Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Timelines  (Read 2281 times)

Casbah

• A Beginning
Timelines
« on: November 24, 2013, 04:48:18 AM »

Im sick with a cold, home, and bored. I was looking at some images on one of the facebook threads and this one caught my eye. Fans and the media always talk about the Beatles happened at a special time in our history when everything was moving and changing so fast. The difference between these photos is roughly 2 years and yet the differences are amazing to me. The clothes, the photography style, the latter seems light years ahead. And only 2 years later, it's almost a whole different world once again.

When I think back to 10 years ago, I couldn't tell any marked difference between 2004 and 2008 to be honest. Nothing really changed in the new millenium, except for some advances in technology.  But back in the 60's, everything was changing so rapidly at the same time. Fashion, technology, arts, music, and the Beatles managed to ride that wave and not only stay relevant, but were highly regarded as architects and innovators of a lot of that change.

Such an amazing time. I wish I could have participated in it as something more than a toddler :)
"Someone told me a few minutes ago they saw John walking on the street once wearing a button saying "I Love Paul." And this girl said she asked him, "Why are you wearing a button that says ' I Love Paul'? He said "Because I love Paul."

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Timelines
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 05:53:52 AM »

...and the Beatles managed to ride that wave and not only stay relevant, but were highly regarded as architects and innovators of a lot of that change.

! was a teenager during the 60s and was 20 when they broke up.  The 60s was a fast-paced and often tumultuous decade.  So much was happening in the world; the space race, the war in Viet Nam, the peace movement, revolutions, and the assasinations of the Kennedys and Martin Luther King.

The music scene changed at a hectic pace.  The decade started with the loss of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and "J. P." Richardson, Jr (The Big Bopper) still fresh in our minds.  Elvis was still away in the US Army, Rock n' Roll acts had been cleaned up after scandles involving some of the better artists.  Girl Groups became popular, so did folk music.  The Wall Of Sound was developed by Phil Spector, Surf Sound and The Beach Boys and The British Invasion.  There was a big push in county music with crossovers to R&R.  Bob Dylan went electric and psychedelic music began evolving.  There was MOTOWN and jugband music and a bit of leftover doo-wop music.  And everything culminated with Woodstock.  And there was the denoument with Altamont.

Through it all, The Beatles seemed to be the vanguard in music, clothes, hairstyle and the drug scene.  They were always present whether touring or later on in the studio.  We looked forward to their movies and their music videos shown regularly on The Ed Sullivan Show.

Yes, Casbah, the 60s was a decade unmatched by others decades since in its fast pace and continuous change.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 07:18:32 AM by Hello Goodbye »
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 05:54:58 AM »

Feel better soon, Casbah.

KelMar

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 07:03:58 AM »

When I think back to 10 years ago, I couldn't tell any marked difference between 2004 and 2008 to be honest. Nothing really changed in the new millenium, except for some advances in technology.  But back in the 60's, everything was changing so rapidly at the same time. Fashion, technology, arts, music, and the Beatles managed to ride that wave and not only stay relevant, but were highly regarded as architects and innovators of a lot of that change.

Great observations Casbah. My daughter and I recently had a discussion similar to what you said about the lack of change in the last decade. But the 60's...wow! Times really were a changin' back then and I've always thought that The Beatles were a perfect mirror of those changes. I have to laugh when I see the pictorial evidence put forth by the true "Paul is Dead" believers. That could apply to every one of them given how much their appearances changed.

Such an amazing time. I wish I could have participated in it as something more than a toddler :)

I was pretty young then too but I do remember a lot of things about the 60's, thanks to having a sister who was 15 years older than me and a brother who was 10 years older. My brother was very good about spending time with me so I knew the music and styles. His one buddy always asked me if I wanted to go to California with him and be a Flower Child. I was totally agreeable to that and I even packed my suitcase and ran down the road after them one time! So while it would have been a great time to be a teenager we are very fortunate to have all the music, videos, and books, not to mention the great people here who did live it, to show us how it was. Add to that the fact that a lot of us have that same spirit within us and the essence of the sixties will live on.

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 07:34:50 AM »

Yeah, all good points here. I think because the Beatles were leading the way that everything looked and felt so new and fresh.

And the way the music changed in so little time! Between heir first album and Pepper is a mere 4 years?!

You could take any musical act of the last thirty years and do the same thing - look at the differences in their sound over any four year period of their careers - and there would be barely legible change!

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 08:48:55 AM »

The wonderful thing about music in the 60s is that the artists/groups kept up with technology, mastered the technology, and then had new new technology to learn and master.

The time it all went to pot?!
If you've ever seen pictures of groups (usually with beards and awful clothing) behind huge consoles in the studio with over 100 tracks available for over-dubs, sometime in the early 1970s.....that's when technology has over-taken the artists forever.

Another reason for the freshness of the music is because it literally was fresh.
Most Beatles' 45s were made for the format - increasingly after the 60s 45s were simply lifted off albums.
In the case of the Stones, every single A or B side, that's 30 songs, released in Britain in the 60s was a new song - you bought a Stones 45, you got two new songs.

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 03:32:28 PM »

Feel better soon, Casbah.
a cold comfort

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 09:42:56 PM »

a cold comfort

No, Dirk, the sentiment was genuine.  Derision adds nothing to this or any other thread.

Casbah

• A Beginning
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 05:30:06 PM »

Thank you, thank you, my cold is doing better, almost gone thanks to some raw apple cider vinegar my gf recommended. Nasty stuff.

I enjoyed reading the responses!   
"Someone told me a few minutes ago they saw John walking on the street once wearing a button saying "I Love Paul." And this girl said she asked him, "Why are you wearing a button that says ' I Love Paul'? He said "Because I love Paul."

KelMar

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 05:49:48 PM »

Thank you, thank you, my cold is doing better, almost gone thanks to some raw apple cider vinegar my gf recommended. Nasty stuff.

I enjoyed reading the responses!   

Glad to hear you're feeling better, Casbah. I hope it only took one dose of that nasty stuff!

Page created in 0.501 seconds with 58 queries.