Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: I like George's singing but....  (Read 69060 times)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: I like George's singing but....
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2011, 08:50:19 AM »

There you have it. I really like about 4 of them, tolerate the majority of them, and despise a few.

Painfully average. Oh well.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2011, 09:09:36 AM »

I've gone and totally derailed the thread. Now i'm posting about his songwriting. Sorry Nimrod.

Bobber

« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2011, 09:10:10 AM »

ha2ha

Besides his own compositions, he also sang other songs of course:

Chains
Do You Want To Know A Secret
Roll Over Beethoven
Devil In Her Heart
I'm Happy Just To Dance With You
Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby

Not the best lead singing I've heard in the Beatles catalogue. Especially ETTBMB, DIHH and DYWTKAS are not an example of a great lead vocalist.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2011, 10:32:09 AM »

ETTBMB should have been a John song. Paul would have done a better ROB too.

'Do You Want To Know A Secret' is the only song the Beatles should have let George sing.

nimrod

« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2011, 12:18:59 PM »

Christ, you know it ain't easy. You know how hard it can be.

Of course you're right Todd. Even the untouchable John Lennon once stated that George wasn't the greatest singer of all. Because people like George, they tend to overrate George's compositions. Before 1966 it was hardly worth noting as far as I'm concerned. Taxman was a good song, Guitar Weeps (and he needed Eric Clapton to weep it), Something and Here Comes The Sun. And that's about it. He sang those songs and he did a good job there. His solo years were mostly mellow songs and his voice suited that best.

Id pretty much agree with all that, Ive always liked George but Ive always thought he was incredibly lucky to get with J & P

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2011, 04:10:36 PM »

i agree with a lot of what you said here todd,the only things i don't agree with is some of the george songs you like,i don't,and vice-versa....but that is totally 'by the by' here.i think the nail has been hit squarely by you saying that the hero worship absolutely blinds people to the fact that some of the beatle work,solo and band work,is in fact not very good;some of it pretty poor.i read a great bit of a book the other week..........glyn johns was producing 'red rose speedway'.he said basically the band were smoking too much dope and not producing enough quality work,paul included.one session glyn got into a bit of a heated discussion with denny seiwell and henry mac,because they said that glyn wasn't showing paul enough respect....and apparantly glyn replied..."don't think that just because paul has wrote these songs they are great and they are gonna sell.they are not great-they are f***in sh*t and the album is f***in sh*t".sorry for digressing,but my point is this....some people cannot see it.now the beatles were great,george was great.he wrote some nice tunes and knocked out some nice lines on his guitar.BUT   HIS   VOICE   WAS   NOT   AS   STRONG   AS   JOHN   OR   PAULS.thats all,folks. ;)
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2011, 05:19:15 PM »

Todd, you've summed it up pretty well with regard to George's singing.  Thanks for posting that list, I forgot that Only A Northern Song and It's All Too much are two separate songs.   ;D

Id pretty much agree with all that, Ive always liked George but Ive always thought he was incredibly lucky to get with J & P

It's a good thing he knew how to play...

George Harrison and Paul McCartney playing Raunchy
I can stay till it's time to go

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2011, 07:03:24 PM »

i like georges singing, he had a natural voice. he had a nice rockabilly voice, which is why he sang on so many beatles rockers. george was a talented musician and his compositions are works of art.

...but more to the point a country western singing voice is not the same as an opera singing voice is not the same as a rock and roll singing voice is not the same as a jazz voice is not the same as a gospel voice is not the same as scat singing. in fact the human singing voice is a very complicated mechanism which is why no two voices sound exactly the same. so the comparisons made here are rather arbitrary and irrational.  ???

George does sing on Twist and Shout, he sings background vocals right behind John.
from : Charukeshi in Lahaina: An Evening with George Harrison
To draw an analogy between the exquisite singing voices of the Beatles with the culinary arts of India, John was sweet, salty and pungent, Paul was sweet, and George was sweet, pungent and sour. Together they achieved a new variety of musical perfection, and that applies equally to their instrumental abilities, including the joyous melodic drumming of Ringo, who is rarely given the proper recognition. And let us not forget that there really were five Beatles. It is unlikely that their music would have reached such a high level without the refined musical sensibilities of their producer, George Martin...
Harrison's singing voice frequently sounds like someone talking, a quality shared by Bob Dylan and Frank Sinatra...

