Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: The New Mark Lewisohn Books  (Read 71878 times)

Bobber

Re: The New Mark Lewisohn Books
« Reply #200 on: March 09, 2017, 10:00:39 AM »

Does anyone know offhand where Mark Lewisohn is from?

Born in London NW9, England.

KelMar

« Reply #201 on: March 09, 2017, 03:36:19 PM »

Thanks, Cor. For some reason it just wasn't showing up in a Google search.

KEROUAC

• A Beginning
« Reply #202 on: April 06, 2017, 08:56:27 AM »

I believe he also grew up in Kenton and Pinner Middlesex.

KelMar

« Reply #203 on: April 06, 2017, 09:58:59 PM »

Thanks, Kerouac. I listened to a podcast with him as a guest and something about his accent made me wonder where he was from.

Bobber

« Reply #204 on: May 26, 2019, 11:08:08 AM »

Does anyone know if volume 2 is still up for 2020?

KelMar

« Reply #205 on: May 26, 2019, 07:39:00 PM »

Does anyone know if volume 2 is still up for 2020?

I can’t find out a thing, but I’m going to devote some time later to reading his Twitter feed. That will be a nice change from than the usual garbage I look at on Twitter.

Bobber

« Reply #206 on: May 27, 2019, 07:15:30 AM »

I can’t find out a thing, but I’m going to devote some time later to reading his Twitter feed. That will be a nice change from than the usual garbage I look at on Twitter.

I don't use Twitter, so you will be my source. :-)

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #207 on: June 01, 2019, 07:26:46 PM »

The 1st book is 970 pages.  I'm less than half way through and I've been trying to read it for the last 3 or 4 months.  Hopefully, i'll finish it before I die.

It's very detailed so I think if you want to know every little thing about them including dates and many people's names who passed in and out of their lives, then this book is for you.  It must be for me, too, because I keep trying to read it.

On the plus side, it's almost like you're there - you're getting a bird's eye view of their early formation and amazing path to incredible fame and fortune.  Everybody's human in this book.  There are no Gods who made all that happen.  Just a bunch of guys who shot to the toppermost of the poppermost and left all other bands behind.  They carved out this unique niche for themselves and only themselves.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #208 on: June 02, 2019, 09:30:26 AM »

You’ve got the short version too Loco. There’s an unabridged version almost twice as long.

I love the book though. I’m hoping he gets all three done while I can still read. I last heard him say he hasn’t even started researching the third book so if we see it before 2030 I’ll be grateful.

KelMar

« Reply #209 on: June 06, 2019, 02:35:47 AM »

I don't use Twitter, so you will be my source. :-)

I will do my best. :) I listened to a long interview that Mark Lewisohn did in April and he never mentioned what we all are dying to know.

I love the book though. I’m hoping he gets all three done while I can still read. I last heard him say he hasn’t even started researching the third book so if we see it before 2030 I’ll be grateful.

The interview dealt primarily with Peter Jackson’s Let it Be documentary and John and Yoko’s bed-in. He said he wanted to take the opportunity to delve into new information on both that’s come out for their 50th anniversaries. He said that will be in the third book. I wish he’d just focus on getting the second one out! I’m sure he’d love to hear that. LOL I get it though.

Forever Changes

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #210 on: June 06, 2019, 02:31:27 PM »

hi i'm new here. this is the best beatles forum i've seen i'm so glad to have found it! lifelong obsessive fan since age of 6 (am 34 now!), nice to meet you all.

this is a thread for the brand new lewisohn triple volume book series, volume one of which is due on the shelves this coming christmas. he has been asking fans via websites to send him any bits of clippings, photos, info, memorabilia etc they may have if its not been seen before, and that seemed like a good start. 1963 is where the first book ends, as the 'mania' kicks in, then two more books will follow in the subsequent 8 years.

i'm looking forward to these books. i think they'll become the definitive account because *despite everything* there's not really ever been one.

what do you guys think?

