Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Let It Be or Let It Be...Naked  (Read 11749 times)

ma_tt2

• A Thousand Pages
Let It Be or Let It Be...Naked
« on: June 26, 2005, 06:24:37 AM »

I want to buy one of these but am not sure which version to get. Any suggestions will be aprreciated :)

Bobber

Re: Let It Be or Let It Be...Naked
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 11:03:18 AM »

Well, I've grown accostumed to the Let It Be version as it was done by Phil Spector and his 'wall of sound' in 1970. Comparing to the 'new' Naked-version, it's clear that the songs Dig It and Maggie Mae have been removed in favour of Don't Let Me Down. Fine by me. The talking (most of the times by John Lennon) from the rooftop concert has also been removed. In that opinion, the Naked-version may even be more a studio-album! There are differences between the songs on these two albums, but that doesn't count for every song. The most obvious example is The Long And Winding Road. Paul McCartney (and George Martin as well) always said they hated the way Phil Spector had added all kinds of choirs, violins and other strings to the arrangement. On the Naked-version, the song can be heard more in the way McCartney meant it. I Me Mine, Across The Universe and Let It Be are other songs that are more simplified and got rid of the strings and choirs from Phil Spector. My opinion is that they are much more clear and more Beatles-songs than on the old version. Other songs show no or just slight differences. I think that the Naked-version is more the album as an answer to the original idea of getting back the plain, simple, non-bombastic songs. That also the reason why I like it better and should prefer buying the Naked-version. But there's been a lot of discussion about this already.

In Blue Hawaii

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 02:07:12 PM »

Get Get Back sessions

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 03:39:03 PM »

My suggestion is to get the original "Let It Be", and the bootleg of "As Nature Intended", which is the Glyn Johns mix. Its outstanding. I like 'Naked' but still prefer the bootleg version. Easy to find on Ebay.

lennonlemon

• A Thousand Pages
  • I Believe in Beatles
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 09:46:56 PM »

I prefer the original
All You Need is Love  :K) :K) :K)

Harrison

• A Beginning
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 01:04:17 AM »

I haven't listened to all of the original album, but of the songs I've heard, I like Let It Be...Naked better.  The naked version of the song Let It Be is WAY better than the original release, much better guitar solo.
Here comes the sun, doo doo doo doo
Here comes the sun, and I say
It's all right

Mushmouth

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 01:40:37 AM »

Naked does sound better, but I miss Dig It.
I'd like to say thank you on behalf of the group and ourselves, and I hope we pass the audition.

Wordno

• Getting Better
  • Fortune favors the bold
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 02:23:13 AM »

Yeah I also love the Let it be...naked version better.  It just sounds more realistic than the original verson.  If you watch the movie and then you listen to the album then you can tell that 99% of the dialogue before an after songs are fake.  I personally think Phil Spector messed up Let it be.  Plus if you Buy the Let it be...Naked version(CD) you get a cool bonus CD called fly on the wall.  Its cool audio from the Get Back sessions.

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 02:27:36 AM »

Fly On The Wall ...cool? COOL?? I think not, when you consider what they could have put on. Hours of interesting dialogue, other songs ... man, you are too easily satisfied Wordno.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 02:57:52 AM »

I like LIBN, but I do prefer the original version of the song Let It Be. If you have the money, I'd suggest getting both.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Wordno

• Getting Better
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2005, 02:59:36 AM »

Well they can't put several hours of audio on a CD.  I'm sure they just picked out what they thought was the best and put it on the Cd.  I do have to agree with you on the fact that I can be easily satisfied.  But I really don't see how thats a major problem.  I just think Fly on the wall was an enjoyable listen.  Its better than not getting it at all.  Sometimes its also good to be satisfied with what you have then always wanting more.

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2005, 03:35:44 AM »

Quote from: Wordno
Well they can't put several hours of audio on a CD.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2005, 04:04:07 AM »

I agree that they could have put so much more on there. A CD can hold like 80 minutes, right? Or at least the blank ones I use can.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Wordno

• Getting Better
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2005, 04:06:21 AM »

Oh the wit.

I'm not sure if you knew, but 20 to 30 minutes is not a 'few' minutes.  I don't know why you are getting so worked up that my opinion doesn't match yours.  I happened to like Fly on the wall.  Sheesh, Forgive me for not having the same opinion as Ydoll Gwyn.  If you weren't satisfied with Fly on the wall then don't criticize me on the fact that I think it was cool, just stick to something that satisfisy's you like the bootlegged material from the Jan 1969 Get back sessions.

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2005, 04:17:47 AM »

OK already. 22 minutes near enough. 22 minutes out of Thirty Days, sheesh. The point is, many many fans felt that Fly was a lazy tidbit to throw at them. Like I said, there is some great dialogue that could have been put out, and also some great alternative versions of songs, and new songs.

But if you're happy with the crumbs from the rich man's table, good luck t'ya. But I'll aim higher ...

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2005, 05:26:31 AM »

I like them both, for different reasons. The Long and Winding Road without the chorus and so on is interesting, but I really don't care for that song either way. Probably Paul's main motivation for doing Let It Be Naked. I think I could have lived without it. Oh, and I love the guitar solo in Let It Be on the original version SO much better. I know most people don't, but that sharp, loud guitar just does it for me. Gives the song more of an edge or something. I like the drums better on the original version too. For the same reasons. Sounds more interesting.

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2005, 05:43:37 AM »

Quote from: Maccalvr
I like them both, for different reasons. The Long and Winding Road without the chorus and so on is interesting, but I really don't care for that song either way. Probably Paul's main motivation for doing Let It Be Naked. I think I could have lived without it. Oh, and I love the guitar solo in Let It Be on the original version SO much better. I know most people don't, but that sharp, loud guitar just does it for me. Gives the song more of an edge or something. I like the drums better on the original version too. For the same reasons. Sounds more interesting.

Sandra, you're going to be stunned, but I agree with what you've written there, except maybe you like Winding a bit more than I do! LOL.

Of all the versions of LIB itself, the original album's is the one I like best also.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2005, 12:54:51 PM »

At the end of the day I grew up when only the original version was available.

The new version is a treat. A curio. I tend to at first master what they had originally released before delving into the re-mixes. That's just me though. It makes finding the new cuts and out-takes a great experience when comparing them to what the world had listened to at the time.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2005, 08:45:46 PM »

Tough one...

I dislike the talking between the songs on LIB and inclusion of Maggie Mae and Dig It, because it makes the album sound sloppy, but I must say I do like the orchestration on some of the songs...

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2005, 08:46:52 PM »

But if you're getting just one of the two, get the original. It's the real deal, like it or not.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 86 queries.