George Harrison and Paul McCartney playing Raunchy

George Harrison - It Don't Come Easy

« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 07:11:23 PM by 7 of 13 »
day tripper yeah

nimrod

« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2011, 08:21:50 PM »

I've gone and totally derailed the thread. Now i'm posting about his songwriting. Sorry Nimrod.

no worries tkitna, it was bound to erm........evolve.

I agree his songwriting was in the main poor, he's always complained about getting tracks on albums but his songs were usually weak. Only A Northern Song for me is a very weak song and should never have made a Beatles album, same with Blue Jay Way, WYAWY and Old Brown Shoe, For You Blue is just a 12 bar blues anybody could make up, LLL is drab IMO as is WMGGW.

He did well on Abbey Rd and I like Taxman and I Me Mine, he was an average singer at best (many pub singers are better) with a monotone voice that had no power. I actually think he was lucky to get the songs he got on Beatle albums, the songs J&P gave away like Come & Get It and Bad To Me were better than George's songs.
For some reason fans like 7 of 13 hero worship him, I have no idea why..

IMO his major asset was his guitar solo's which in a lot of cases were quite melodic and inventive but he is not a natural, flowing guitarist with a virtuoso touch.

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2011, 09:13:50 PM »

;D that's total nonsense nimrod and you know it. ;D
day tripper yeah

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2011, 09:39:25 PM »

I agree with tkitna and nimrod. George was fine, but he was no god at all. I actually think simple lyrics are great melody are the perfect thing for George. Everybody likes "Here Comes The Sun" or "If I Needed Someone" beucase of their brilliant melody and simple, but sweet lyrics. I don't think anybody would ever care about George's voice while listening to those 2 songs. He should've always stay in that safe zone in my opinion. Songs like "Within You Without You" (which I kinda like though) or Piggies or Blue Jay Way are just not his cup of tea. Just leave psychdelic stuff to John and complicated lyrics to Paul.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 12:03:47 PM by The 5th Beatle »
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2011, 12:49:36 AM »

;D that's total nonsense nimrod and you know it. ;D

Everything he said was true. Why do you deny it?

7 of 13

• Getting Better
day tripper yeah

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2011, 12:54:06 AM »

Everything he said was true. Why do you deny it?
;D everything he said was self-inflated malarky or a cheap insult ;D
day tripper yeah

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2011, 02:00:59 AM »

IMO his major asset was his guitar solo's which in a lot of cases were quite melodic and inventive but he is not a natural, flowing guitarist with a virtuoso touch.

I agree, nimrod.  George worked hard at mastering guitar and was acknowledged by this virtuoso...

Chet Atkins plays The Beatles

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2011, 03:21:03 AM »

Permit me to stray off topic in deference to Mr. Atkins...

Chet Atkins "Brandenburg Concerto"

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2011, 03:32:17 AM »

;D everything he said was self-inflated malarky or a cheap insult ;D

Like a two year old, your only answer is because. Lets review what nimrod said.

His songwriting while in the Beatles was mediocre at best. - Check
He was an average singer. - Check
His major attribute was his guitar solo's. - Check although I dont even think he was that great to be honest.

Again, Nimrod spoke the truth and you take issue with it. Instead of posting pointless videos and 'because's, tell us why you disagree. I mean seriously, have a point man.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2011, 03:46:25 AM »

Instead of posting pointless videos and 'because's, tell us why you disagree. I mean seriously, have a point man.

In addition to the pointless videos, there have been numerous links to articles.  We, however, are interested in your own thoughts.

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2011, 03:52:27 AM »

i have been expressing my thoughts, maybe you should re-read my posts. the childish commentary on prominent display here in this thread is tedious and boring.  the videos are far from pointless, but some of the crass opinionating and bullying on this thread sure is. roll:)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 03:55:11 AM by 7 of 13 »
day tripper yeah

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2011, 04:24:36 AM »

7 of 13, I have not noted any bullying on anyone's part.  What I have noted, however, are your repeated derogatory and provoking remarks accompanying many of your posts.  I have called this to your attention previously, yet you persist.

Members of this Forum are appealing to you to post your own thoughts and opinions.  I ask that you remember that this is a public forum and participate in the friendly spirit that we are accustomed to.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Page created in 0.944 seconds with 88 queries.