Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Do you think Paul is worried about his legacy?  (Read 4270 times)

Buttmunker

• Getting Better
Re: Do you think Paul is worried about his legacy?
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2007, 03:52:45 PM »

if he was really worried about his legacy, he would have stopped putting out albums years ago.

I remember Paul once saying: he couldn't think of himself not doing anything.  He would want to go out and do music, and it didn't matter if it was "Big Time" or "Small Time."  If it was Big Time, then wow!  great!  

Well, he had the Big Time.  Now he's got the Small Time going on.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2007, 05:34:09 PM »

Quote from: 828
if he was really worried about his legacy, he would have stopped putting out albums years ago.

I remember Paul once saying: he couldn't think of himself not doing anything.  He would want to go out and do music, and it didn't matter if it was "Big Time" or "Small Time."  If it was Big Time, then wow!  great!  

Well, he had the Big Time.  Now he's got the Small Time going on.

I'd say a lot of people would like to be as big as he is at the moment!

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2007, 09:43:59 PM »

I don't know if he is worried about his legacy as much as he's worried about being older....
Paul will always be remembered generally as a member of the Beatle, and peace and love and all that....that is obvious....he doesn't have to worry about that....

so i think it's just something about getting older that seems to be a problem...which is the case to most people who are getting older....

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2007, 01:21:35 AM »

Maria actually had it right in my opinion (if you read the whole thread).

Paul has always worried about his image and thats why he comes off as being so fake all the time. Its hard to watch him when he tries to be hip at 60+ years old. I wish he'd just be himself without the shields up.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2007, 01:39:16 AM »

Getting older affects people differently. George Martin, for example, seems to be getting jollier and more relaxed and open with every interview. He strikes me as a man completely at ease with himself. He's not worried about his place in history or anything, just enjoying life in his retirement years.

Paul strikes me as exceedingly wound up. He's always battling something or another, always trying to set the record straight, always wanting to charge onto the next thing. He's a workaholic and he's happiest when he's busy, but I think he's gone over the top and is just making himself miserable. From being concerned about "setting the record straight" (which was supposedly the theme of his autobiography ten years ago), he's now manic about getting his own particular view out into the world--right now, fast! And no dissenting views, please! (I'm using the discussion of Wingspan as evidence of this; I haven't seen it myself, so chime in if I'm off-base.)

Everyone is allowed to go through a hideous phase when they're divorcing; I hope that's all it is. But his bio would seem to tell against this. I'm personally getting quite tired of Paul's frenzy over how he'll be remembered. It's like he's reverting to childhood; all those ideas his mum taught him about upward mobility have now become of overriding importance to him. Maybe if we sent a masseuse over...
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

BlueMeanie

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2007, 10:39:15 AM »

I think he would like his solo career recognised more, and it riles him that it isn't. That his best work is still considered to be with The Beatles, is maybe an annoyance to him, though he fuels this himself. He's the typical eclectic; he's never really had direction. He is sometimes his own worst enemy. I'd love to see him in an interview moaning about how he's been portrayed over the years, and going for some of the people that have picked holes in him. If he poured his heart out he might receive more sympathy.

If I was him it would really p*ss me off with all the adulation that Lennon has received since his death considering his mediocre solo output. It may be too late for him to do anything about it now, if he'd tried to set the record straight it would have had to have been while Lennon was still alive. And it can't help that Yoko constantly pushes Lennon's memory to new, undeserved heights.

It's a very strange position he finds himself in. Ex-Beatle, one of the richest men around, decorated songwriter, knight, and yet still derided in some quarters. Rightly or wrongly Lennon has been elevated to 'sainthood', and he just has to get on and accept that he came second.

maccafan

• A Beginning
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2008, 08:14:21 PM »

He may, but I worry about his live performance legacy!

I think it will be said that he leaned too heavily on the Beatles in his later performing years.  That's why I really think he should change his setlist and start performing much more of his Wings/solo material.

It shouldn't be said that Paul McCartney rested on his laurels on stage, but many people are starting to make comments and think that way, and it just doesn't have to be!

McCartney should change his setlist!

BlueMeanie

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2008, 08:21:13 PM »

Quote from: 1580
It shouldn't be said that Paul McCartney rested on his laurels on stage, but many people are starting to make comments and think that way, and it just doesn't have to be!

Many people on forums, maybe. But they're not the majority. Most people that go to see him live are Beatles fans who have a few solo albums, and if you asked them, they'd say they wanted Beatles songs. I agree though, it's time he changed his set.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 54 queries.