Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Your Favourite TV Series  (Read 18699 times)

nimrod

Your Favourite TV Series
« on: August 01, 2013, 10:30:54 PM »

Ive been watching quite a few tv series recently, movies seem to have gone a bit sh*tty, and tv series now regularly have movie actors in them and theyve raised the game , anyway heres my opinions, hope they are of some help.

Dexter - Very well made, I was hooked on it, Im watching the last season now and its gone on too long I think, but the first 4 seasons were great. Loved the Bay Harbour Butcher   ;D

Breaking Bad - My favourite (see my avatar ), great storyline, very well acted, one of the best imo, cant wait to see how it pans out in the last season. 'Nice guy Science teacher with loving wife turns into drug lord because he has terminal cancer and wants to leave his family plenty of money to live on - his intentions are good but it all turns to sh*t, even wifey leaves him' a must watch.

The Newsroom - another one Id recommend, brilliant script, very well acted. Really like this one.

Game Of Thrones - If you like medieval stuff like Knights and armies, Kings & Castles you'll love it, massive cast, great scenery, goes from snow to middle east scenery, yes Im hooked. I even just downloaded the books ;)

Entourage - tried it but it seems aimed at younger people not old farts like me. So i gave it a miss.

Ray Donovan - a new one , were up to episode 4 .....Brilliant, love it, not quite as good as Breaking Bad imo but getting there, it could get better or worse of course, time will tell.

Weeds - not dead keen on this one but you may like it. Skint mother starts selling weed etc. a bit meh imo

The Bridge - another new one, a body cut in half is found on a bridge that links America with Mexico, half the body is American the other half Mexican, so a cop from Texas teams up with a cop from Mexico (male & female) to investigate, obvioulsy illegal people smugglers, drugs are involved, its pretty good so far but not brilliant.

Underbelly - An Australian series based on facts about the underworld, drugs, prostitution etc, very good !

Theres a new one starting on Fox soon called Low Winter Sun which looks good, starring excellent English actor Mark Strong

Ive downloaded 2 seasons of Madmen and 2 seasons of Suits, will let you know what I think (if you so desire )

Oh and Ive been told Rome is good, but you have to like the erm Romans

Heres some more;

http://theweek.com/article/index/246376/the-10-best-tv-shows-from-the-first-half-of-2013

Top Of The Lake is in that top 10, I liked it a lot, made in New Zealand, a girl goes missing etc etc, a bit slow but quite 'gripping'

I think all these are on netflix if you want to pay or as torrents if you dont.

PS, nearly forgot, House Of Cards is a remake of the British series (Ian Richardson starred in it,) (his catchphrase was 'you may think so.. I couldnt possibly say) starring Kevin Bacon, thats really good as well, dirty dealings in the White House etc etc
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 10:32:29 PM by nimrod »
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Your Favourite TV Series
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 11:34:32 PM »

Some of my favorites -

Justified - Timothy Olyphant is a badass in this series. The acting and writing are brilliant. Favorite show for sure.

The Walking Dead - I've read all the comics (still going) and i'm hooked on the show. The show took some liberties and it isnt as good as the books, but its still a good view.

Sons Of Anarchy - Yeah, its a guilty pleasure for me and my wife. We love it.

The Bridge - Its only on its third episode, but its really good. Hoping the momentum continues.

The Americans - Some episodes are incredible and others are blah, but i'll continue to watch.

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 12:11:52 AM »

Here goes.

Hell On Wheels - a dirty, gritty nasty western about the Union Pacific Railroad's quest to reach across the continent.  If you liked Deadwood, you'll like this.

Grimm - a modern take on Grimm's Fairy Tales.  A Portland, Oregon detective discovers he is descended from "Grimms" who hunt and kill supernatural creatures. 

Revenge - Total guilty pleasure and not the sort of thing I usually like.  A woman discovers a rich Hampton, Long Island family framed her father for a terrorist act and she enacts her plan to extract revenge.  A bit soap-ish, but I am hooked.

Kevin, Game Of Thrones might be the best TV ever!
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 02:17:30 AM »

I guess I don't whach enough TV.  I've never heard of any the shows mentioned.  About all I watch on TV is Turner Classic Movies, RetroPlex, retro tv, Animal Planet and the SPEED Channel.
I can stay till it's time to go

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 02:42:26 AM »

I guess I don't whach enough TV.  I've never heard of any the shows mentioned.  About all I watch on TV is Turner Classic Movies, RetroPlex, retro tv, Animal Planet and the SPEED Channel.

Barry you might be better off not watching a lot of TV.  I think I watch too much sometimes, especially sports. But there is no way I listen to too much music!  There is no such thing!  ;D
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

KelMar

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 03:19:57 AM »

I mostly watch second-hand TV. If someone else has it on I might sit down but usually I get bored and put my headphones on. I do like to watch Conan O'Brien with my daughter and classic shows when I think of it. And I am determined to give the Buffalo Bills one more chance this season and watch the games. It used to be fun, even when they didn't win the Superbowl! We'll see how long that lasts...

