Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Mark David Chapman: Rehabilitated or Not?  (Read 10016 times)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
Re: Mark David Chapman: Rehabilitated or Not?
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2005, 01:08:00 AM »

Why do you think the death penalty is all right?
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2005, 03:24:17 AM »

I wonder if MDC can listen to music in prison.  If he listens to the Beatles . . .  .

Creepy.

ma_tt2

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2005, 03:58:10 AM »

I think they can eventually be rehabilitated unless there is something wrong with their brain. Everyone makes mistakes, even huge ones and I think everyone deserves a second chance. The thing is if he was let out he would probably be murdered, and I don't think he's quite ready to get out yet, especially if he still hasn't realised what he's done.

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2005, 06:22:21 AM »

Quote from: mclen57
His in-laws eventually forgave him. They knew how his wife was screwing around on him and in the heat of passion, he lost it. Not to mention being a former ER tech and saving the life of a prison guard who was stabbed certainly helped his status along with his religious conversion.
I used to think along the lines you all do 'til I met him. Actually I still do to some extent. I even still feel the death penalty is warranted in some cases. Sorry I p*ssed you all off. Just playing Devil's advocate.

Who gives a flying f***? It sounds like you have little people in your head. Its amazing--one a**hole leaves the site to be replaced by this brain trust.

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2005, 11:57:55 AM »

Leave him to rot.
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2005, 10:41:52 PM »

Actually I've read that murderers have the lowest recidivism rate of serious criminals.  I believe I've also read that they often  make model prisoners.  Most kill, on impulse, one time, someone they know.  They snap!  Often under the influence of drugs or alcohol.    

I don't think MDC fits into the ordinary murderer profile.  He is obviously seriously mentally ill.  I mean, acting out your life to Catcher in the Rye?  How crazy is that?  I guess you could argue that all murderers are crazy at the time of the act, but I don't fully buy that.  There are some evil people who kill (and usually kill again).  

I think MDC belongs in a mental hospital where they can hold him until he's pronounced not a danger.  If I recall, he got twenty years to life in prison, but will come up for parole (and may eventually get it).  Release from confinement in a mental hospital may be tougher than release on parole.  Regardless, I doubt he's getting out anytime soon.  But ten years . . . .?

As far as MDC goes, the lines from John's signature song "Imagine" seems either dead on or dead wrong: "Imagine there's no countries/it isn't hard to do/nothing to kill and die for/and no religion too."

In a religionless world, would MDC not have been a religious zealot, fed upon his own delusions of religious grandeur, acting out his own pathology on the man who said the Beatles were bigger than Jesus?

Or does the world need religion and governments/countries to protect us from others and ourselves?  

I feel no need to hate MDC.  That just feeds into the same demon that possessed him to kill in the first place.  And if you believe in soul or spirit, then that's part of John--the purest, realest part--can never be killed.  

Hating MDC is missing the greatest message Lennon had--Love.  The need for and experience of unconditional love.  It's like hating James Earl Ray for killing MLK--it's missing MLK's central message.  And true power.  MLK knew when he gave the mountaintop speech that it was just a matter of time before he got killed.  I think Lennon in the same way has some presentiment of his death, but chose not to live as a recluse, but was generally open and engaging to the strangers who were continually coming up to him (even MDC, ironically--Lennon was so nice, so human, to the guy, MDC didn't shoot him the first time he saw him).  

Sorry for the presumption on my part.  End of sermon, amen.

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2005, 12:03:37 AM »

I agree with part of that. The sad reality is that anyone could have killed John at any time. I'm not selfish enough to hate Chapman because he killed one of my idols, I can't take it personally. I condemn the act and hope he rots in a cell for the rest of his miserable life, but there are nut cases everywhere and anything can happen. The saddest part for me is that John found a place to call home, where he felt free, accomodated just about everyone he came in contact with, and that unfortunately left him vulnerable. I won't ever understand the plea bargain. I can't think of how you could have orchestrated an assassination and preplanned it the way he did and get off on 2nd degree murder.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2005, 02:38:09 AM »

I think it would take nothing less than a miracle for MDC to be released from prison. I think he's got as much a chance as Charles Manson who is always up for parole and continues to show how unstable he is. I also don't think mental hospital is appropriate for this person. I don't think you can cure what he's got. Also, it's a bit naive to think that feelings of hatred are bad. It's one of our purest emotions. It exists for a reason. People feel it and shouldn't be made to feel bad because they occasionaly feel it. If you let your hatred consume you, that's a different story. Normal people learn to deal with these feelings in a more positive way. Often those kinds of strong feelings lead to action. Positive and negative. BTW, I don't go around hating Chapman every minute of my life, but yeah, when I hear about his actions, the feeling does creep up. Mainly because I'm human.

Bobber

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2005, 09:45:10 AM »

He's mentally ill to begin with and probably gay as well.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2005, 10:12:59 AM »

No sympathy for murderers. As long as John Lennon stays death, Mark Chapman should stay in prison. Murder victims don't get a second chance so why should the murderers?

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2005, 10:13:39 AM »

Quote from: Bobber
He's mentally ill to begin with and probably gay as well.

If you say so, Wayne...  ;D

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2005, 01:21:41 PM »

Where is Wayne? He must have had his privileges withdrawn again.
don't follow leaders

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2005, 01:26:32 PM »

Apparently Wayne took over Bobber's account... :D

Bobber

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2005, 01:38:02 PM »

Careful now biscuitpower while i'm a pretty young man with a bright future ahead etcetera.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2005, 02:38:00 PM »

You forgot to mention "dedicated Beatles fan", "long legs and sexy feet" or "you're crazy mentally". At least one of these combinations of words should appear in at least one out of every two posts, even if they're completely irrelevant in the context.

Good thing you got the "bright future" though. :D

Bobber

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2005, 02:53:56 PM »

What about 'left wing liberal wacko', 'looking for that special lady', 'why are you so uptight', 'you are not Beatles fans', 'secretary-city' and 'you are stupid'? Trying to forget these, by the way. ;)

number14

• A Thousand Pages
  • I like the beatles a lot
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2005, 01:08:44 AM »

i think u should stay there forever, its just madning

Paul McCartney :)

mclen57

• A Beginning
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2005, 05:38:49 AM »

Quote from: juniorsfarm

Who gives a flying f***? It sounds like you have little people in your head. Its amazing--one a**hole leaves the site to be replaced by this brain trust.
Don't worry about it junior. You won't have to deal with me anymore. Sorry I wore out my welcome here people.

Mclen57,
Over and out

Henry the Horse

Bobber

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2005, 07:56:06 AM »

Mmm, you're great at getting people off the forums, jr.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2005, 09:08:52 AM »

Quote from: mclen57
Don't worry about it junior. You won't have to deal with me anymore. Sorry I wore out my welcome here people.

Mclen57,
Over and out

You're OK with me.
don't follow leaders
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 83 queries.