Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Rolling Stone: The Top Ten Beatles Songs of All Time  (Read 2421 times)

I am the Paulrus

• Getting Better
    • FAB 4 FORUM
Rolling Stone: The Top Ten Beatles Songs of All Time
« on: August 25, 2010, 10:19:59 PM »

Rolling Stone: The Top Ten Beatles Songs of All Time

Get a sneak peek at Rolling Stone
Magazine's new collectors issue of the greatest band's 100 greatest songs

By  Rolling Stone
Aug 25, 2010

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/17386/194557

In Rolling Stone's new Special Collectors Edition issue, we count down the 100 greatest songs from the greatest band of all time: The Beatles. Check out the top 10 songs now, before the issue hits stands. "The Beatles: 100 Greatest Songs" also features Paul and John talking about their favorite tracks, the Fab Four's best cover songs, and George Harrison's finest guitar work. "Lennon, McCartney and Harrison had stunningly high standards as writers," Elvis Costello says in his introduction. "Then they started to really grow up: simple love lyrics to adult stories like 'Norwegian Wood,' which spoke of the sour side of love, and on to bigger ideas than you would expect to find in catchy pop lyrics."

What song do you think is Number One?

#10: "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"

The lyrics for George Harrison's first truly great Beatles song began as a deliberate accident — and it wasn't until Harrison pulled Eric Clapton in to play guitar that the arrangement was finished.

#9: "Come Together"

Originally intended by Lennon as a campaign song for LSD guru Timothy Leary's campaign for California's governor in 1970, this became the last song all four Beatles cut in the studio together.

#8: "Let It Be"

McCartney channeled Aretha Franklin's soul in "Let It Be," recorded during the peak of the Beatles' troubled times. A month after its 1970 release, McCartney announced the band had broken up.

#7: "Hey Jude"

McCartney's lyrics for "Hey Jude" were inspired by John and Cynthia Lennon's five-year-old son, Julian — but Lennon first thought McCartney was singing to him about his relationship with Yoko Ono.

#6: "Something"

Before it became the second-most-covered Beatles song behind "Yesterday," Lennon said this unexpected Harrison track was "the best track on [Abbey Road]" and McCartney called it "the best song [Harrison has] written."

#5: "In My Life"

"In My Life," featuring Lennon's most personal lyrics up to the song's release, is one of only a handful of Lennon-McCartney songs where the two strongly disagreed over who wrote what.

#4: "Yesterday"

The most covered song in history began as something called "Scrambled Eggs." It also began as a dream.

#3: "Strawberry Fields Forever"

Lennon once said growing up "was scary because there was nobody to relate to." Strawberry Field the place (a Liverpool children's home near where Lennon grew up) represented those haunting childhood visions. With this song, Lennon conquered them forever.

#2: "I Want to Hold Your Hand"

"I Want to Hold Your Hand" was most American's first exposure to the songwriting magic of Lennon and McCartney, setting off Beatlemania. It represented what producer George Martin calls "the apex of Phase One of the Beatles' development."

#1: "A Day in the Life"

The ultimate Lennon-McCartney collaboration, "A Day in the Life" wasn't recognized as the band's masterwork until the Eighties, after Lennon's death. It pairs lyrics inspired by the newspapers and Lennon's own life with McCartney's idea to have classical musicians perform what producer George Martin called an "orchestral orgasm."

For more on the rest of the 100 greatest Beatles songs, pick up Rolling Stone: The Beatles 100 Greatest Songs on sale at http://www.barnesandnoble.com now.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Rolling Stone: The Top Ten Beatles Songs of All Time
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 04:02:12 AM »

A typical list, but its only opinions and theres falls more into the public majority realm than mine does for sure.

TJ

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 04:19:42 AM »

Rolling Stone has published a collectors edition called "The Beatles: 100 Greatest Songs" and they have selected "A Day in the Life" as number one.

Seems like a solid choice to me.

Further info:
The Beatles: 100 Greatest Songs

Dmitry

• Administrator
  • A Thousand Pages
    • www.murashev.com
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 05:49:03 AM »

Thanks!

I like Top 10.

1. “A Day in the Life”
   2. “I Want to Hold Your Hand”
   3. “Strawberry Fields Forever”
   4. “Yesterday”
   5. “In My Life”
   6. “Something”
   7. “Hey Jude”
   8. “Let It Be”
   9. “Come Together”
  10. “While My Guitar Gently Weeps.”

Maybe in another order, but I like it.

edgineer

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 08:10:05 PM »

I don't quite understand Rolling Stone magazine.
Recently I read one of their other issues declaring Hey Jude # 8 of all songs of all time.
How can it then rank as #7 Beatles song?

Beatlemaniac64

• Getting Better
  • "Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted" - John
    • Instagram
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 02:53:44 AM »

^Good point.

This sucks, I haven't seen the magazine at any stores anywhere. They're probably all gone already.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 02:56:13 AM by Beatlemaniac64 »
-Julia
Born 1991, fan since 2006

edgineer

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 01:39:26 PM »

I must say after reading the Rolling Stone edition I was disappointed.
It appears to be another love-fest for John, rewriting Beatles history.
It needed to be more even handed.

webbyworks

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 01:39:57 PM »

Really you have collect all the good beatles songs. Collection of this list is not that easy because to find this list many people waste lot of time evevthough doing this they cant make the list because it requires lot of skill and talent to do this job some people say it is not that difficult but they are not true they just say for the sake of fun anyhow great job done by you.

LovelyLennon.

• One And One Is Two
  • When it gets dark I tow your heart away...
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 06:09:50 AM »

This sucks, I haven't seen the magazine at any stores anywhere. They're probably all gone already.

I know, none of the stores where I live have it (I'm in Pennsylvania). Not even the bookstore in the next state over. I finally found the magazine listed on Barnes & Noble, so atleast I won't be going without it.

Page created in 0.434 seconds with 56 queries.