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 03:21:37 AM »

Grimm - a modern take on Grimm's Fairy Tales.  A Portland, Oregon detective discovers he is descended from "Grimms" who hunt and kill supernatural creatures. 

I forgot about Grimm. I've never missed an episode. It might not be the best show, but I like it.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 07:52:17 PM »

I really only watch PBS, Nova, news, MeTV and a couple of others. I work 2nd shift and am spared the boredom of night time tv. The few I've tried to watch I can't make it through.
I like Svengoolie on Saturday nights but the lineup of movies tend to be a bit lame.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 07:58:42 PM »

My favourites: Dr. Who (new series), House M.D., Lost, Sherlock, Supernatural, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Peep Show, Entourage, The Inbetweeners, The Office (US), Arrested Development, Freaks and Geeks, Family Guy, American Dad.

Without much exaggeration, 90% of the people I know watch 'Game Of Thrones', my parents included. It's really, really not my thing, but I'm getting more and more convinced to give it a try. I will sometime.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 02:05:22 AM »

I forgot Duck Dynasty and Archer.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 10:19:37 AM »

Not into any contemporary stuff. The only exception being 'Germany's Next Top Model by Heidi Klum' that I watch with the Missus. That's the "passing a train wreck" effect. Can't manage to take your eyes off of it.

We regularly view a bunch of classic series that we have on disk.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 04:26:46 PM »

I've just finished watching the first 'Dexter' season after a 3-days marathon. It was mind-blowingly intense. I'm stunned really. I still can't believe how good it was.

nimrod

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 10:25:11 PM »

I've just finished watching the first 'Dexter' season after a 3-days marathon. It was mind-blowingly intense. I'm stunned really. I still can't believe how good it was.

Im just watching the final season, its been great I must say, 3rd season probably my favourite ;)
Breaking Bad is even better imo,

and Game of Thrones is THE best !

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 09:44:29 AM »

I want to give props to 'Modern Family', which I've really been into lately. Extremely funny and well-executed comedy series.

But if my opinion isn't worthy enough, perhaps a google search with Sofía Vergara (one of the actresses) will win some of the male members over.  ;D

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 10:29:59 AM »

I want to give props to 'Modern Family', which I've really been into lately. Extremely funny and well-executed comedy series.

But if my opinion isn't worthy enough, perhaps a google search with Sofía Vergara (one of the actresses) will win some of the male members over.  ;D

Modern Family is well done. Genuinely funny but manages heartwarming without sappiness. And yes, Sofia is...attractive.

I have to give props to Big Bang Theory too. Since Seinfeld ended I haven't really got into any of the big US comedies. I do like that one though.

In terms of drama I loved The Wire. Just an all round well done show. I also liked Deadwood although it unfortunately ended a bit abruptly. After watching it my new guiding principle when faced with any problem was - what would Al Swearengen do?

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 10:54:37 AM »

'Seinfeld' is an actual obsession of mine. I must've watched the series at least 4 times (not to mention 3 hours of bloopers). I think it's genius, in every possible way. Have you watched Curb Your Enthusiasm, moog? I highly recommend it if you enjoyed Seinfeld. Larry David writes and acts in it and it's pretty hilarious. Not always in a "laugh-out-loud" way like say, the Kramer scenes were in Seinfeld, but hilarious nevertheless.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 11:11:57 AM »

'Seinfeld' is an actual obsession of mine. I must've watched the series at least 4 times (not to mention 3 hours of bloopers). I think it's genius, in every possible way. Have you watched Curb Your Enthusiasm, moog? I highly recommend it if you enjoyed Seinfeld. Larry David writes and acts in it and it's pretty hilarious. Not always in a "laugh-out-loud" way like say, the Kramer scenes were in Seinfeld, but hilarious nevertheless.

Yep Seinfeld at its best was brilliant. I've seen one episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm on a plane. It was cringingly hilarious (it was an episode when a friends daughter was selling cookies at his house when she had her first period. He got a bit too detailed in helping her). I meant to explore it more as i found it very funny. Unfortunately a lack of time and a very poor Internet connection at home has restricted my viewing of late.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2014, 02:57:04 AM »

I like intelligent and respectable TV shows of redeeming social significance like...

The Beverly Hillbillies Opening and Closing Theme Song

The Addams Family Intro Theme Song 1964 - 1966

Gilligan's Island Opening Theme from Season Two "The Professor and Mary Anne"

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2014, 02:58:06 AM »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2014, 03:14:32 AM »

These series are two are my favorites...

M*A*S*H -OPENING REWORKED

St. Elsewhere Season 2 Theme

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Page created in 0.699 seconds with 87 queries.