Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 599 600 [601] 602 603 ... 666

Author Topic: Currently listening to...  (Read 591621 times)

KelMar

Re: Currently listening to...
« Reply #12000 on: January 23, 2015, 03:26:34 AM »

Wow Barry; you could write a book! A very funny one. I remember Naomi but I never heard about the Hershey bars or Joyce. Don't forget to include a chapter about the lovely child of God Barbara...not just the near-Woodstock experience but also the near-drowning one. ;)

I like the clips from the Selznick version of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. I saw the musical adaptation when I was 10...

http://youtu.be/4KX9Ojp-yic

He wasn't in this clip but I had quite a crush on the actor who played Huck.  ;D

KelMar

« Reply #12001 on: January 23, 2015, 03:38:48 AM »

Quote from: Normandie
I'm glad to hear the kids behaved! I still have to elbow my two daughters when they inevitably start to whisper at some point.

I'm just glad they never acted like my husband's nephew when he was three. He was normally a well behaved little boy but when they bishop was there for Mass he stood up on the pew during the processional and yelled "Here comes the bishop with his big stick!" But it got worse. As his mom tried to wrestle him back onto the seat he yelled "Oh sh*t!" That's when Gram hauled him out of there!

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12002 on: January 23, 2015, 03:52:48 AM »

http://youtu.be/nP7nrkuDJns

Was talking to an old friend on FB and remembered we used to play this over and over until his parents threw us out for the day! I hope you like it!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

KelMar

« Reply #12003 on: January 23, 2015, 04:00:09 AM »

Was talking to an old friend on FB and remembered we used to play this over and over until his parents threw us out for the day! I hope you like it!

Good grief Dave! It sounds like what I put up with here many evenings. My son is particularly good at belching entire sentences. He sounds like someone who's had their voice altered on TV to protect their identity.  roll:)
Believe it or not I used to read MAD Magazine all the time. I even have William Gaines' autograph. Our neighbor's aunt was married to him. It said, "I'm MAD about you Kelley". LOL
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 04:08:21 AM by In My Life »

KelMar

« Reply #12004 on: January 23, 2015, 04:02:07 AM »

They've kinda lost their charm since senior year but this seems appropriate right now...

http://youtu.be/auLBLk4ibAk

;D

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #12005 on: January 23, 2015, 05:29:04 AM »

Wow Barry; you could write a book! A very funny one. I remember Naomi but I never heard about the Hershey bars or Joyce. Don't forget to include a chapter about the lovely child of God Barbara...not just the near-Woodstock experience but also the near-drowning one. ;)

Naomi never changed in the five years I went to that school.  Our second grade teacher relished in hitting us with her pointer.  It was a badge of courage for us boys and we used to see who had the most welts on their arms at the end of the day.  She rarely hit girls with it but one day she took the pointer to Ruth.  I really got angry when I saw that.  When the teacher excused herself to go to the bathroom, she left Naomi in charge.  Naomi would draw this box in the corner of the blackboard where she wrote the names of the kids she reported.  If your name would appear in that box, you would get a few lashes with the pointer.  So I got up and went over to the blackboard.  I picked up her pointer and broke it in two carefully replacing it on the chalk holder so it wouldn't appear broken.  I wanted it to be a surprise the next time she picked up the pointer to hit someone.  The class let out a muffled cheer when I did that.  Then I walked over to Naomi and warned her not to say a word about it to the teacher.  Of course as soon as the teacher came back into the room, Naomi immediately showed her the broken pointer and pointed at me.  "Barry did it, Mrs Levinger!"  The teacher went over to the supply closet and pulled out a yardstick and walloped me with that.

Joyce was the diametric opposite of Naomi.  Kind and considerate.  And a beautiful smile which she sometimes directed at me.  I missed her as much as my best friends Jay and Josh when I was kicked out of that school. 

Right, the lovely child of God Barbara was a delight too.  It was a couple of weeks after Woodstock when my friend Jan and I were scuba diving off his boat on Masten Lake.  Barbara was one of five girls we invited along.  They were wearing bikinis and treading water fifteen feet above us.  What a beautiful sight!  I forgot to breathe and started gasping.  I kicked my way to the surface next to the girl I was sure was Barbara.  After I caught my breath I said "I knew that was you!"  She laughed and splashed water in my face.  That was a great summer!

I like the clips from the Selznick version of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. I saw the musical adaptation when I was 10...

http://youtu.be/4KX9Ojp-yic

He wasn't in this clip but I had quite a crush on the actor who played Huck.  ;D

Jeff East.  Yes, he played a very credible Huckleberry Finn.
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #12006 on: January 23, 2015, 05:47:04 AM »

Samuel Clemens' preface to The Adventures of Tom Sawyer deserves to be quoted here...

MOST of the adventures recorded in this book really occurred; one or two were experiences of my own, the rest those of boys who were schoolmates of mine. Huck Finn is drawn from life; Tom Sawyer also, but not from an individual -- he is a combination of the characteristics of three boys whom I knew, and therefore belongs to the composite order of architecture.

The odd superstitions touched upon were all prevalent among children and slaves in the West at the period of this story -- that is to say, thirty or forty years ago.

Although my book is intended mainly for the entertainment of boys and girls, I hope it will not be shunned by men and women on that account, forpart of my plan has been to try to pleasantly remind adults of what they once were themselves, and of how they felt and thought and talked, and what queer enterprises they sometimes engaged in.

THE AUTHOR.
HARTFORD, 1876.

That Mark Twain sure knew how to write!

I can stay till it's time to go

KelMar

« Reply #12007 on: January 23, 2015, 05:54:20 AM »

Samuel Clemens' preface to The Adventures of Tom Sawyer deserves to be quoted here...

part of my plan has been to try to pleasantly remind adults of what they once were themselves

That Mark Twain sure knew how to write!

