Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21

Author Topic: The Rolling Stones  (Read 64114 times)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
Re: The Rolling Stones
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2007, 06:36:38 PM »

Or with some 20 year model...
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2007, 07:27:00 PM »

i love Gimme Shelter

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2007, 03:06:31 AM »

I hate the Stones. Simple as that.
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2007, 07:02:40 PM »

It wasn't until recently that I even knew that Gimme Shelter was an anti-war song. Probably because I can't understand half of what he sings, but still I feel like I should have known that. Anyway, Are there any other Stone's songs that have some sort of significance or story? I always just looked at their music as sort of meaningless rock and roll. I mean, I know the Angie/Anita thing, and the Sister Morphine thing as well as Mick getting the 'wild horsed couldn't drag me away' from Marianne Faithfull after she woke up from her overdose, but other than that is there anything else interesting going on in Stones songs? Certainly not to the level of the Beatles I would imagine, but something?

« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2007, 07:10:58 PM »

I followed Mick & company as closely as I did The Fab.

Eight GREATEST Stones songs and/or singles  ?  in order of GREATNESS (according to personal taste, that is)(lol) : 1) Satisfaction 2) Sympathy For The Devil 3) Brown Sugar 4) Honky Tonk Woman 5) Ruby Tuesday 6)Street Fighting Man 7) Jumpin' Jack Flash 8)Let It Bleed.

Fave Stones Albums : 25x5, Let It Bleed, Satanic Majestie's Request, Beggar's Banquet, Aftermath, Flowers.

fave FORGOTTEN Stones gems : Oh Carol!, Route 66 (damn, I love this one), Happy, Rip This Joint, It's Only Rock and Roll (but I like it), Star, Star.

..and Bill Wyman's "Monkey Grip Glue" album!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2007, 07:13:40 PM »

Quote from: 218
LOL! Good call John! My friends and I all agree that Mick will tour forever, until he dies, which will probably be onstage in the middle of a strut.

and Keith comes out w/ a walker.

;D

Pasta Cheif

• Getting Better
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2007, 03:17:20 AM »

There was a period of three albums that were just absolutely killer. Sticky Fingers, Beggars Banquet, and Exile on Main Street. One is no better then the other, they're all brilliant.
"Dont take life seriously, you'll never get out of it alive"

legthi

• Getting Better
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2007, 08:16:56 PM »

I agree, beggers banquet is actually an amazing album, has a great feel to it. Also the last stones album with BRIAN JONES in the band, and his last major contributions - which really stick out in 'no expectations', etc. Also love 'you can't always get what you want' and most stuff off 'let it bleed'. Am not too keen on their early stuff, tho' I'm sure it's amazing.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2007, 08:24:26 PM »

I actually heard Sticky Fingers for the first time about 6 months ago. I thought it was crap! I was really suprised because of all the plaudits over the years. I'm not a great fan, but I do like some of the 60's stuff.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2007, 10:12:15 PM »

I listened to Exile on Main Street about 2 or 3 years ago for the first time &
never liked it, .. & the same happend recently when i gave it another whirl &
still don't like it apart from the operning track 'Rocks Off'.
so i'm obviously not a stone's fan.I find a lot of their stuff sounding the same
after a while & it dosen't interet me.

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2007, 10:29:15 PM »

gimme shelter and paint it black was about as much as i got into from the stones, and from what ive heard those two tracks were a bit different from the rest of there stuff

Sea of Time

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2008, 07:51:01 PM »

I like their run of albums from 1967 through 1972 the most, they were turning out incredible work during that period. There are some great songs and good albums from before and after that period but the '67 - '72 period is what I return to the most.

WaMoZ

• A Beginning
  • Saint George W Beatle
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2008, 05:15:28 AM »

The Stones are too conventional for me. Mick as the frontman, like most bands. Unlike the Beatles, where even Ringo could rock the house down with Honey Don't or Boys.
I wonder should I call you but I know what you'd do
You'd say I'm putting you on But it's no joke it's doing me harm....
Tell me tell me tell me come on tell me the answer

moodyblue71

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2008, 07:06:11 PM »

I like the Stones.  I just finished reading Ronnie Wood's book...it was pretty good.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2008, 02:34:54 AM »

For me, Exile On Main Street is the great end of the sixties the-game-is-up record. You can also really crank it up and dance to it, which is always a great selling point with me. Beggar's Banquet is a great record, too, although, like Sandra, I'm completely sick of "Sympathy For The Devil." That song and "Midnight Rambler" for me epitomize the cheezy let's-shock-teacher school of rock that became unbearable- and laughable- by about 1974.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2008, 01:32:26 PM »

Review of Martin Scorsese's Shine A Light from this morning's The New York Times; and yes, it has a Dorian Grey reference: ;D

Only Rock

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2008, 02:19:43 AM »

I like the Stones but I don't much see the point of this.  I would have liked to see a reunion of the early 70s Stones (with Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor) playing tunes from that crucial era.  Just the five of them.  No guests.  

Now that would have been interesting.  

I would hesitate to call what Scorsese's doing "documentary."  It's more like pre-planned filmed event.  Even The Last Waltz (much of which, apart from Levon, was overdubbed afterward).  

What's the point of these movies?  

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2008, 05:51:47 AM »

Quote from: 9

I doubt there's much of a point at all, but there's probably ample reportage on how the machinery of old time rock biz continues to grind along with its gears of celebrity intact even today. Naturally it's a bit absurd, though: the sixties are as remote from us as that decade was from the era of silent film, and the sight of pensionable rock musicians singing their old songs of adolescent rebellion can't help but induce cringes. If you want to hear the Stones, give your local football stadium a pass and go listen to the old Decca catalog instead.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2008, 12:14:37 PM »

Quote from: 9

?????  What's the point of most cinema but top entertain and make money? Though I'm sure Scorcesce, like Stone, believes he's tapping into the rich vein of contempory american culture yardy yardy yardy.
Personally, I think a documentary" (and come on, now one really believes what they see on the screen is real -Shea Stadium anyone? ) about the Stones 40 years on is a good a topic as any. All post modern irony and crap. And it's a neat little trick telling their story through how they appear today. More "cinemaric" than just splicing together archive footage. I think it worked for The last Waltz and will probably work again.
Though I think to make Harrison's post Beatle career interesting will stretch his storytelling skills to the max.
don't follow leaders

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2008, 01:24:56 PM »

Quote from: 185
All post modern irony and crap.

Wouldn't doubt it. ;D

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21

Page created in 0.269 seconds with 81 queries.