Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is Cash overtaking Lennon as a dead artist?  (Read 3202 times)

Wayne L.

Is Cash overtaking Lennon as a dead artist?
« on: August 20, 2006, 09:59:24 PM »

I hate to say it, but I think the late, great Johnny Cash, is overtaking John as a dead artist these days. I remember how it was, after he was killed back in 80, since it was like a mania in itself, but Milk & Honey wasn't as praised as the latest Cash album.  Lennon's music in the Beatles & as a solo artist is timeless, without a doubt & generations will be listening to him years from now.  It looks to me like the man in black is overshadowing the former Beatle more so after his death & I don't think I'm exaggerating.  

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
Re: Is Cash overtaking Lennon as a dead artist?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 10:14:45 PM »

both appeal to different fanbase and both have become mainstream enough that 75% of people knows at least 2 of their songs. it only seems to be overshadowed because he had a movie released and lennon has yet to have one, he will and when he does, not only will hell freeze over, but there will be a massive influx of people who never heard or got into his music start to listen.
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 10:15:34 PM »

It's because Cash has recently died and has had an excellent biopic made about his life. He obvously deserves all the recent attention because he was a talented artist but I don't think his fame will ever eclipse John Lennon's. But it's not a competition! :)

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 01:09:38 AM »

The latest Cash album? The one with loads of covers?

Sorry man.....respect the mighty voice of Cash but to comapare the two is insane to begin with. You would have to be mental to really believe that!

A bit premature for comparisons methinks. Sorry.....I did not see no worldwide vigil.....was there one?
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 02:05:26 AM »

which album? i know the Ring of Fire greatest has 2 U2 songs (cover of One and Wanderer which he did with them) and Hurt which i believe is a NIN cover and Highwayman which is done with willie nelson.

does the American V album have any covers? sounds genuine cash to me.
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

SallyG

• A Beginning
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 02:13:11 AM »

Johnny Cash has been gone for just less than 3 years. When it is that fresh, there is a massive renewed interest--people show up in droves to buy albums, I heard that the movie was fantastic, etc. Don't forget, that before John was shot, 'Double Fantasy' had already started to fall chart-wise, but when he was killed, it shot up to Number 1 for weeks. Vigils held around the world. A massive outpouring. That does not discount Johnny Cash's musical contributions, but they have nothing in common except they are both gone. If you are going to compare anyone to JL, pick one of his contemporaries like Elvis. They are probably neck and neck in merchandise available. People stand outside and light candles outside of Graceland, they do the same at the Dakota/Strawberry Fields. I have to admit, I'm a bit prejudiced. I don't think they will ever find an actor who has John's mannerisms or speech patterns. The videos I've seen are so contrived, it's sickening to watch. To Wit: "Two of Us". Unbelievably horrible. I don't know where you come up with this stuff Wayne (I know, I know, I'm a Liberal idiot and so on).

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 02:44:54 AM »

no no,  its liberal wacko/nutjob

SallyG

• A Beginning
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 11:50:12 AM »

Quote from: somedude210
no no,  its liberal wacko/nutjob

I beg your pardon, I get them mixed up sometimes.

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 07:00:33 PM »

its ok, as long as you know hes talking to you and the rest of the world when he says that. ;D

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 07:22:43 PM »

You must be crazy mentally & insane to think Johnny Cash could ever overtake Lennon as a dead artist, WL. You probably just discovered the Beatles in the late 1970s while I was already a dedicated fan when John sang Twinkle Twinkle Little Star for the first time in the 1940s. You probably hate The Beatles & listen to Britney Spears & Justin Timberlake & that means that for some reason you must be for the terrorists. Or something. And you must be a fairy too because you don't love beautiful women with long arms & sexy hands like I do.

SallyG

• A Beginning
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 07:35:52 PM »

I have to admit that when I first saw this thread and all you can read of the title is "Is Cash Taking Over Lennon?" I thought it was gonna be a post about Yoko's whoring of her husband. Anyone know what Havadtoy got as a settlement with her?

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2006, 10:30:37 PM »

Quote from: Biscuit_Power
You must be crazy mentally & insane to think Johnny Cash could ever overtake Lennon as a dead artist, WL. You probably just discovered the Beatles in the late 1970s while I was already a dedicated fan when John sang Twinkle Twinkle Little Star for the first time in the 1940s. You probably hate The Beatles & listen to Britney Spears & Justin Timberlake & that means that for some reason you must be for the terrorists. Or something. And you must be a fairy too because you don't love beautiful women with long arms & sexy hands like I do.

You rock.

<3333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2006, 12:07:23 AM »

oh sure, when someone stoops to wayne's level of responding its awesome and he gets showered in love, but when i go and question his very existance and tell him that if he responds he has to respond in a smart response (which he has yet to respond to me). but nooo i dont get any love over here..."give me love"

im gonna sit right down and cry over you  :'( :'( :'(

hold me al ;D :P (hey, its brokeback beatle forum moment)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2006, 08:04:56 AM »

Mairi:  :B  :)
Somedude:  :K) ;D

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2006, 11:42:15 AM »

Quote from: 343

Erm.....  :K)

LOL!!! ;D

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2006, 11:57:21 AM »

Quote from: 343

If you ask him nice he could put a towel on his head, pretend to be Bin Laden, then you'd be in nutjob heaven
don't follow leaders

Wayne L.

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2006, 04:31:23 PM »

I discovered the Beatles way back in 69 when I was about 5 listening to the radio & didn't know their complete history until around 75/76 if you knew how to read BP.  If you expect anybody to believe you were a fan, when the band didn't even exist back in the 40's as I recall, but they were youngsters, you're crazier than I thought.  You probably belong in a mental institution as far as I can see Biscuit Power & I wouldn't doubt it if you were a terrorist, bcause you're not a Beatles fan.  Oh yeah, your favorite singr Britney Spears just had a baby & I bet you're her father, because you're just as crazy.  

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2006, 05:07:30 PM »

Wow, I'm the father of Britney's baby... That's no doubt the weirdest insult I ever received.

Thanks for the new signature. Love it.

Wayne L.

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2006, 06:39:49 PM »

You're one crazy bastard aren't you kid.

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2006, 07:35:03 PM »

hahaha, oh wayne. such a dumbass
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 79 queries.