Indeed. He seemed to believe what I do; that the children we once were still live within us. The adult versions of ourselves just grew around them.

As for the pointer incident, well done Barry. I cringe when I hear people remark that things would be better if teachers could still spank the kids. There's a fine line between spanking and beating which is too easily blurred by frustration.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12008 on: January 23, 2015, 01:20:45 PM »

Good grief Dave! It sounds like what I put up with here many evenings. My son is particularly good at belching entire sentences. He sounds like someone who's had their voice altered on TV to protect their identity.  roll:)
Believe it or not I used to read MAD Magazine all the time. I even have William Gaines' autograph. Our neighbor's aunt was married to him. It said, "I'm MAD about you Kelley". LOL
Sounds like a kid after my own heart! I used to burp The Pledge of Allegiance in class (first line anyway). It always went over big except for the teacher!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12009 on: January 23, 2015, 02:23:41 PM »

I'm just glad they never acted like my husband's nephew when he was three. He was normally a well behaved little boy but when they bishop was there for Mass he stood up on the pew during the processional and yelled "Here comes the bishop with his big stick!" But it got worse. As his mom tried to wrestle him back onto the seat he yelled "Oh sh*t!" That's when Gram hauled him out of there!

ha2ha  I am going to be laughing all day about that, Kelley! Although as the parent, I would've been horrified even though, at age 3, who knows what will come out of a child's mouth!

KelMar

« Reply #12010 on: January 23, 2015, 05:53:37 PM »

Sounds like a kid after my own heart! I used to burp The Pledge of Allegiance in class (first line anyway). It always went over big except for the teacher!

I'll tell him and share your gas song. He'll be impressed on both counts, I'm sure.

Quote from: Normandie
I am going to be laughing all day about that, Kelley!

I know what you mean Kathy. That has popped into my mind so many times over the years and still makes me chuckle.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12011 on: January 24, 2015, 07:29:56 PM »

This goes out to my ex-husband

Eric Clapton: All Our Past Times

All our past times should be forgotten / All our past times should be erased

Truer words were never spoken (well, sung  ;)  )
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 07:37:11 PM by Normandie »

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #12012 on: January 25, 2015, 04:02:48 PM »

Fopp in Covent Garden are currently selling The Kinks' 2-cd editions for £5 each!

Well at that price I couldn't very well pass them up and so yesterday I bought the 'Something Else' (1967) and 'Arthur' (1969) releases to go with the 3-cd 'Village Green Preservation Society' (1968) on the shelf.

In the case of 'Something Else' the 13-track L.P. is now a whopping 52 tracks, with both mono (the best one) and stereo versions present, the 45 cuts of the era like 'Waterloo Sunset', 'Act Nice and Gentle' and 'Autumn Almanac', BBC recordings, and alternate/unreleased tracks.....all now retailing at £5.
That's £5.
The cost of a pint and a half of English bitter. 

You already know where I'm going with this, don't you?!

Now I wouldn't expect them to start at £5 but, erm, wouldn't it be quite a good idea to treat The Beatles' individual albums in the same way?

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #12013 on: January 28, 2015, 07:59:59 AM »

Just caught the acoustic demo version of John's Watching the Wheels. I like this rougher rollicking version. Brings to mind what the Beatles would have done with it.   Double Fantasy always struck me as over produced. As was the style at the time I suppose.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #12014 on: February 01, 2015, 07:46:25 PM »

Pretty Things week.....started with the debut and now I'm on 'S.F. Sorrow'.

Is it me, or does this really knock 'Tommy' into a cocked hat?
There are so many similarities between the two themes, especially at the beginning, that, if Townshend wasn't listening to (and lifting from) 'Sorrow' I'll buy a Chelsea season ticket.
No, two Chelsea season tickets.   

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #12015 on: February 12, 2015, 09:52:24 AM »

Vangelis- Conquest of Paradise ..... So many memories this song brings
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 09:54:10 AM by Kaleidoscope_Eyes »

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

KelMar

« Reply #12016 on: February 13, 2015, 02:40:46 AM »

My son asked me the other day if I knew this band. He was shocked when I said "Huh?" Apparently he heard the song in a movie and really likes it now. When I heard it I did recognize it. The student becomes the teacher. ;)

http://youtu.be/Ug_HoUfXc4w

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #12017 on: February 14, 2015, 09:54:29 AM »

'Arthur' by The Kinks in the punchier mono mix.....all week.....must have heard it 30 times.

It's remarkable that Granada pulled the plug on the projected TV film.

Apparently animated scenes had been finished, sets made, a cast assembled, locations in London and Southampton sourced, and Julian Mitchell had written a script in liaison with Ray Davies.
The music on the L.P. ('Australia' in particular) had even been recorded to actually fit what had already been planned.

Good though the Granada output was in the late 60s, I can't help thinking that this was a grave mistake on their part.

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #12018 on: February 14, 2015, 04:48:17 PM »

My son asked me the other day if I knew this band. He was shocked when I said "Huh?" Apparently he heard the song in a movie and really likes it now. When I heard it I did recognize it. The student becomes the teacher. ;)

Sorry, but who does not know the band has slept through his life. ;sorry ??? roll:) :'(

http://youtu.be/OuaHjv6Ij08
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 04:50:22 PM by Badgirl66 »

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #12019 on: February 14, 2015, 04:53:59 PM »

Here is a band from my old life

http://youtu.be/1JJuvAaaDMY?list=PLhfKCqG9S2qBXEMg1YfYPC9tKduzM2nqq

a Hommage to a Man called John lennon
Pages: 1 ... 599 600 [601] 602 603 ... 666

Page created in 0.89 seconds with 80 queries.