffs too. Gotta love this Spector version.

Dig It - KGB/BB King..brilliant fifteen seconds of disconnected thoughts. Sets the stage for

Let It Be - Classic. Always thought of it as a gospel song. No need to explain.

Maggie Mae - For me it is an essential track. I just love how the song segues into

I've Got A Feeling - This is probably the most overlooked track on the album due to the fact that it is the least popular. No other band could play this right and then someone said here somewhere that it is just some COMBO EFFORT. Sorry, I really couldn't forget that comment ;) Nobody could even come close to Paul's vocal on this one. Well maybe Little Richard..

One After 909 - Strange. I could just imagine the Beatles playing "I'll Cry Instead" in '69.

The Long And Winding Road - Another classic. Another song that other artists would kill to have written.

For You Blue - Fantastic slide by John. Great honky tonk piano from Paul. Overall a catchy great George 12-bar blues song.

Get Back - Classic. Gotta love Billy Preston. Needs no explanation.

(thumbsup)

Amen muh bruthu'.  Most bands would have given their left nut to have a release as good as this. I guess the people that are bashing it are really giving the band a compliment in a roundabout way because they feel the Beatles were so good that this excellent album is an inferior product. Either way The Beatles get two thumbs up.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2005, 07:59:25 AM »

Had a look at the 1970's album charts to see what LIB was up against. Stones had Let it Bleed (great album, great songs), Simon and Garfunkels Bridge Over Troubled Waters was the biggest selling (more great songs I suppose). Then there's Zeps 111 and Pink Floyds Atom Heart Mother (I don't know enough about them to comment on quality).
don't follow leaders

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2005, 05:20:38 PM »

Had a look at the 1970's album charts to see what LIB was up against. Stones had Let it Bleed (great album, great songs), Simon and Garfunkels Bridge Over Troubled Waters was the biggest selling (more great songs I suppose). Then there's Zeps 111 and Pink Floyds Atom Heart Mother (I don't know enough about them to comment on quality).

Pretty heady stuff indeed. Simon & Garfunkel won out over the Beatles and got the Grammy for 'Best Song' for 'Mrs. Robinson'. "Let It Bleed" is my favorite album of all time. Notice it didn't take but about 5 minutes after the dissolution of the Beatles that the Stones began calling themselves "The Greatest Rock & Roll Band In The World".

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2005, 05:27:39 PM »

Was the title Let It Bleed a p*ss take on LIB or just a bizarre coincidence?
don't follow leaders

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2005, 07:02:24 PM »

Was the title Let It Bleed a p*ss take on LIB or just a bizarre coincidence?

It was released before "Let It Be" so I think its a coincidence. They followed so many of the Beatles leads though, maybe they heard about the song/title beforehand and just went for it, the timing is definitely odd.

flux

• A Beginning
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2005, 10:44:48 PM »

Stones needed the Beatles to break up to begin to develop their own style. Before that they copied The Beatles. Let It Bleed was a direct dig. Remember the sessions were completed almost a year before any of the music was released.

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2005, 04:00:36 AM »

True, but the album had yet to be called 'Let It Be', for all the Stones knew it was going to be called 'Get Back'.

flux

• A Beginning
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2005, 04:08:30 AM »

also keep in mind that The Beatles and Stones attended parties where they would bring acetates of unreleased material and play them for each other. This occured quite frequently between the two bands. Let It Be ( title ) I'm not certain when it was decided to go with it. My understanding is that John hated the song and he was the one responsible for getting the album together.

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2005, 04:52:29 AM »

Quote from: flux
also keep in mind that The Beatles and Stones attended parties where they would bring acetates of unreleased material and play them for each other. This occured quite frequently between the two bands. Let It Be ( title ) I'm not certain when it was decided to go with it. My understanding is that John hated the song and he was the one responsible for getting the album together.

They threw the 30+ hours of material in Spector's lap, and I'm pretty sure that naming the album 'Let It Be' was an Allen Klein decision.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2005, 05:33:27 AM »

How on earth can it be a coincidence?? I mean that would be weird!
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 23 queries.