Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Who you would've bet on?  (Read 2669 times)

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
Who you would've bet on?
« on: December 10, 2011, 11:14:39 PM »

I don't know if there are any people around who've experienced the whole Beatlemania thing, however, put yourself in the position of somebody who has followed The Beatles from 1963-1970. You know that they are gonna break up. Whose solo career would you bet on? Judging on how each beatle evolved during the 66-69 era and so and leaving aside the objectivism, if someone would ask you who do you think will be the most succesful solo Beatle what would you answer? If there are people who actually experienced that and thought one of them would be better than another and they were wrong or vice-versa or whatever, I'd like to hear that too.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

nimrod

Re: Who you would've bet on?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 11:41:39 PM »

I did say at the time that Paul would be by far the most successful, for me Paul was the one who was much more inclined to write poppy type songs, (like C Moon, Frog Chorus, Mary Had A Little lamb etc) I expected him to be at No 1 much more than John or George, they were far more serious and less eager to please pop buying teenagers..

I think Paul was motivated to create a sort of Beatles Mark 2 with Linda whereas J & G weren't interested in that.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 11:45:53 PM »

I was around and experienced Beatlemania as a teenager.  I was 19 when they broke up and it was a shock to me.  We didn't know about their internal friction.  Hey, In early 1970 I thought Come And Get It was The Beatles when I first heard it on the radio!

When it was obvious that they were each going solo, I thought that Paul would be the most successful.  I based that on his McCartney album which I really enjoyed.  I was impressed that he played all the instruments used on the album.  And I liked how Linda sounded singing with him.

I liked George's first solo album and didn't care much for what John was into.  It would be a while until we heard from Ringo but I liked It Don't come Easy very much.
I can stay till it's time to go

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 12:46:41 AM »

Paul, not based on personal preference but just because he seems the most ambitious.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Jema

• Getting Better
  • "The Beatles will exist without us." - George
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 01:42:23 AM »

I think I'm saying this because his solo work is my favorite but I think I probably would have bet on George's solo career,there are reasons why I can say that though.One of the reasons is that all of the songs he had written when he was with The Beatles are all great in my opinion and that kind of shows you that all of his songs he written that never went on any Beatle album would be great (look at All Things Must Pass).My next reason ties with the first one and it's that I would have bet on him because I would be really curious of what he'd write and I'd be really excited to listen to his first album on his own.Overall I think I would bet for him knowing that he has a great voice and I love basically all of the lyrics he wrote while he was a Beatle,in my opinion that is.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 10:10:55 AM »

Paul and that was an easy one. Basing that off of the fact that John was lazy and wrapped up in Yuko, while Paul pretty much spearheaded the band in the later parts. George wasnt even in question as he wrote some good stuff, but there were reasons why he only got a couple tunes per album.

And thats about how it worked out too.

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 01:04:43 PM »

All four Beatles had big hit singles in 1971 - Paul had "Another Day" (and "Uncle Albert" was a hit in the US but wasn't released in the UK), John had a hit single in the US with "Imagine" towards the end of 1971, Ringo saw success with "It Don't Come Easy" and George with "My Sweet Lord".
I was only young at the time so can't remember it personally, but I bet not many people had predicted that all four would be getting big hits as solo artists - especially George and Ringo.
Paul was obviously the most commercially minded during his time in the Beatles - John could obviously write some amazing songs but later in the Beatles career he tended to stay away from writing an obvious big commercial hit song.

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 03:35:27 PM »

I share the opinion that I would have bet on Paul. The ironic thing was at the 1973 mark Ringo was outselling all of the others. His 'Ringo' album had sold very well. As well as it was the closest thing we saw of a reunion up to that time.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 59 queries.