Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Where Were You?  (Read 82448 times)

Re: Where Were You?
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2004, 08:15:47 PM »

I lived in Long Island, New York (just an hour from New York City). I was 18 at the time and a Beatles/Solo Beatles collector. John was my idol, and I was thrilled that he was back in the music scene again.

I had just graduated high school and had gotten my first job that year. It was around 11pm and I

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2004, 11:13:37 AM »

6 more years till I clamped eyes on a rather depressing Hospital room.
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

sexy sadie

• Getting Better
  • once there was a way to get back home...
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2004, 07:20:32 PM »

i wasn't born until 9 yrs, 1 month and 8 days later, but my parents remember. they were about 20, and they were watching a football game when it was interuppted to say the sad news. they both are big beatles fans, but my dad especially loved them and mostly john...i think he said he cried. :[
Ashley*

one sweet dream, pick up the bags and get in the limousine. soon we'll be away from here. step on the gas and wipe that tear away. one sweet dream came true today...

[img]http://img122.exs.cx/img122/8264/jsj21oc.jpg[/img

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2004, 08:14:15 PM »

I was negative 9 years and 9 months old, but my guitar teacher- a hardcore Beatles fsn told me that when she heard the news she was just waking up and she had a cup of coffee in her hand, and when she heard it on the radio she dropped her coffee and was just in shock. The big-time music school that she went to was closed that day, and people were in the streets just crying and playing old John/Beatles tunes.

I'm glad I wasn't around for that day.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2004, 08:21:26 PM »

A few people killed themselves after hearing of Johns Death..
I find this surreal..and scary
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2004, 08:31:38 PM »

[quote by=Mairi link=Blah.pl?b=lennon,m=1078147975,s=24 date=1096834455]

I'm glad I wasn't around for that day.[/quote]

I suppose. But then if I hadn't been around that day, I wouldn't have been around when he was alive.  But yeah, it's not a day I'd like to repeat. Or week. Or year for that matter.

number14

• A Thousand Pages
  • I like the beatles a lot
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2004, 11:52:43 PM »

a few years after that, i woulve been born

Paul McCartney :)

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2004, 12:10:59 AM »

Well I guess I'll join in the tradition of saying something like...........

I was negative 7 years and 30 days and I am also glad that I was not around to remember it.

There is a news report on a BBC site about the event, when I watched it I cried and felt awful so I don't know what I'd have been like had I been alive.

I think it's amazing that there seems to be so many that weren't even born when he died that have been touched by his music and words, he was a really intelligent guy.

SieLiebtDich

• A Thousand Pages
  • ("\(#^_^)/")
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2004, 02:50:56 AM »

I was born 6 years later...after johns death :-/......for the other i wasn't even born....

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2004, 03:20:30 AM »

Hmm... Maybe we should make a thread called 'Where Weren't You'.   ;D

SieLiebtDich

• A Thousand Pages
  • ("\(#^_^)/")
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2004, 03:48:28 AM »

LOL!!!!! YEAH WE SHOULD! :-D

bilyum

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2004, 09:06:36 AM »

Kennedy: I was in 1st grade. it came over the loudspeaker from der central scrutinizers office   (school principal )

John: I was at home listening to the radio in disbelief and a state of numb disaccociation, because I didn't want to believe it. that's somewhat redundant.

I was at home, listening to the radio. I'm still shellshocked that John has been gone as long as he has.

Elvis: I was onstage, playing at at some upholstered outhouse for 75 bucks or something close.   I was quite sad, but not surprised by the passing of Elvis.

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2004, 09:51:09 AM »

it was in December ninth one Tuesday. I came from the school and heard in the radio, which would have been murdered John.

I was 11 Years Old.

Sadie4

• Getting Better
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2004, 07:26:50 PM »

I was too little to realise of the magnitud of the event, thank GOd! I wasn't older than 3 or 4... when JOHN passed away...
JOHN LENNON is my Sun King!

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2004, 01:21:30 AM »

I asked my cousin if she remembered. I didn't think she would cuz she wasn't a Beatles fan. But she remembers asking her parents if she could call me! She was like 8.

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2005, 03:17:24 PM »

On the morning of December 9th, my sister woke me up for school. I was in 9th grade then. She said, 'You'll never guess who died last night.' I asked her who, and she said John Lennon. We're so close in age and she knew the Beatles were my life and I thought it was one of those bad sibling jokes, so I told her to shut up. I turned on WLUP in Chicago and I caught Steve Dahl mid sentence saying "The man was shot, it wasn't like an overdose like so many rock stars", and I was just in shock. I had been watching Monday Night Football that night and went to bed about 45 minutes before Howard Cosell broke the news, so I missed his announcement. I still have all my newspapers from all over the place about it.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2005, 07:37:27 PM »

Very similiar to my experience. Except it was my cousin I told to shut up. It felt like it could only have been a joke. There was just no way. I'm still mad at my mom for throwing away those newspapers. I remember the whole Paul reaction thing and that was like the first time ever that I hated him. For a second. But then you realize it wasn't what the media made it out to be. The poor guy was just in shock. You can see the sorrow in his face from the pics back then.

One weird thing I remember is when I was watching the coverage of the ten minutes of silence with my friends, we started to laugh. I have NO idea why. How stupid of me. Maybe we were to young to handle it or something. Or I didn't want to cry in front of them. They were never into the Beatles. But I sure cried a lot when I was alone. Still do whenever I see the Imagine video or hear certain songs. I can't really watch the Lennon Legend DVD that much. Too much.

Anyway, I've been asking people lately if they remember that day. Even people who are not remotely into them, and they ALL remember exactly where they were. Then I ask about Elvis and they have no idea. Just remember when it happened but not the specifics of where they were. I find that interesting. Maybe because John's death was so tragic.

Paulsluv

• A Thousand Pages
  • Hold me tight, Paul!
    • My livejournal
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2005, 09:32:28 PM »

If I remember correctly (I was only 3 at the time), I was watching the news with my parents and they were reporting it.
Ohana means family. Family means no one gets left behind or forgotten.--Lilo and Stitch.
Beatles to battle!--Paul, Yellow Submarine movie
Listen. Do you want to know a secret?
Have you hugged your Paul Today?
Drop me a letter in my mailbox. :D

TurnMeOnDeadman

• A Thousand Pages
  • Creme Tangerine
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2005, 06:27:28 AM »

I was a little sperm waiting to reach an egg 12 years later

mih ssim mih ssim ,won daed si luap

"LSD is a drug made famous by John Lennon and Paul Mccartney"
 &nb

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2005, 04:31:51 PM »

Quote from: Maccalvr

One weird thing I remember is when I was watching the coverage of the ten minutes of silence with my friends, we started to laugh. I have NO idea why. How stupid of me. Maybe we were to young to handle it or something.

Not stupid. Laughter is one of our defense mechanisms. If you really look at it, we laugh at things that make us uneasy or don't fit with rational thinking. Why do people laugh at disgusting jokes? Its because your brain knows what's right or acceptable or rational, the joke goes competely against it and the result is laughter. Also when some people are uneasy they laugh, its just a way of handling it.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 84 queries.