Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Yoko and Imagine  (Read 3617 times)

Bobber

Yoko and Imagine
« on: June 16, 2017, 10:00:15 AM »

Any thoughts on this news?

The National Music Publishers Association (NMPA) announced on Wednesday that it plans to add Yoko Ono as a co-writer on John Lennon's "Imagine," Variety reports.

NMPA CEO David Israelite presented the addition as an opportunity to correct an historical oversight which Lennon admitted in 1980 was the result of "selfish" behavior on his part. "It is my distinct honor to correct the record 48 years later and recognize Yoko Ono as a co-writer of the NMPA Centennial Song 'Imagine' and to present her with this well-deserved credit," Israelite said.

His announcement took place at the NMPA's annual meeting in New York City, where Ono was on hand with her son, Sean Lennon. At the ceremony, Israelite aired a 1980 BBC interview in which Lennon discussed the creation of "Imagine." "That should be credited as a Lennon-Ono song because a lot of it – the lyric and the concept – came from Yoko," Lennon said at the time. "But those days I was a bit more selfish, a bit more macho, and I sort of omitted to mention her contribution."

Lennon went on to acknowledge that his failure to credit Ono was illustrative of a sexist double-standard. "If it had been Bowie, I would have put 'Lennon-Bowie,'" he said.

Consequently, the NMPA moved to acknowledge Ono's contribution to one of Lennon's best-known solo singles. "While things may have been different in 1971 [when 'Imagine' was written]," Israelite said, "today I am glad to say things have changed."

The process of adding Ono's credit is ongoing. A rep for NMPA told Rolling Stone that "we currently do not know of any opposition to this update."

It has been a busy year for Ono. She's executive producing a film about her relationship with Lennon, and recently collaborated on music with Black Lips and Moonlandingz. The label Secretly Canadian is in the middle of a reissue campaign that will make several of Ono's albums from the late 1960s and 1970s available digitally for the first time.

Ono spoke briefly as she accepted the Centennial Award from the NMPA. "This is the best time of my life," she said.

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
Re: Yoko and Imagine
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 11:22:01 PM »

I never knew Lennon had said that in a 1980 Interview.  Good for Yoko.

Beatles music gives me Eargasms

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 01:11:44 AM »

Here's the interview...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVoXy9bDDwg" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVoXy9bDDwg</a>

44:30
I can stay till it's time to go

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 01:15:56 AM »

If Linda could get credit with Paul for a lot of his early solo stuff doesn't seem any reason why Yoko can't get credit in Johns. Mind you if they hadn't provided quotes from John I'd have been suspicious it was revisionism by Yoko. Interesting that John didn't take action at the time of the interview.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 01:09:05 PM »

If Linda could get credit with Paul for a lot of his early solo stuff doesn't seem any reason why Yoko can't get credit in Johns. Mind you if they hadn't provided quotes from John I'd have been suspicious it was revisionism by Yoko. Interesting that John didn't take action at the time of the interview.

In the Philip Norman book on John it states that Yoko also co-wrote Give Peace A Chance,  but the credit was shared with  Paul
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Bobber

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 07:51:56 AM »

My thoughts exactly. Somehow her credits were still neglected while John was alive. Not that it matters: she gets the money anyway.

real01

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 04:13:33 PM »

In the Philip Norman book on John it states that Yoko also co-wrote Give Peace A Chance,  but the credit was shared with  Paul
Now that's interesting. 8)
Strange things happen when you are a Beatle...

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 09:40:15 PM »

Now that's interesting. 8)
Strange things happen when you are a Beatle...

Supposedly John gave Paul credit as a thank you for his work on Ballad of John and Yoko. Although it's just as likely it was necessary due to their contractual obligations and easier to put paul on the credits than to tussle with the lawyers.

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 11:46:49 PM »

It's not like she lost out on some of the royalties.  She got it all.......  ;D
Beatles music gives me Eargasms

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 12:46:11 PM »

Yoko (im no fan of her) probably deserves some sort of medal
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 07:50:11 PM »

I'm sure she had a lot of input to the song.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 09:45:51 PM »

Yoko (im no fan of her) probably deserves some sort of medal

I might not go that far. If she hadn't married john she'd be a footnote in a remaindered coffee table book. But I don't begrudge her credit for songs.

Page created in 1.635 seconds with 65 queries.