Great to read your post. Have always enjoyed Lewisohn's books. His books, 'The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions' and 'The Complete Beatles Chronicle' are among my most treasured reference books!

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #211 on: June 07, 2019, 02:01:07 AM »

Great to read your post. Have always enjoyed Lewisohn's books. His books, 'The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions' and 'The Complete Beatles Chronicle' are among my most treasured reference books!
That post you quoted was posted 11 years ago ...it's a pity Pisces didn't stick around
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #212 on: June 07, 2019, 05:55:59 AM »

That post you quoted was posted 11 years ago ...it's a pity Pisces didn't stick around

Clearly the Pisces fish wasnt hooked by the forum.

(Rimshot)

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #213 on: June 07, 2019, 11:56:46 AM »

Clearly the Pisces fish wasnt hooked by the forum.

(Rimshot)

« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 12:01:30 PM by nimrod »
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #214 on: March 12, 2021, 04:47:55 PM »

The 1st book is 970 pages.  I'm less than half way through and I've been trying to read it for the last 3 or 4 months.  Hopefully, i'll finish it before I die.

It's very detailed so I think if you want to know every little thing about them including dates and many people's names who passed in and out of their lives, then this book is for you.  It must be for me, too, because I keep trying to read it.

You hung in there longer than I did, LocoMo. I gave it the old college try for about a month and then bailed. I don't need that level of detail. It's still sitting on my shelf, barely touched. I keep it on hand so I can pull it down in case I need to look something up. I doubt I'll buy either of the others when they come out.

I see from this thread I'm in the minority.

henrythehorse

• One And One Is Two
  • I learnt to play guitar by listening to George H
« Reply #215 on: April 02, 2021, 03:48:03 PM »

Haven’t logged in here for some time.

I’ve been a Beatles fan since 1979. My take on the extended edition of Tune In is that it takes you on a deep journey into their ancestors, parents, siblings, loved ones. It dispels a lot of half-truths, untruths, myths, rumours. I bought the extended edition when it came out. I was enthralled. I’ve read the whole book several times since then.

I’m not criticising anyone on here for not liking it, finding it difficult to stick with etc. I get that. But if you REALLY want to delve deep into the Beatles’ background, personalities, and the influences which shaped them, Tune In Extended is the place to go. It’s a ‘deep dive’ - to use a modern term.
I Can't Tell A Waltz From a Tango

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #216 on: April 03, 2021, 12:08:23 AM »

Haven’t logged in here for some time.

I’ve been a Beatles fan since 1979. My take on the extended edition of Tune In is that it takes you on a deep journey into their ancestors, parents, siblings, loved ones. It dispels a lot of half-truths, untruths, myths, rumours. I bought the extended edition when it came out. I was enthralled. I’ve read the whole book several times since then.

I’m not criticising anyone on here for not liking it, finding it difficult to stick with etc. I get that. But if you REALLY want to delve deep into the Beatles’ background, personalities, and the influences which shaped them, Tune In Extended is the place to go. It’s a ‘deep dive’ - to use a modern term.
I read the shorter version on my phone in few days and swallowed it up.
Id like to get the extended version some day, I'm retired, I have time  ;D
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #217 on: April 03, 2021, 02:34:31 AM »

Yeah loved the book. I’ll also have to venture into the extended version when time permits.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #218 on: September 23, 2022, 10:39:19 PM »

Has there been any news when Lewisohn’s second volume will be released?  At this rate my as yet non existent grandchildren will have to read the third volume in my place.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #219 on: September 24, 2022, 08:59:56 AM »

Has there been any news when Lewisohn’s second volume will be released? 

No, Mark won't be tied down by a date and he's doing a show this autumn on 1962.

I'll make a rash prediction and say the second volume may come out in 2024 for the sixtieth anniversary of the Beatles arrival in America.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 09:02:38 AM by zipp »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Page created in 0.729 seconds with 78 queries.