Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Bernard Purdie Played Drums On The Early Albums?  (Read 6017 times)

Mr. Kite

• A Beginning
  • What would the The Beatles be without Ringo?
Bernard Purdie Played Drums On The Early Albums?
« on: December 04, 2004, 05:13:07 AM »

Just read this article and I couldn't believe my eyes.  It just furiates me to see that for a little bit of money some loser would go along with such an idiotic rumor.

Anyways's here's the link:

http://classicrock.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.getback.org%2Fbreflib%2Fpurdie.html

To claim that someone else was doing the druming on The Beatles first 3 Capitol albums is so absurd and that they had another musician doing guitar work as well I mean please.  This story is of course pure fabrication but I just wanted to know if anyone else has heard about this.  My question is why would Capitol and Brian Epstein go to the trouble of putting uncredited musicans on the Beatles albums since the albums where first released in the UK with Ringo drumming and I'm sure someone would recognize the difference between the two recoedings.  Gee if Ringo wasn't playing then he wasted alot of time in the studio then didn't he?  I can see how the guy would be recording for the Monkees since they where a fake band anyway but to claim years after they broke up with no proof that he was doing the drumming on the early Beatles records is just ridiculous.  The Beatles ARE THE GREATEST ROCK AND ROLL GROUP OF ALL TIME  and didn't need any musical enhancements period.

By The Way the face of drummers has a name and it's Ringo Starr!

Mr. Kite
[size=14][size=14]-Mr. Kite![/size][size=14]<br />'ving been some days in preparation a splendid time is guaranteed for all![/size][/size]<br />

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
Re: Bernard Purdie Played Drums On The Early Albums?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2004, 05:16:37 AM »

my favorite ringo drumming?  Back in the USSR!

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

Mr. Kite

• A Beginning
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2004, 05:50:32 AM »

Wasn't that when Ringo quit The Beatles and Paul Played drums on "Back In The USSR" I believe or is this a joke?

[size=14][size=14]-Mr. Kite![/size][size=14]<br />'ving been some days in preparation a splendid time is guaranteed for all![/size][/size]<br />

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2004, 06:19:12 AM »

First off, Paul did play the drums on 'BITU'. I didnt even read the article, but Bernard Purdie has had the habit of claiming he played on just about everything. Dont get me wrong, Bernard can play as illustrated by his work with Steely Dan and other assorted artists, but his claims that he recieved hush money from George Martin and Brian Epstein to over dub Ringos drums on songs after the boys left the studio is perposterous. The guy is definately trying to fuel his ego. If this article is the same one that i'm thinking of, Purdie claims he cant remember the songs he played on. That sounds a little fishy to me since pretty much every Beatle tune (especially the early ones) were either hits or garnered air time on the radio. You just dont forget that stuff. Anyways, its false and Purdies been called on it by the drumming community before and his story didnt hold up.

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2004, 06:24:40 AM »

yeah mr kite, its a joke mr paul drums Back in the USssR .

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

Mr. Kite

• A Beginning
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2004, 06:43:54 AM »

I just don't understand besides money why he would start such an awful rumor.  I mean if George Martin who hated Pete Best's Drumming and Ringo's first attempt and then replaced Ringo with Andy White.  I mean after all that if George Martin was satisfied with Ringo's drumming then how can this rumor possinly be true.  This guy is just a tallentless hack who is trying to cash in on The Beatles fame and wreck the excellent reputation of Ringo Starr.

Mr. Kite

"I was devastated that George Martin had his doubts about me.  I came down ready to roll and heard,  "We've got a professional drummer."  He has apologised several times since, has old George, but it was devestating - I hated the bugger for years; I still don't let him off the hook!"

Ringo Starr (The Beatles Anthology book)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2004, 07:07:20 AM »

[quote by=Mr._Kite link=Blah.pl?b=cc,m=1102137187,s=5 date=1102142634] This guy is just a tallentless hack who is trying to cash in on The Beatles fame and wreck the excellent reputation of Ringo Starr.

[/quote]

Well, i'm not sure why he stated those things, but Bernard Purdie is not a talentless hack. As a matter of fact, he could drum circles around Ringo. I love the Beatles, but i'll give just due where its deserved.

Here's a small list of people Purdie has played with.

Dizzy Gillespie
Miles Davis
Roberta Flack
Paul Simon
Nina Simone
James Brown
Percy Sledge
Steely Dan
Marvin Gaye
Louis Armstrong
J.J. Jackson
Grover Washington
Gato Barbieri
Gladys Knight
Jackson Five
Isaac Hayes
King Curtis
Aretha Franklin
Herbie Mann
B.B. King
Willy Bridges
Charlie Brown
Neal Creque
Warren Daniels
Lloyd Davis
Ted Dunbar
Gordon Edwards
Tippy Larkin
Danny Moore
Billy Nichols
Houston Person
Norman Pride
Gerry Thomas
Harold Wheeler
Al Jackson
Tino Ganzales
Carrie Smith
Felix Pappalardi
Guru
Jimmy McGriff
Donny Hathaway
Joe Cocker
Pee Wee Ellis
Hummingbird
Essra Mohawk
Larry Corryell
Paul Butterfield
Hank Crawford
Scarlett Rivera
Cornell Dupree
Tim Moore
Free Beer
Geoff Muldaur
Lou Donaldson
Cat Stevens
Al Cooper
Tim Rose

.....and many more

Sorry,,,,,not a hack.

SieLiebtDich

• A Thousand Pages
  • (&quot;\(#^_^)/&quot;)
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2004, 07:42:24 AM »

hehe long list :-)

Mr. Kite

• A Beginning
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2004, 08:21:55 PM »

Okay so he's not a hack but if he has played with all those great people then why start this inane rumor?

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2004, 02:09:54 AM »

There is a possibility that he did drum on a few of the Tony Sheridan/Beatles tracks - Polydor (or possibly Capitol) DID remix and add different vocals to a few of the tracks including Ain't She Sweet (definitely has added drums) and Sweet Georgia Brown in 1964, so it may be feasable. The rest is crap - no way did he drum on any other Beatles track!

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 57 queries.